Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

LocoPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd throw this out here to maybe get an answer that googling wouldn't bring.

I know of RobGalbraith's article on CF cards, and I'll re-read it before I start buying a couple of cards, but wanted to ask this here:

What bargain CF card would you buy for a Nikon D800?

Size can range from 16GB to 32GB, and speed is helpful, but not the highest priority. I want to spend as little as possible without compromising reliability.

I don't shoot sports or anything that requires a fast buffer clear, but I never buy anything that is dog slow for obvious reasons.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your help,

Loco

May 10, 2012 at 08:13 PM
hjanssen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

I wouldn't buy a bargain card for, whatever, camera. I once had a bad card with important pics.......so since than it is Sandsik.

May 10, 2012 at 08:35 PM
LocoPhoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

I don't mean junk, I mean a quality card at a bargain price.

Thanks to the grace of living in America, there are almost always such deals in this country. That's what I'm trying to find. I almost never pay retail price for anything, as there are always deals for those who spend the effort to look and hunt around.

Thanks for the reminder warning, I wouldn't take a crazy risk either with low quality cards. Might as well leave the lens cap on right?

Loco

May 10, 2012 at 08:49 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

why skimp now after spending $3K on a body? I never understood why people do that, I'd get the best money can buy but that's just me

May 10, 2012 at 08:58 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

You can still get Sandisk or LExar up to 32gb for less money than the higher rated cards. At least for me these two are the most reliable.

Ron

May 10, 2012 at 09:03 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

Sandisk Ultra Class 10 30Mbps cards have been on sale recently for $30 for 32GB and $60 for 64Gb.

Checkm B&H, etc. I assume they are going to come out with faster cards soon. Class 10 are required for HD video, so they should be adequate for most photogs, unless you shoot a lot of fast bursts.

I have not seen better pricing for even lesser brand cards recently. Although Nikon can make use of some Lexar write acceleration, so you might check total throughput to compare.

Michael

May 10, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

Kell wrote:
why skimp now after spending $3K on a body? I never understood why people do that, I'd get the best money can buy but that's just me

Because maybe you don't need to shoot at 4 or 5 fps with it so spending loads of cash for a super fast card you never see the benefit from is a waste. Fast big cards cost a good chunk of cash.

OP I'm also looking for solid but slower cards at a lower price point. I don't think I've ever used any burst mode in 3.5 years with the D700.

Edited on May 10, 2012 at 09:12 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2012 at 09:10 PM
nick53097
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

How about SanDisk SDCFX-032G-A61 32 GB Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card 60MB/S - $94

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCFX-032G-A61-Extreme-CompactFlash-Memory/dp/B002O3KVSC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336684250&sr=8-2

May 10, 2012 at 09:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

I know where OP is coming from, though I don't have a D800 I'm servicing. I've generally opted for SanDisk Ultra II cards which handle my D700 without difficulty. I'd stick with a major brand and look for deals on the larger cards. Of course, you always have to be wary about counterfeits so I'd also stay with major retailers who'll be there next week if you have a problem. Happy shooting!

May 10, 2012 at 09:18 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

simply meant buy a name brand in whatever rating that suits your needs, not to just automatically buy their most expensive one, but I get your point

May 10, 2012 at 09:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

We use a mix of Transcend cards.... 16GB-32GB

CF cards are a mix of 133x and 400x

SD cards are Class 10 32GB.

No problems with any of them in the D800.

May 10, 2012 at 09:40 PM
tonyc90
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

I use a mix of Ultra and Extreme line of SanDisk cards in 16GB and 32GB. For me those are the best bang for buck and reliability. Check out http://dealnews.com/ under the Camera and Camcorder Deals section for good deals. They change daily so keep an eye on it often.

May 10, 2012 at 09:52 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

My card box consists of whatever was on sale when I bought the card. I carry more brands of cards than the local Sam's Club.

I had one card die on me, and I am guilty of 'cardicide' on that one. Yes, I killed it by removing it from the computer while it was copying files to the puter.

May 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

keep an eye on the For Sale forum or post a WTB,, have seen some good ones go for fair prices,,

Derry

May 11, 2012 at 02:48 AM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

at least a 400X speed CF card, to the OP, 'you've already got the D800, what are another few hundred dollars going to do to your wallet?'

Just saying

May 11, 2012 at 02:52 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

Adorama has week-long event going on for SanDisk CF and SD cards. Yesterday, I saw they have 64GB 60MB/s CF for $150, 32GB CF 60MB/s for $70. They have deals on SD cards today, just saw 128GB 45MB/s SD for $142.

http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD128GE45.html

May 11, 2012 at 03:02 AM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

I have a bunch of these in 32gb and 64 gb.
Relatively cheap and pretty fast!
$52 for 32gb for the 400X ones.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666608-REG/Transcend_TS32GCF400_400x_CompactFlash_32GB_Memory.html

May 11, 2012 at 04:04 AM
SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

Over the years I have bought quite a few different brands and I guess the bargain brands for me has been Transcend and Kingston. Have never had a problem with any of them.

May 11, 2012 at 04:19 AM
LocoPhoto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the input, and a few of the answers are the exact help I was hoping for.

Some 32GB for $30 would be great, I'll look into that tomorrow, otherwise the $50 recommendations are what I'll pursue.

To the ones that say "hey you spent $3000 on a D800, what's a few hundred more?" or "why skimp on cards", can I just offer that you reexamine the soundness of your own suggestion? Why waste money needlessly just because you can afford to? It's never wise to throw away money based on bad logic, and I don't mean that insultingly, but to help you protect your money from being wasted in little bouts of self-justifying impulses that I'm tempted by as well...but in the end the money is wasted and it doesn't come back to you. And guess what...there is always more you want, and always more you can't afford...unless you save where you can or make much more money than your desires require. Human nature always wants more, no matter how much you make, so making more than your desires can afford is pretty hard to do. I can afford the D800 first, by God's Grace to me, and second by trying not to waste money by giving someone $100 for something that I can get for $50. I don't tip someone 100% when the norm is 15% or 20%, so why would I waste money by tipping a CF card maker when they're not giving me anything different than an equal CF card maker? Do you see how your logic is hurting you? Doesn't hurt me , because I won't embrace it..but if I can help you save your own money I'd offer the above as food for thought, as money is too valuable to throw away. Now of course, add up those fifty dollar savings, and it's not long before you have an extra $500, which of course will buy a lens, can be given to someone in need, can buy a vacation of memories that will last a lifetime, etc....but when we take the "oh what's an extra fifty" when I already spent three grand approach....well the companies don't help you avoid yourself...they just take your money. I'd rather help you have the money for what you want when you want it, by showing you the mistake of being so careless. Hope this helps, really not trying to attack the logic, just point out its fallacy that will hurt your own budget and wants, as there is always more that we want, and we can't afford absolutely everything, be it cameras, cars, planes, homes, land, a business...pick the scale of purchase...wisdom is always applicable to spending, no matter how much you have or don't.

Loco

May 11, 2012 at 08:34 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone recommend best bargain CF card for D800?

Kell wrote:

+ 1,000,000

Your logic is flawed. The best camera in the world is useless if you don't capture the image with a card of proven quality.

May 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password