New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 playback with 2 cards

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 playback with 2 cards

So I'm still getting accustomed to Nikonland. Digging the D800.

Currently I'm testing out the CF + SD recording abilities. My only problem is when in playback, it will eventually cycle between CF and SD cards.

1. I only want to see the images on the CF card. Is there a function for this?
2. I would also like to see the remaining count available on each card if possible...currently I don't see a way to do this outside of taking out one of the cards and viewing the back LCD (since I can't show both ISO and remaining count on the top LCD, lame).

May 10, 2012 at 05:58 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 playback with 2 cards

Spencer,

I noticed the same thing with the playback showing the images from both the SD and the CF card. That is totally stupid. I don't see an option to change that and frankly I can't imagine who would actually want that... so hopefully a firmware update will fix it. I don't remember how my D3s does this... it'd be nice if the camera were smart enough NOT to show images that are backups of other images. I hope they fix this with a firmware update.

As to your second question, yeah I could see how that could be useful in certain situations. Not something that will affect me as I expect to use the camera with the slots set to backup and to use identical sized cards in both slots... so the count should always be accurate.

in terms of seeing both the remaining count and iso on the top lcd... I dunno... I'm not going to say that it wouldn't be nice... 'cause it would... but let's put it this way...

I'm either shooting in auto-iso in which case I don't really care what ISO is being used or I've deliberately chosen an ISO and likely know what it is.

I don't usually shoot on a tripod without looking through the viewfinder... and the viewfinder does show the ISO...

if for some reason I really needed to know the ISO and see it on the top LCD I could tap the ISO button and it will show me what the iso is

I have the CF set so that when I turn on the lighting my back lcd shows the camera settings... that does show both ISO and remaining frames...

so bottom line I don't think that's a big faux pas

since our conversation though I'm definitely noticing some ergonomics things that could definitely be better. Changing ISO is not comfortable for me if I don't want to move the viewfinder from my eye. It's doable but not comfortable.

May 10, 2012 at 08:20 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 playback with 2 cards

Ok, so I went and checked my D3s.

It does the same thing (shows you the content of one and then the other card).

This tells me two things:

1. Nikon is not likely to "fix" it.

2. Maybe there's not really anything to fix. Otherwise why didn't it bother me until you brought it up?

So yeah... my D700, single slot camera, I'm pretty sure that if I looked thorugh the images once it got to the end, it would then cycle back to the first image.

If that's the case then in practical terms there's no different behavior, provided that the two cards were always used as backup to one another and the images are identical. If indeed one of the cards has stuff different than the other... then maybe the implementation is actually *better* than an implementation that might hide the other images on the "backup" card.

Anyway... this is not to say that I'd be opposed to a CF that says "Display only images from Primary card" YES/NO

Ciao!

Alessandro

P.S. Found that changing the iso is less uncomfortable in PORTRAIT orientation... just thought I'd share that... still would be nice if it were better

May 10, 2012 at 08:31 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 playback with 2 cards

Ale, it lets me assign the AEL button, but like the preview and function button, they are all practically useless. It would be nice if I could use the AEL button to change ISO speed (hold it down and use front dial or change), or any of the other customizable buttons with no significant purpose.

May 10, 2012 at 08:35 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 playback with 2 cards

here's how I use the buttons.

on my D700 not the D800... haven't finished configuring the 800 yet.

I have programmed the four shooting banks as follows:
A. 1/100 Ambient Auto
B. Indoor Flash
C. Outdoor Flash
D. 1/80 ISO Max Auto

those mostly deal with preselecting ISO levels, whether to use AUTO ISO and if using it what the limits are on both Shutter speed and max iso.

I have programmed four custom banks as follows:

A. Bread and butter
B. Flash
C. Tripod
D. Tourist

these affect various other things as well but in terms of the buttons...

Bread and butter has the buttons configured like this:

AEL - Open first item in my menu, which is set to the SHOOTING BANK choice... so I can easily choose between the various banks mentioned up top
PV - AE LOCK - this is needed for my auto-iso that works like Manual shooting technique
FN - bracketing burst

Flash has the buttons configured like this:

AEL - INSTANT DISABLE FLASH (take a shot without flash)
PV - AE LOCK (see above)
FN - FV Lock (to lock flash level)

Tripod has the buttons configured like this:

AEL - Instant DISABLE FLASH
PV - AE LOCK
FN - Virtual Horizon display

Tourist, in terms of buttons is the same as bread and butter but it does things to make it easier for me to get a decent photo if I hand my camera over to someone else.

Anyway... it would be nice to have the buttons more configurable so that you could make one of the programmable ones be for ISO, but I woulndn't agree that the customization buttons don't serve a purpose

Then again I come from shooting film. I'm not used to changing ISO every 29 seconds... so the relative discomfort in changing iso was not something I noticed.

Besides... I have a really hard time finding rational scenarios where I really want to shoot in modes other than my locked exposure auto-iso... except for heavy flash use scenarios... and those are tipically scenarios wehre the iso really is Set it and forget it

Ciao!

Alessandro

May 10, 2012 at 09:02 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 playback with 2 cards

sboerup wrote:
So I'm still getting accustomed to Nikonland. Digging the D800.

Currently I'm testing out the CF + SD recording abilities. My only problem is when in playback, it will eventually cycle between CF and SD cards.

1. I only want to see the images on the CF card. Is there a function for this?
2. I would also like to see the remaining count available on each card if possible...currently I don't see a way to do this outside of taking out one of the cards and viewing the back LCD (since I can't show both ISO and remaining count on
...Show more

Here is what you to do. When review your images, press zoom out ( the minus button) a few times till you see "Playback slot and folder" menu appears. By default, the highlighted card slot is the one that you specified in the shooting menu. Now, you can select a different slot for viewing. Question #1 is answered.

Now for your Question #2, all you need to do is to press the INFO button on the back of the cam and now the remaining shot count is spelled out right there for you on the lower right side of LCD. By default, it shows you can the count for your default slot, which is also shown on the low left side of the LCD. If you want to view both slots, you can either assign the "Primary slot selection" to a button, such as PREVIEW, or you can set up a shooting menu bank, such as B, so that you can toggle quickly. I prefer menu bank, because you can press INFO button twice, and it defaults to menu bank A, and all you need to do is to press OK button so that you can select a different menu bank.

Edited on May 10, 2012 at 09:46 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2012 at 09:39 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 playback with 2 cards

mshi wrote:
Here is what you to do. When review your images, press zoom out ( the minus button) a few times till you see "Playback slot and folder" menu appears. By default, the highlighted card slot is the one that you specified in the shooting menu. Now, you can select a different slot for viewing. Question #1 is answered.

Now for your Question #2, all you need to do is to press the INFO button on the back of the cam and now the remaining shot count is spelled out right there for you on the lower left side of LCD.

Just tried both, and neither give me what I was looking for

For #1, yes you can zoom out during playback and select which folder. However, if you go to the left, it will still switch between SD and CF for playback.

For #2, it only shows me the remaining count on one card. My intention is to have one card recording to Fine M JPG (which would give me a LOT of JPG files on a 32/64gb card). This card will remain in the camera just grabbing "good enough" backups. So it would be nice to see how many photos I have left on the secondary card.

May 10, 2012 at 09:44 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 playback with 2 cards

Just updated my previous post for #2.

For #1, you need to manually select which image to view by going through the images and paying attention to which card CF/SD is highlighted on the lower left corner.

May 10, 2012 at 09:56 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 playback with 2 cards

mshi wrote:
Just updated my previous post for #2.

For #1, you need to manually select which image to view by going through the images and paying attention to which card CF/SD is highlighted on the lower left corner.

Thanks for the update.

For #1, my problem isn't identifying which card is which. I'm glad they show you SD & CF, as the 5D3 doesn't show you on the screen, only inside the menus.

However, I'd really like the functionality of the 5D3, where you select which card shows the images. I just want it to show me ONE card, not both simultaneously.

May 10, 2012 at 09:59 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 playback with 2 cards

sboerup wrote:
However, I'd really like the functionality of the 5D3, where you select which card shows the images. I just want it to show me ONE card, not both simultaneously.

Then you need to do the old fashion way, which is pull the other card out.

May 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 playback with 2 cards

Spencer,

as I said above, if you think about it, from a functionality standpoint you're not really losing anything from having the camera show you the shots in the secondary slot once it's done with the primary slot. Even the counters progress as you would expect them... not like it shows twice the number of shots.

Let's say you put a 64GB CF in there and set it as secondary (economics would certainly suggest using SD as primary) and you set the camera to RAW on primary JPG on secondary...

When you take a shot and then you go into playback, it shows you the shot in the PRIMARY card... so if you then move backwards you'll see the other shots on the primary card. Frankly I really think it's a non-issue and potentially a benefit because if you want to you CAN review the images on the backup/JPG card.

Now let's take your other question about seeing the counter.

Again, if your purpose is pragmatic then that functionality is unnecessary.

I've tested it myself and the SINGLE counter you see in the upper right is NOT the counter for the primary card, nor is it the counter for the secondary card. It's the counter 'till you'll run out of space on ONE of the cards.

So it's not like you could have a CF card there with just 10 Mb left, you plop in a fresh 32GB SD in the other slot and you might get caught with your pants down with the camera reporting a couple of hundred shots left when in reality you only can backup 3 more shots. In that scenario the counter would read 3.

Not saying it couldn't be useful to see both counts (sure, why not) but if the goal here is to have the relevant information available that counter is telling you how many more shots you can take and have the camera do what you want it to do (be it backup or be it shoot RAW to primary JPG to secondary)

one thing I'll say... if like me you're not used to using SD cards... you might want to get some crazy glue ... I'm thinking of gluing down the wrie protect tab on my cards. Nearly every time I put an SD in something (anything) I end up accidentally locking the darn thing... which of course is NOT something you want to have happen as you frantically change a card ahead of a major event in a wedding.

Don't tell me I didn't warn you crazy glue

May 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 playback with 2 cards

Spencer, I am frustrated by this too. Most frustrating is when using "delete" I believe it only deletes the image from the current card being viewed. Since I store RAWs on the CF card and backup jpgs on the SD, if I'm reviewing and deleting I just want to see what's on the CF card. But somehow even when I set it to CF card the view sometime someway switches back to SD inadvertently.

May 11, 2012 at 07:16 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 playback with 2 cards

ChrisDM wrote:
Spencer, I am frustrated by this too. Most frustrating is when using "delete" I believe it only deletes the image from the current card being viewed.

Hum... kind of what you would want in a backup, no? I mean I'm sure you don't want your computer's backup system to instantly mirror a delete, right?

I would (and have) also argue against deleting images in camera, for several reasons... some related simply to a mantra of minimizing write operations to my memory cards as I'm well aware write operations are when data corruption can occur. And yes a delete is a write operation (and more actually).

But yeah mirror deletes <> a good idea

May 11, 2012 at 08:45 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 playback with 2 cards

lisy78 wrote:
Hum... kind of what you would want in a backup, no? I mean I'm sure you don't want your computer's backup system to instantly mirror a delete, right?

No, I don't want a mirror delete. I want the camera to always view & delete from the CF card. I want it to leave my backup card alone in every way.

May 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.