Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Focus Mode - AF-D vs AF-S

Berschwinger
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Focus Mode - AF-D vs AF-S

I was shooting toddler portraits yesterday and got a little frustrated with my gear. I shot the first half with a Sigma 50 1.4 (HSM) with the camera in AF-Continous (since she was moving around so much). Everything went smoothly as expected. The second half was in tighter quarters, so I switched to a Nikon 35 f/2 AF-D. I was still in AF-Continuous and noticed that if I was holding the AF-on down while waiting for a good facial expression, the focus would push all the way to infinity after a few seconds, and at that time I would be unprepared to get the shot until it came back from infinity.

Long story short, is it generally better to use AF-D glass with AF-single rather than AF-continuous? Does AF-S glass function better with AF-C than AF-D glass? I normally use AF-single, but I felt like in this setting AF-cont would give more reliable focus. Is there a way that I could avoid this problem with a technique change?

May 11, 2012 at 05:49 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Focus Mode - AF-D vs AF-S

I always use AF-C with back-button focus on release priority. And since I shoot old D2 bodies, which have high-torque focus motors, focus speed between AFS and AFD lenses isn't that different (tho AFS is still a bit faster).

May 11, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Berschwinger
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Focus Mode - AF-D vs AF-S

That's how I've got mine set - AF-on with release priority. It's not really an issue of speed but more of focus travel. The AF-S seems to be making small adjustments, while the AF-D goes all the way to infinity and back. My tamron 17-50 is a non-BIM, and in my memory it does very well with AF-C, and I normally don't have any complains about my 35mm. Maybe it was just hunting in poor light and the 50mm being a f/1.4 handled focusing in that lighting better?

May 11, 2012 at 09:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfletch
• • •
p.1 #4 · Focus Mode - AF-D vs AF-S

Berschwinger wrote:
...while waiting for a good facial expression, the focus would push all the way to infinity after a few seconds, and at that time I would be unprepared to get the shot...

I'm not sure why you're having this problem, but I shoot with the AF-s and AF-D lenses, and use the same AF configuration, and I've never had the above happen in decent lighting.

May 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #5 · Focus Mode - AF-D vs AF-S

Could it be a lighting issue? I know that when there's just not enough light, every lens I've got will hunt back and forth, while when there's more light, the shifts are slighter.

May 12, 2012 at 05:58 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Focus Mode - AF-D vs AF-S

Maybe it was just hunting in poor light and the 50mm being a f/1.4 handled focusing in that lighting better?

This ^ I also shoot the D300s
Using a filter will exacerbate the hunting problem just sayin'

May 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password