Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Enjoying the newish 5d2 and 17-40L

Scarborough sunrise by robjdickinson, on Flickr

Edited on May 13, 2012 at 07:45 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2012 at 01:38 AM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Nice shapes. I know someone will point out the blown out highlights in the water and sunset, but I think that works and is entirely appropriate to the image.

May 12, 2012 at 02:00 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Thanks, yes I chose to blow the hilites rather than under expose the rest. 3 stop hard grad already in place!

May 12, 2012 at 02:15 AM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Interesting. Different, but there is something about it I like. Nice job.

May 12, 2012 at 03:02 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

2 more from this morning.

Cave Rock Starburst by robjdickinson, on Flickr

Tripping the light fantastic by robjdickinson, on Flickr

May 13, 2012 at 05:06 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

no comment on Cave Rock Starburst ?? Would like to know what people think of the lens flare.

Good, bad, ugly?

May 14, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Rob, on the lens flare. Star like flare is one thing and can be acceptable but the reflective barrel imaging showing up detracts from the shot I think. The writing draws your attention away from the subject of the shot and the circular ring does nothing to draw your attention into the shot. Ditch it, IMHO. The last is very nice. Keep pushing the limits. some may not work but the ones that do are usually very special. Rick

May 14, 2012 at 04:38 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Sorry writing?

The flare is genuine and on the raw file so I cant ditch it, just ignore it.. or clone it out..

May 14, 2012 at 05:50 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

I struggle with flare and have yet to figure it out. If it has flare in the raw other than the star burst effect, I consider it a lost image. I have worked on getting rid of secondary flare for days on a single image where I was careful in the taking and had multiple exposures to choose from or blend.

If you like them or accept them, nothing needs to be done. That part of the question is subjective in nature. For my taste, I prefer not to have more than the star effect at the light source.

At a recent David Meunch presentation, he said try to get the sun when it is at 1/16 or less exposed. Meaning 15/16 of the sun is still behind cover. I have not had a chance to try that yet.

I think filters hurt because they offer more surfaces for flare. I think the general wisdom is to stop down and keep the sun toward the middle of the image.

Edited on May 14, 2012 at 03:19 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2012 at 02:46 PM
TripleYYY
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

These are all very nice. If images are for personal use, it doesn't matter if there is flare. Also if you like it, no problem at all, you are shooting and processing to suit your own likes. For commercial sales, then its a different story.

Y

May 14, 2012 at 02:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Hey thanks!

Yeah I get this probably isnt a saleable image unless someone specifically requests it.

Ben thanks for the tips. I dont mind lens flare in landscapes sometimes if its a feature but yes in general I do try and avoid it. IMO this image isnt special enough for me to go to the lengths needed to remove it.

And yes filters do tend to flare more, they arnt multicoated or anything (just hitech resin grads) so I guess they will refract more.

May 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

RobDickinson wrote:
Hey thanks!

Yeah I get this probably isnt a saleable image unless someone specifically requests it.

Ben thanks for the tips. I dont mind lens flare in landscapes sometimes if its a feature but yes in general I do try and avoid it. IMO this image isnt special enough for me to go to the lengths needed to remove it.

And yes filters do tend to flare more, they arnt multicoated or anything (just hitech resin grads) so I guess they will refract more.

I recently tried to use my new Singh Ray reverse which is a good quality filter on my 17TSE. My filter adapter had broken so I had to hand hold it. The 17TSE has a bulbous front element and you could sure see the reflection on the lens from the back side of the filter. This was not even an into the sun shot. Just ambient sky and too many reflecting surfaces. Anyway, the shot was impossible without a filter, so I attached a 24TSE and did a two shot stitch with the filter in a proper holder.

May 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Yeah I've looked at the 17tse a few times, still not convinced, when i shoot that wide I am almost always using filters.

Have a friend who had a 14-24 and sold it due to flare in almost every shot.

May 15, 2012 at 01:19 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

RobDickinson wrote:
Yeah I've looked at the 17tse a few times, still not convinced, when i shoot that wide I am almost always using filters.

Have a friend who had a 14-24 and sold it due to flare in almost every shot.

I was pretty good when the filter holder worked, no CPL of course, but good with grads if I was not into the sun. I have my eye on the Zeiss 15 that was just announced. It has a threaded front.

May 15, 2012 at 01:23 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

But also has a fixed lens hood, what were they thinking!

May 15, 2012 at 01:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

RobDickinson wrote:
But also has a fixed lens hood, what were they thinking!

Gulp, they sure do.

May 15, 2012 at 02:18 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Dremmel time...

May 15, 2012 at 02:25 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

The first is my favorite. Can't take my eyes off the wooden post and the sea foam.

Phil

May 15, 2012 at 04:11 AM
RangerRick

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

The first one is great. I like the composition and don't mind the burned out areas - they add to the effect. Nice capture.

May 16, 2012 at 04:15 PM
cpoole
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Scarbourough Seascape (NZ) + 2 new

Rob,

The first rally grabs my attention in a big way. As far as blown highlights, if I were standing there looking at it with my eyes, the highlights might be "blown" then also. The fact is, the shot looks real! That is an effect I am after in my own work lately.

Good one!

May 17, 2012 at 06:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password