Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

kazinvan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

I was walking the dogs at Wreck Beach, too cold for the nudies to be out yet so hopefully I didn't get your hopes up. I was out shooting with the D800 and 105mm f/2.8 VR, hand held so not critically sharp. Found this interesting scene, with something out of place. You can use the resolution of the D800 to zoom in and find it, sort of like a Where's Waldo game

Full res link to flickr: farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7172221296_caa214ea0c_o.jpg

More photos from the walk posted here: http://mike.heller.ca/2012/05/a-walk-on-wreck-beach-vancouver-bc/

May 10, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #2 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

didnt found waldo, but unless it was shot at ISO1600+ you should rethink your RAW processing strategy.

May 10, 2012 at 07:07 PM
kazinvan
• •
p.1 #3 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

Fair enough, but I didn't spend much time processing this. Just a game, not something I will ever print. ISO 400, 1/160, f/5.6, hand held.

Another shot from the same day, with a bit more care but also not intended for print just to post online: Jammie

May 10, 2012 at 07:14 PM
joshn
• •
p.1 #4 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

I see it. It blends in quite nicely

May 10, 2012 at 07:18 PM
davidrwilliams
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

...now how'd that get in there?

From the looks of things, many D800 users are going to find the Nikon 100/2.8 VR macro somewhat "wanting" - on-axis central edge sharpness looks ok, but the relative lack of micro-contrast combined with high fringing and colour bokeh are really don't make the lens look very promising.

...once again showing that this camera looks like a lens breaker for all but the best glass.

May 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM
kaput

p.1 #6 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

I "used the force" and I found it...

May 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #7 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

I found the little dude, or lady. Funny.

May 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM
coresare
• •
p.1 #8 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

Jeez. That took me awhile to find

May 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM
kazinvan
• •
p.1 #9 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

davidrwilliams wrote:
...now how'd that get in there?

From the looks of things, many D800 users are going to find the Nikon 100/2.8 VR macro somewhat "wanting" - on-axis central edge sharpness looks ok, but the relative lack of micro-contrast combined with high fringing and colour bokeh are really don't make the lens look very promising.

...once again showing that this camera looks like a lens breaker for all but the best glass.

I don't disagree, the D800 is putting all of my lenses to the test. Having said that, you can still get more performance out of your lenses with the D800 than any other camera. So far, I'm loving the D800/105VR combo.

And the image I posted here is certainly far from perfect. Hand held with little regard for technique, quick and dirty post processing, certainly not a performance test for camera or lens. I knew this would be just a quick snap for fun, nothing else.

I think this pic is a better indicator of the performance of the 105VR on the D800, shot on a tripod with careful focus.
D800 105VR flowers

May 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

I've got to say, even with Fios 35 MB/S download speed, that file took forever to download. That is my greatest inhibition with the D800's. I've been hearing of a true D700 replacement that will run around 18MP, so I think I'll wait.....and hope the rumor is true....

May 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

davidrwilliams
• •
p.1 #11 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

coresare wrote:
Jeez. That took me awhile to find

...yup, took me two careful passes over the image.

May 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM
kazinvan
• •
p.1 #12 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

gregfountain wrote:
I've got to say, even with Fios 35 MB/S download speed, that file took forever to download. That is my greatest inhibition with the D800's. I've been hearing of a true D700 replacement that will run around 18MP, so I think I'll wait.....and hope the rumor is true....

Sorry, wouldn't make sense to downsample in this case

Nikon Rumors is talking about the D600, full frame, likely 24MP. They are usually right on the money, so I suspect this cam will get released later this year. Priced well as well, which will be great.

May 11, 2012 at 01:46 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

gregfountain wrote:

I've got the same FIOS service and it took about one whole second to download. You must have a bottleneck somewhere else.

May 11, 2012 at 01:38 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #14 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

Been through that thrice ... I give up What/where is it?

May 11, 2012 at 03:24 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #15 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

It's a toy. On the top part of the thingy, maybe a bit towards the right.

Ron

May 11, 2012 at 05:09 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

Nice! For sure the processing is a bit lacking with the highlights off the dead wood, but I think it looks very sharp! Now if only my 24-120mm was fairing as well on the D800...

Jim

May 11, 2012 at 05:18 PM
scottyz

p.1 #17 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

It seems so obvious after you find it the first time.

May 11, 2012 at 05:30 PM
scottyz

p.1 #18 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

It seems so obvious after you find it the first time. Thanks for the clue!

May 11, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Gregory.Rotter
• • • •
p.1 #19 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

gregfountain wrote:

Don't get your hopes up imho, Dual SD cards sound like a bad news to me.

May 11, 2012 at 07:46 PM
kazinvan
• •
p.1 #20 · D800 High Resolution Game - Wreck Beach Vancouver

Why do dual SD cards sound bad? I would prefer two of the same card vs different formats like they use on the D800 and D4.

May 11, 2012 at 09:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password