Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

1customjeweler

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

Hi all,

I bought the camera on Ebay and just received it. I'm a former D700 user and I also own a D7000 and I don't see this happening on those two cameras. The closer the points to the active focus point the brighter they are (although all are pretty faint but noticeable).

I would very much like to hear if other D3S owners (or former owners) are seeing the same issue. If this is not normal, I would also like to know if the problem is related to the viewfinder (minor) or more towards the circuitry of the camera itself (major).

Thanks in advance!

May 10, 2012 at 08:32 PM
1customjeweler

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

I googled around and found this: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3S/D3SVIEWFINDER.HTM which indicates that it's normal.

I still can't believe that you can't turn off the illumination (on the D700/7000 the focus points show up as black instead of red). It seems to me that you immediately get less features after spending two to three times as much for the camera

I'm still curious to hear some of your experience just in case the article above is incorrect, though.

Happy shooting!

May 10, 2012 at 09:03 PM
anomalyconcept

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

When you say the focus points are illuminated, are you talking about how you can see all of them as faint red boxes in the viewfinder, like the viewfinder pic on the link?

If so, then I see the same thing, except to me the non-active points look about the same brightness. However, moving the AF point around changes the brightness. The points on the right side and the bottom are dimmer. If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with the way the viewfinder is wired to be able to selectively illuminate different AF points.

May 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1customjeweler

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

anomalyconcept,

I appreciate your response. After adjusting the "Focus Point Brightness" to +2 (Extra High) and looking at it more closely I think you are correct, they all look about the same brightness. I can't really tell if one side is brighter that the other though but I think the bottom IS dimmer (if I'm being picky and really look for it).

Can you turn the illumination off from your camera menu (item a6)? By "off" I mean to make the boxes show up as black instead of red like other lower-end cameras. Currently if I turn it off from the menu the boxes just disappear completely. This is my main concern actually. I guess I'm just being paranoid since the camera was not packaged too well when I received it.

May 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

Oh, it's a D3s, it should be fine with a bit of rough handling That's kind of what you pay for

May 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM
egd5
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

Going from memory here, but... I believe what you are seeing are the focus assist points. It all has to do with how you have the camera set with custom functions. It's normal, don't worry. If you didn't get a manual, you need to. It is a complicated piece of equipment capable of amazing things and it takes a while to learn how a lot of that stuff works.
And I believe the camera decides on its own whether to show black or red points depending on lighting conditions.

May 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM
1customjeweler

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

@Avi B, I hear ya. Part of me kinda want to roughen up the camera a bit that way I'll spend more time using it than babying it. I'm just concerned about the internal components getting messed up.

@egd5, yeah I guess I'm going to need to consult the manual (it came with it). I thought coming from the D700 wouldn't be that big of a jump but I've already came across a couple of distinctions especially in ergonomics. I appreciate you chipping in.

Anyway, went out in the evening pushing the ISO up on this thing, just being stupid and seeing how far this thing will go and it left me speechless. I kept checking at the setting to make sure it read 6400/12800 and not 640/1280 or something. It was the same feeling as when I first got my D700... all over again!

May 11, 2012 at 03:02 AM
anomalyconcept

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D3S adjacent focus points light up slightly

I've set both manual and continuous to off under A6- Focus point illumination.
When set to single or area AF (the selector below the direction pad on the back; bottom two settings), the box remains shown and red in continuous and single point mode and only disappears completely when put into manual focus mode (via the CSM selector).

If I put it into the top setting (the solid white rectangle; forget what it's called), the AF boxes are not shown in any of the CSM modes.

I don't recall if it changes between black and red boxes based on brightness, but I'll definitely keep an eye out.

May 12, 2012 at 03:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password