Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D800 RAW workflow?

Robb Mann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 RAW workflow?

Could use some help here. I'm having serious troubles getting any of the "D800" compatible editors to read my files. Since there isn't already an active thread on this, i'm suspecting user error. Photoshop/ACR, Lightroom and Capture one all fail to understand the D800 files, and as far as I know I'm on the most current versions of all.

Capture One - Ver 6.4.1

Adobe CS5 ver 12.04 with ACR 6.7

Lightroom 4

I'm loading the photos through Nikon Capture NX2 tethered to the camera.

So far, the only reliable RAW reader I have is PhotoSmith on the iPad.

Thoughts?

May 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Lance B
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 RAW workflow?

Don't know whay Capture One would not read the files, my Capture One reads them fine.

May 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Robb Mann
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 RAW workflow?

Lance, how are you getting the files off the camera? I'm using CaptureNX2. I will try to have Capture one pull them directly.

May 12, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Lance B
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 RAW workflow?

Robb Mann wrote:
Lance, how are you getting the files off the camera? I'm using CaptureNX2. I will try to have Capture one pull them directly.

I upload the files to a folder, then open the folder in Capture One Pro 6. I do not pull them via Capture One, but just download them via the computer through a fast card reader.

I arrange my folders in date order for easy reference. They are grouped under year first, then month and then I put them in groups of about 100 RAW images per file and name them say May #1, then May #2 etc.

May 12, 2012 at 01:13 PM
Garrick L
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 RAW workflow?

Have you downloaded the latest Adobe Camera RAW? This is what I had to do to get CS5 to read my Raw files. I loaded the Beta version earlier but now I see that V7.1 is released for down load. I also download with the D800 tethered using Nikon Transfer within the latest View NX2 software available on the Nikon USA website. Here is the Adobe V7.1 Camera Raw Good Luck!

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html

Garrick Liddell Photography

May 12, 2012 at 01:22 PM
JohnKraus

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 RAW workflow?

I've always found every new release of Capture One to be potentially buggy. I know 6.4 shows D800 NEFs fine. Perhaps there's a problem with 6.4.1. I always save the last version of Capture One until I know the latest version is working.

Adobe Camera Raw's latest release candidate is available for download. I think it's 7.1Beta. I'm using it and it opens D800 files fine. I'm using with PhotoShop CS6.

I normally work in Aperture and it's been opening D800 files fine. Usually I import via card reader directly into Aperture. I'm hearing that programs which handle D800 NEFs do not necessarily handle D800E NEFs yet. So if you're shooting with an E version, that could be an issue as well.

May 12, 2012 at 01:24 PM
billyb5
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 RAW workflow?

i have a nikon d800e on order. i have capture nx1 and photoshop cs5 and view nx2...will i be able to store nef files with this camera or not?

May 12, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Robb Mann
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 RAW workflow?

Caputure 1 4.6 AND 4.6.1 both fail for me. I have never used Capure One, so perhaps some time with a tutorial? I'm just launching and trying to open/import D800 NEF files.

I am NOT upgrading to CS6 because I find Adobe's business model to be deplorable - it is appaling to drop support for a product less than a year old and offer a very expensive upgrade as your only option forward.

It's very frustrating cause me, or my computer are obviously not working right and I don't see what I can be doing differently. :-/

May 12, 2012 at 03:34 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 RAW workflow?

billyb5 wrote:
i have a nikon d800e on order. i have capture nx1 and photoshop cs5 and view nx2...will i be able to store nef files with this camera or not?

I'm not sure I understand the question.
But I'll answer since I use the same and have a D800e.

Yes.

May 12, 2012 at 04:11 PM
crewshin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 RAW workflow?

billyb5 wrote:

Of course you will be able to store the files. Just open up a finder/windows explorer and copy the files to your destination. No additional software needed.

May 12, 2012 at 04:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 RAW workflow?

Are you using a card reader that is compatible with the cards you are using in the D800? You put the card in the reader and then go to any of these programs and use the "import" function under file. It will find the the card reader, upload the images, and save them to a location of your choice. BTW, always delete the images from the card using your camera format function.

Using tethering to load the images is the problem you are encountering with LR and Capture 1.

May 12, 2012 at 04:38 PM
powderific

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 RAW workflow?

Lightroom 4 has worked great for me, and while Capture one 6.4.1 crashes a LOT, it reads D800 files fine once it's up. Seems like the issue might be related to tethering?

May 12, 2012 at 04:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 RAW workflow?

JohnKraus wrote:
I've always found every new release of Capture One to be potentially buggy. I know 6.4 shows D800 NEFs fine. Perhaps there's a problem with 6.4.1. I always save the last version of Capture One until I know the latest version is working.

Adobe Camera Raw's latest release candidate is available for download. I think it's 7.1Beta. I'm using it and it opens D800 files fine. I'm using with PhotoShop CS6.

I normally work in Aperture and it's been opening D800 files fine. Usually I import via card reader directly into Aperture. I'm hearing that programs which handle D800 NEFs do
...Show more

7.1 release candidate is for CS6 only

May 12, 2012 at 09:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 RAW workflow?

Robb Mann wrote:
Caputure 1 4.6 AND 4.6.1 both fail for me. I have never used Capure One, so perhaps some time with a tutorial? I'm just launching and trying to open/import D800 NEF files.

I am NOT upgrading to CS6 because I find Adobe's business model to be deplorable - it is appaling to drop support for a product less than a year old and offer a very expensive upgrade as your only option forward.

It's very frustrating cause me, or my computer are obviously not working right and I don't see what I can be doing differently. :-/

CS5 is now over 2 years old. it was released in april 2010. and they have supported it quite well in that time. the fact that ARC 6.7 rel candidate is there shows they are supporting the product. no there will be no further developement on it after this release but that is a natural progression. CS6 is a fairly major upgrade. if you can afford you hardware you can afford your supporting software. in this case, after all, it is your choice flawed logic and all.

Edited on May 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2012 at 09:52 PM
billyb5
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 RAW workflow?

i figured i could tether the camera to the pc and download that way, as i am sure i dont have a scaNdisk reader for the cards a d800 would use..hmmmi hope that will work for both video and fotos. thanks for those who answered

May 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 RAW workflow?

you don't have a CF or SD card reader?. the best one out there right now costs about $40. reads both types of card. its USB2/3 too.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845797-REG/Lexar_LRW307URBNA_Professional_USB_3_0_Dual_Slot.html

May 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM
billyb5
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 RAW workflow?

yes i do..i wasnt sure the new cards were different size..good they are and can be read. thanks.

May 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 RAW workflow?

no you just need bigger (in volume to support the larger images) and faster (to support the throughput)

May 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Robb Mann
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 RAW workflow?

Mystery solved. If you copy the files (tethered from the camera or off a card reader) using any Nikon software (transfer, view or capture) the files are unreadable to any other software.

If you copy the files using windows explorer (standard drag n drop) then everything seems to work.

May 13, 2012 at 02:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 RAW workflow?

The cataloging capabilities, not to mention keywording, works like a dream in LR. It's very simple to setup import settings an keep them as user presets.

This is a very useful video that explains everything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmfMzYjujE&feature=g-u&context=G2deb0dfFUAAAAAAAFAA

May 13, 2012 at 02:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password