Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

hi...

Just got my Gossen digipro f light meter here's my question:

When metering with Aperture priority of course this will give me the shutter speed pair., now when I press & release the M button... the aperture value stays [ which is normal ] but the 3rd digit keeps -on changing...what is this small number next to the bigger number f - stop value.?

for example:

in AV priority mode I set the aperture to: f:2.01

then you press M button, the aperture value changes to: f:2.06

what are these smaller 1 & 6 digits?

I've read the manual it doesn't say anything about it.

Please enlighten me.

Edited on May 12, 2012 at 01:48 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

ok just too be clear, here's a pic with aperture set at f/1.4 what's that small number "2" for? [ next to 1.4 ]

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/images/images_big/gs_digiprof_1.jpg

Do I need to add that number to 1.4?

May 12, 2012 at 01:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

its f1.4 plus 2/10ths to the next whole stop. it is a highly accurate meter. the same on the sekonic meters

X10    11mm    f/11.0    1/50s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 12, 2012 at 02:57 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

sjms wrote:
its f1.4 plus 2/10ths to the next whole stop. it is a highly accurate meter. the same on the sekonic meters

sjms,

I don't get it bro... yours the f-stop is clocking 1.4 then you have 5. How do I enter this value in my camera? should I just put in f:1.4 & ignore the 5.

or shall I do this: 1.4 + .5 = f: 1.9? which rounds of to f/2.0?

and f2.0 will the one entered on the camera.? not 1.4?

May 12, 2012 at 03:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

bushwacker wrote:
sjms,

I don't get it bro... yours the f-stop is clocking 1.4 then you have 5. How do I enter this value in my camera? should I just put in f:1.4 & ignore the 5.

or shall I do this: 1.4 + .5 = f: 1.9? which rounds of to f/2.0?

and f2.0 will the one entered on the camera.? not 1.4?

no its halfway between 1.4 and 2.0 . remember you are now shooting your camera in manual including iso. you have the option to control you aperture up to , depending on your setup, between whole, 1/2 and 1/3 stops

May 12, 2012 at 04:05 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

sjms wrote:
no its halfway between 1.4 and 2.0 . remember you are now shooting your camera in manual including iso. you have the option to control you aperture up to , depending on your setup, between whole, 1/2 and 1/3 stops

bro pls be patient with me here...based on the picture you posted the f value is 1.4 and then small number 5.

what f value should I enter my camera?

May 12, 2012 at 06:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

let us first get onto some common ground.

what camera are you using?
in what mode are you trying to shoot your camera in?

(P)rogram nikon and the rest (P) on canon
(S)hutter preferred nikon and the rest (Tv) on canon
(A)perture preferred nikon and the rest (Av) on canon
(M)anual nikon and the rest (M) on canon

May 12, 2012 at 06:46 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

sjms wrote:
let us first get onto some common ground.

what camera are you using?
in what mode are you trying to shoot your camera in?

(p)rogram
(s)hutter preferred
(a)perture preferred
(m)anual

In manual mode on Canon 20D. and yes I have to plug in ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture value manually.

The only thing I am not sure of is this F value that I am getting just like your sekonic.

My Gossen says for example f:2.0 and then small number 2

Your sekonic says f:1.4 then small number 5

I have no problem with ISO and shutter values because they're straight up. ISO 100 and 500sec. shutter speed.... yes I understand this.

So aperture value that reads 1.4 with small number 5 what is that mean?

If there's no smaller number next to 1.4 I will understand right away it's 1.4.

May 12, 2012 at 07:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

the difference between the 1.4 to 2.0 to 3.5 and on has been divided into 10 reading segments between each value. this gives a more accurate reading that may or not be usable depending on you camera and lens. if i were averaging using the small number 1-3 go to the lower whole f stop 3-6 shoot an both the lower and higher value 7-9 and the next higher value shoot there at that value. if shooting raw you have the ability to adjust in post for taste.

http://yuen-kit-mun.suite101.com/camera-lens-aperture-or-f-number-tutorial-a214755

May 12, 2012 at 07:55 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

sjms wrote:
the difference between the 1.4 to 2.0 to 3.5 and on has been divided into 10 reading segments between each value. this gives a more accurate reading that may or not be usable depending on you camera and lens. if i were averaging using the small number 1-3 go to the lower whole f stop 3-6 shoot an both the lower and higher value 7-9 and the next higher value shoot there at that value. if shooting raw you have the ability to adjust in post for taste.

http://yuen-kit-mun.suite101.com/camera-lens-aperture-or-f-number-tutorial-a214755

I am lost man...

let's go back to your sekonic picture, your sekonic tells me to enter these readings on the camera.

ISO: 100
Shutter: 1/30 sec.
Aperture: what value shall I enter here?

tnx.

May 12, 2012 at 08:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

either f1.4 or the next higher stop you have. you do not have the ability to use that smaller reading other then to ballpark in whether you are going to go higher or lower with your available f stops. in the case of my particular reading in my room i would shoot at1/30th/s f1.4 and then at 2.0 and look at the differences on my computer.

are you shooting raw or jpg?

the advantage of shooting raw is the ability to adjust for differences in the image within a range. essentially, to an extent reshoot the image again in the computer.
also remember that you are metering incedent light. that is the light hitting the object you are shooting where a camera reads reflected light off the object.

you will not be using this in Av mode M is where you use an external meter.

in Av mode you you control the aperture but the camera will control the shutter. so any Aperture value you change will then cause the cameras computer to recalculate the shutter speed.

May 12, 2012 at 08:32 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

sjms wrote:
either f1.4 or the next higher stop you have.

so it's f/1.4 then...

May 12, 2012 at 09:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

close enough

May 12, 2012 at 09:34 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

sjms wrote:
close enough

thanks a lot bro.... I read and re-read all your posts.

then I stumbled upon this site.

http://www.scantips.com/lights/fstop.html

it became clear to me when he said this:

Notes: f/stop = sqrt(2)^(stop number + fraction) If you set your flash meter to read in tenth stops, it may read for example: f/8 plus 7/10 stop. This is NOT f/8.7. It is 7/10 of the way to f/11 - about f/10.

which you initially stated.

So in short this Gossen & Sekonic when they say 1.4 with small number "2" which is 1.4 plus 2/10th of a stop = f/1.52 actual aperture

again tnx bro I got it now.

May 13, 2012 at 02:29 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

bushwacker wrote:
So in short this Gossen & Sekonic when they say 1.4 with small number "2" which is 1.4 plus 2/10th of a stop = f/1.52 actual aperture

Exactly. Also if you have a lens that has an aperture ring you can turn the aperture ring about 1/5 of the space to the next stop f2 if you're in manual mode.

The Digipro F manual actually does refer to this. Go to page 12 and under 3.2.5 Aperture Priority mode go down to the fourth bullet. The second sentence reads: "Automatic adaptation of the aperture in 1/10 stops to the measured shutter speed."

It's rather cryptic, but essentially what's happening is this very accurate meter is reading out that at a straight f1.4 you're very slightly overexposed at 1/60s and it gives you the correction value of 2/10 of a stop above that. You've worked out what that means for your digital camera but maybe it's time for Gossen to do those calculations for all f stops and make that an option for display in the meter.

May 13, 2012 at 04:21 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

I realized that I have to approximate the nearest f-stop on my camera based on the readings. the analog scale of this Gossen digipro goes full stop and half stops.

May 13, 2012 at 05:45 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

Yes you're correct. It's a great meter and perfect for me as I shoot high latitude film and my lenses have half and full stops. But they really do need to modernize it.

May 13, 2012 at 09:05 PM
larry flagg

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

how did I get on facebook by trying to join gossen?Larry flagg

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:20 PM
larry flagg

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question about Gossen Digipro F

how to I change the setting that correct the gossen digipro f?

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:22 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password