Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · #501 Am I Missed?

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #501 Am I Missed?

I am no quick shot like Norm, but as soon as I saw the theme for this week, I knew exactly what my subject would be.

Our back yard is a densely wooded pocket in an urban setting, a creek runs through it after heavy rains. This ball showed up about three years ago, and I have wanted to photograph it, but never did, until I saw the theme this week.

Shot with the Brenizer Method, 16 images shot with my Canon EF 85 f1.8 @ 1.8. Thanks for looking, good luck to everyone this week.

EDIT: Adding a link to the Brenizer Method, instructions from the guy credited with the technique. The Brenizer Method

Am I Missed?

Canon EOS 50D    85mm    f/1.8    1/1000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #501 Am I Missed?

Sometimes the assignment for the WA is perfect for what we envision. Cool shot. I had not heard of the Brenizer Method so I did a Google search and found a YouTube video. I am going to have to try that. Nice to learn new techniques.

May 10, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #501 Am I Missed?

Oregon Gal wrote:
Sometimes the assignment for the WA is perfect for what we envision. Cool shot. I had not heard of the Brenizer Method so I did a Google search and found a YouTube video. I am going to have to try that. Nice to learn new techniques.

Thanks! I am paying for the shot now, I got a bunch of mosquito bites shooting this today.

I heard about the Brenizer Method from the Wedding Shooters board, it is becoming pretty popular in that genre. This was my first attempt at it.

May 10, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #501 Am I Missed?

I, too, learned about the "Brenizer Method" for the first time today; thanks for that, Travis...
Very nice photo, too; oddly, this WA immediately brought the image to mind that I wanted as well, funny how that can happen sometimes...

May 10, 2012 at 09:49 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #501 Am I Missed?

I hadn't heard of the Brenizer method either. Not surprising since I'm not into wedding photography nor extended out of focus areas.I like the way you use light leading into the ball, It is an interesting on-topic photo. Are you sure it is a ball and not an alien seed pod?
Norm

Edited on May 10, 2012 at 09:54 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #501 Am I Missed?

Tenn.Jer wrote:
I, too, learned about the "Brenizer Method" for the first time today; thanks for that, Travis...
Very nice photo, too; oddly, this WA immediately brought the image to mind that I wanted as well, funny how that can happen sometimes...

Thanks for stopping by Jerry. Glad you like it. It is funny how sometimes an idea comes so fast...and then other weeks not at all! I heard about this Method sometime ago, just had not found a subject to test it on. I was afraid more poor old computer might die trying to process it!

May 10, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #501 Am I Missed?

Oh, forgot to thank you for sharing your technique. Sometimes my hands type faster than my brain can think

May 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #501 Am I Missed?

normsmith wrote:
I hadn't heard of the Brenizer method either. Not surprising since I'm not into wedding photography nor extended out of focus areas.I like the way you use light leading into the ball, It is an interesting on-topic photo. Are you sure it is a ball and not an alien seed pod?
Norm

Hi Norm, thanks for taking the time to comment. I think that just about any effect or method can find a place in other types of photography, I will be trying this one out more in the future.

I too used to be a sharp as a tack front to back kind of shooter, until I was introduced to primes. Then the challenge is making the OOF areas as much a part of the composition as the focused areas. I only wanted to shoot this around the 4PM hour, so that I got the highlights through the trees the way they are, it makes the OOF highlights dance...an effect that intrigues me a lot, and has been a learning process. I could have gotten a very similar effect with one image with the 24-70L, but at 2.8 the bokeh was not quite the same, didn't have the energy.

Sorry...long winded again...thanks for looking.

May 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #501 Am I Missed?

Oregon Gal wrote:
Oh, forgot to thank you for sharing your technique. Sometimes my hands type faster than my brain can think

no worries, you are welcome...I just wish I was the creative fella that came up with the method...as it is, I am just someone trying to learn it, glad I could pass it on.

May 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #501 Am I Missed?

Great work Travis. More than the depth of field the lighting is spectacular. Normally this is blown highlights all over. The only down side is the average person has no idea how difficult it is to put together an image that has so much yet gives no compromises. Something to shoot for.
You keep setting the bar higher every week, which is good for all of us.

Rich

May 11, 2012 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #501 Am I Missed?

Now I have to take Monday or Tuesday morning off work to shoot what I want. Will anyone write me an excuse

May 11, 2012 at 03:18 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #501 Am I Missed?

very nicely done travis thanks for sharing the technique as well. I have also never heard of that method.

May 11, 2012 at 09:52 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #501 Am I Missed?

twistedlim wrote:
Great work Travis. More than the depth of field the lighting is spectacular. Normally this is blown highlights all over. The only down side is the average person has no idea how difficult it is to put together an image that has so much yet gives no compromises. Something to shoot for.
You keep setting the bar higher every week, which is good for all of us.

Rich

Thanks for taking the time Rich, I appreciate it. Before actually taking any pictures, I metered all over the scene, trying to figure out a good exposure that could be locked in and not changed. I ended up at a full stop underexposed for the highlights, just to maintain some of the detail in the shadowed leaves and tree sprouts. I still ended up with some bright highlights on the leaves in the light, and had to recover those, and mask them a bit to tone it down.

I don't know that I am setting any bar...just trying to keep up...the WA has been a real treat to get back into, and it has made me a better photographer, I enjoy it a lot.

twistedlim wrote:
Now I have to take Monday or Tuesday morning off work to shoot what I want. Will anyone write me an excuse

I know right, I have that problem all the time...maybe I could forge a note...nah, that didn't work out to well in school!

May 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #501 Am I Missed?

mark fadely wrote:
very nicely done travis thanks for sharing the technique as well. I have also never heard of that method.

Thanks Mark. I am surprised that is is a technique that is still not widely recognized. I have added a link to the person credited with it to the first post.

May 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM
robert829
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #501 Am I Missed?

what ever method it is i like this shot travis nicely done and great find too

May 13, 2012 at 07:54 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #501 Am I Missed?

robert829 wrote:
what ever method it is i like this shot travis nicely done and great find too

Thanks Robert.

May 13, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #501 Am I Missed?

Cool shot, will have to try that sometime.

Norm

May 13, 2012 at 03:21 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #501 Am I Missed?

Hightraxx wrote:
Cool shot, will have to try that sometime.

Norm

Thanks Norm. Give it a try, its an interesting effect. I can see it working for a variety of subjects.

May 13, 2012 at 04:29 PM
jvismara
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #501 Am I Missed?

joining the crowd... liked the shot, but you dig one step further into our curiosity adding the technique.
I shoot plenty of panoramas, many times its only 'cause I'm lazy of changing lenses, sometimes 'cause I like to grab 235 degrees... in any case never came to my mind this particular use of a panorama...
I'll give it a try...
again, great shot... and thanks

May 15, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #501 Am I Missed?

jvismara wrote:
joining the crowd... liked the shot, but you dig one step further into our curiosity adding the technique.
I shoot plenty of panoramas, many times its only 'cause I'm lazy of changing lenses, sometimes 'cause I like to grab 235 degrees... in any case never came to my mind this particular use of a panorama...
I'll give it a try...
again, great shot... and thanks

Thanks Jorge. I am always trying to learn, whether it is a new way of processing, or a new method of capture, always challenging myself to avoid getting stagnant. The WA is great for that for that sort of thing, it makes us think of new subjects, I thought I would throw in a new capture method too. I have done plenty of panos for width, but this new style for DoF was fun, and I can see doing it more. Glad it worked for you.

May 15, 2012 at 04:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password