Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · A rant about Adorama

Steve Beck
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A rant about Adorama

I have to say this company seems to be a bait and switch company. There website and inventory system is antiquated. First off I pre-ordered a D800 with 1 minute of receiving the pre-order email. Nobody at that company could tell me why I never got a D800 and would not tell me how far down the list i was, every other company can.

Seocnd:
I saw their website showed an Olympus OMD in stock, i called and they guy said no we do not have any we will not have any until mid to late May. I said good thing i did not order it and you need to fix your website. About 3 hours later it finally showed not in stock.

Third:
I unfortunately missed the 4 o'clock shipping deadline for my usual place I order to get a light kit overnight for a shoot this saturday. So hey I will try Adorama ONE MORE TIME... I ordered some paper and the kit at 6:20-30 EST way before there "order by 7 it ships time"... Well they ship the paper overnight bit then the kit goes into back order status.... and does not ship.... Now I call he says you didn't order by 7m YES I DID! Well its shipping to day you'll have it Monday. I said nope need it today or saturday morning. he says sorry. He also said no refund for overnight shipping. I cancel the kit and the freaking paper is coming overnight and I get stuck with $60 f;ing dollar overnight shipping for paper I didn't really need overnight!!!! This company burns me up and I will make sure everyone around the web knows how shady they are.

Sorry for my rant.....

May 11, 2012 at 01:44 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · A rant about Adorama

Wrong Forum and I'd sure shoot Helen Oster a PM before startin' a whine-thread on FM

May 11, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #3 · A rant about Adorama

yeah i only really look at the nikon forum and the B&S. Sorry to post in the the wrong forum, monkey.... I did she was not helpful.. isn't that what the internet is for the "whine"?

May 11, 2012 at 01:54 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · A rant about Adorama

I am wondering what forum this story should go into?
It is helpful to me, and perhaps to others.

May 11, 2012 at 02:08 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · A rant about Adorama

Sorry to hear this, very surprised Helen couldn't help. You may be left with this option then...
refuse delivery and dispute the charge with your CC company. I had this happen with high dollar
"wine" overnighted (ordered WELL within cut-off time) for Mother's Day last year. Showed up
4 days later. AMEX totally had my back. GL

@William...
Forum & Miscellaneous

Edited on May 11, 2012 at 02:14 PM · View previous versions

May 11, 2012 at 02:11 PM
James Burden
• • •
p.1 #6 · A rant about Adorama

Forum and Miscellaneous - With all the other rants/raves, etc.

May 11, 2012 at 02:12 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · A rant about Adorama

Dealing with Adorama or any of the large stores like B&H (or Home Depot or Lowes etc.) can be frustrating. They are just too big and have lost what it means to have customer service. Also, the smaller brick and mortar photography stores don't seem to carry the more high end stuff or don't have the selection any more. It is our fault that in the search for low prices we drove the neighborhood stores out of business or scale back drastically. Now we are suffering because customer service is no longer part of the low prices we are now demanding and getting from the larger stores.

All said and done, I still think Adorama and B&H are not intentional bait and switch stores. They have their downsides, but in general they are honorable businesses, at least what I have found till date. It may change in the future, but for now that is what I think.

Good luck with your shoot.

May 11, 2012 at 02:12 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · A rant about Adorama

James Burden wrote:
Forum and Miscellaneous - With all the other rants/raves, etc.

Thanks, James...not 'rocket science' eh?!

May 11, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #9 · A rant about Adorama

Steve Beck wrote:

yeah i only really look at the nikon forum and the B&S. Sorry to post in the the wrong forum, monkey.... I did she was not helpful.. isn't that what the internet is for the "whine"?

Really? I tried to help you and you told me quite clearly "I am ordering elsewhere...."

May 11, 2012 at 02:59 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #10 · A rant about Adorama

So you placed a preorder for a D800 and then one minute later you were crying about something? What does any of this have to do with adorama?

May 11, 2012 at 03:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · A rant about Adorama

Quite frankly, your post has a very hostile tone which isn't very productive for resolving anything. It sounds like you approached each situation with unrealistic expectations, then got rather hostile when your expectations were not met.

May 11, 2012 at 03:15 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #12 · A rant about Adorama

AMaji wrote:
Dealing with Adorama or any of the large stores like B&H (or Home Depot or Lowes etc.) can be frustrating. They are just too big and have lost what it means to have customer service.

I'm really sorry you feel that way. We are still a family business and take customer care very seriously.

AMaji wrote:
I still think Adorama and B&H are not intentional bait and switch stores. They have their downsides, but in general they are honorable businesses, at least what I have found till date. It may change in the future, but for now that is what I think.

As I tried to explain - unsuccessfully - to the OP, if stocks are low and orders are placed simultaneously via our website, the 'phones and in store, plus via our affiliates such as buy.com or Amazon (to name 2 of the biggest), stocks can be depleted in seconds immediately prior to another customer going to check out.

Our website updates only every 30 minutes, to allow for the cancellation of orders - usually due to change of heart or the wife! - which typically occur during the first 20 minutes after an order is placed.

However, in this case that isn't relevant. The Westcott 43" order was due to ship overnight tonight tonight but the OP cancelled - so not sure what I am being required to do?

May 11, 2012 at 03:24 PM
BrianJarvis
• •
p.1 #13 · A rant about Adorama

Personally I've had nothing but great service out of Adorama, with fast free shipping, the D800 shortages is not an Adorama issue, it's a Nikon issue. No one knows when or how many they will get. I recently ordered my 70-200VRII from Adorama and it arrive in a few days. Awesome lens by the way.

May 11, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #14 · A rant about Adorama

My rant that put me over the edge is not the camera stock. It is about the light kit and paper..... The cameras just added fuel to the fire...

May 11, 2012 at 03:33 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #15 · A rant about Adorama

Cancelled because there is no way I will get it by tomorrow at 10 am..

May 11, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #16 · A rant about Adorama

Of you can make that happen without me paying again for overnight shipping I'll retract my statements...

May 11, 2012 at 03:36 PM
passthegravy
• • •
p.1 #17 · A rant about Adorama

I've never had anything but good experiences with Adorama. I think there are a lot of others here who are happy with Adorama also. I know you felt the need to vent, but it is very presumptuous to come on here and call them "shady" and "bait and switch". Problems sometimes occur. People are human and make mistakes. But "shady" and "bait and switch" connote bad intent by the store, and that is certainly not the case with Adorama.

May 11, 2012 at 05:40 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #18 · A rant about Adorama

Steve Beck wrote:
I unfortunately missed the 4 o'clock shipping deadline for my usual place I order to get a light kit overnight for a shoot this saturday.

This company burns me up and I will make sure everyone around the web knows how shady they are.

Uhm. . . . well. . . . . uh . . . . . I'm speechless. Trashing a company you don't have a relationship with for failing to bail you out when you didn't take care of business? What's the internet coming to?

May 11, 2012 at 05:50 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #19 · A rant about Adorama

Ordering by there 7 o'clock deadline should be sufficient, it wasn't.... So I'm yeah why advertise order by 7 and it ships if you can't do it....

May 11, 2012 at 06:18 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #20 · A rant about Adorama

Helen Oster wrote:
I'm really sorry you feel that way. We are still a family business and take customer care very seriously.

Ms. Helen,
Thank you for following up. I am comparing you or B&H with our local Brick and Mortars. They are just a little more responsive. Also, when you walk in there, you know what they have and what they don't.

The example for HD or Lowes was to show how we fare with them compared to the neighborhood hardware stores. In no way did I mean to compare your service with that of Home Depot, that would be very wrong for me. If I did that inadvertently, I want to make it clear that I did not want that.

Again, Adorama and B&H are fine places to shop for all products photographic (and video).

May 11, 2012 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password