Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shooting the county fair

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting the county fair

I've been offered to shoot our local county fair, which is the biggest county fair in our state. Since they are a non-profit outfit the fee is a little low. They are offering $150.00 and free passes to any event in return for 50 images burned to a CD. They will use the images on their website and in other promotional areas. The fair runs for 5 days, but I don't have to be for every one of them. One more thing, the general manager of the fair is a good friend of mine.

Any thoughts as what I should do?
Thanks

May 10, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting the county fair

I'd take lots of photos at the grain silo safety booth where they suck toys into cut apart pop bottles for the kids to watch.

May 10, 2012 at 08:14 PM
farski
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting the county fair

Non-profit doesn't mean no-budget. I work for a non-profit and we always pay at or above average market rates for freelance designers/etc. If that's really all they can offer money-wise, I would push back and ask for some primo ad space or look for other ways to work together to earn some cash from the event. Perhaps exclusive rights to sell fairgoers candids (take a photo, hand them a card with the URL of your online store) or something like that. Free passes are kind of a gimme since you would need to go to the events to cover them, no? So really it's just $150 for what sounds like several days of work.

I say that knowing nothing about about this fair and it's organizers. If this is a very community driven event where people put it together in their free time everyone else involved works for almost nothing, than maybe $150 is the right price. But being the largest in the state, I would think it's bringing in some big crowds and their wallets, and other people involved are earning enough to make it worth their time.

May 10, 2012 at 08:31 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting the county fair

farski wrote:
Non-profit doesn't mean no-budget. I work for a non-profit and we always pay at or above average market rates for freelance designers/etc. If that's really all they can offer money-wise, I would push back and ask for some primo ad space or look for other ways to work together to earn some cash from the event. Perhaps exclusive rights to sell fairgoers candids (take a photo, hand them a card with the URL of your online store) or something like that. Free passes are kind of a gimme since you would need to go to the events to cover them,
...Show more

Thank you, this is the kind of help I am looking for.

May 10, 2012 at 08:37 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting the county fair

I appreciate the quandary you're in Leighton. It would be great fun to do this shooting, though the time may be hard to come by, both for shooting and for processing. It is also nice to be recognized. I imagine the offer was extended because these folks have seen your work and are impressed... as they should be. The downside is they aren't willing/able to pay very much.

When the local seminary contacted me to use one of my photos for their promotional material I was honored. But when they made an offer for the photo I felt I needed to ask the question of folks who would know about such things and spoke to two friends who are professional photographers. I realized, of course, that my getting this job meant that some pro wasn't going to have an opportunity to get paid. I decided that I wanted fair value for me work out of respect both to my friends and to myself. In this case, of course, they were looking for a specific photo that couldn't easily be duplicated because I'd shot from an unusual angle in ideal conditions. When I reported my price to license the image for a year, the director of communications tried to strong arm me, saying I'd been taking photos on seminary property without authorization. He was "willing" to give me authorization in exchange for use of the photo. I simply walked away. They came back two months later, very apologetic and I got my price.

I don't know whether you have aspiration for creating a business out of your photography. If you do this could be in investment in establishing both a presence and a reputation in your community. In that case, a loss leader is never bad. But I would only do this if it made good sense for you to do it. If their budget really is that tight, the options may be your excellent work or someone else's snapshots. In that case, if you'd enjoy doing it you might simply say yes and have fun. It definitely is an honor to be asked my friend.

May 10, 2012 at 09:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting the county fair

Thanks Curtis, you've given me a lot to think about. I guess the time it would take me away from the farm is the biggest question in my mind. The fair is in the middle of August, probably our busiest time of year.

May 10, 2012 at 09:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting the county fair

And as we've established before, you want a happy wife before just about anything... She might not look too kindly on having to handle the extra work while you're taking photos of pretty girls in sun dresses at the fair...

May 10, 2012 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting the county fair

CGrindahl wrote:
And as we've established before, you want a happy wife before just about anything... She might not look too kindly on having to handle the extra work while you're taking photos of pretty girls in sun dresses at the fair...

You think?

May 10, 2012 at 09:27 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting the county fair

She just told me she thought I was gonna cover the hog show!

May 10, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Trevorma
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting the county fair

She just told me she thought I was gonna cover the hog show!

Maybe you are going to shoot the "hog" show.... so what if those "hogs" are pretty ladies in skimpy sun dresses. !

Taking a hit is not a bad thing if it can and does lead to more work, but be sure you think it can.

May 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shooting the county fair

Trevorma wrote:
Maybe you are going to shoot the "hog" show.... so what if those "hogs" are pretty ladies in skimpy sun dresses. !

Taking a hit is not a bad thing if it can and does lead to more work, but be sure you think it can.

This is kinda of what I was thinking, thanks.

May 11, 2012 at 09:55 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shooting the county fair

farski wrote:
Non-profit doesn't mean no-budget. I work for a non-profit and we always pay at or above average market rates for freelance designers/etc. If that's really all they can offer money-wise, I would push back and ask for some primo ad space or look for other ways to work together to earn some cash from the event. Perhaps exclusive rights to sell fairgoers candids (take a photo, hand them a card with the URL of your online store) or something like that. Free passes are kind of a gimme since you would need to go to the events to cover them,
...Show more

I couldn't have said it better. Very good advice indeed.

May 11, 2012 at 02:14 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shooting the county fair

Great advice here from farski, Curtis, and others.

May 13, 2012 at 05:13 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shooting the county fair

mp356 wrote:
Great advice here from farski, Curtis, and others.

+1 on that!

May 13, 2012 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password