Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Hi,

About to order a D800e with lenses for backup to our main Leaf Aptus II-8 setup we use. Shooting ancient documents and books. On the medium format set up we are using (in FF terms) a 60mm and 95mm equivelent lenses all on a copy stand. We need lenses of approximately those focal lengths, Macro lenses and as flat field as possible. Also need a 35mm equivelent lens for very occasional use. These lenses need to be AF (sorry zeiss), sharp on a D800e's amount of pixels and the best quality. The lenses will be stopped down to approx f11 for various technical reasons. Similar filter thread sizes would be nice but not essential.

I'm a canon shooter out of the studio so I don't know anything about Nikon I'm afraid. What else do I need to shoot tethered with a Nikon D800e to Capture One? Cables, software, etc? Do I need a driver for the camera if using C1? Is thethering reliable usually or do I need specific express cards or other cards or mains power, etc like I need with the leaf? I need tethered live view, would I need Nikon software for this?

Many thanks!

Edited on May 10, 2012 at 04:38 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2012 at 04:01 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Forgot to mention, also need mains power for the camera.

May 10, 2012 at 04:38 PM
bortoni
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

The 60mm f/2.8 AF-S micro is the lens you want. It's excellent and not too expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-60mm-2-8G-Micro-Nikkor-Cameras/dp/B0013A1XDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336668418&sr=8-1

May 10, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

I'll need the 105mm as well I think. Trying to work out tethering stuff now, I need tethered live view and rock solid tethering software.

May 10, 2012 at 04:53 PM
pookipichu
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Take a look at the Sigma 70mm f2.8, truly one of the sharpest optics I have ever used.

May 10, 2012 at 05:10 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

I think the Nikon 105/2.8 VR Macro will be your best bet. It will give you the quality you need.

May 10, 2012 at 09:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Do you require 1:1 image reproduction. I have shot with Hasselblad 120mm macro HC on H3DII--- With a Canon 50mm Zeiss F2.0 makro, 100mm Zeiss 2.8 makro, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 65mm MPE, and Leica 100mm 2.8 mm macro. I had so many canon macros because I was not satisfied with any for all applications.

I recently got a Nikon 105mm VR for a D800. I am extremely impressed with this lens. It is a superb lens. All of the above lenses are sharp but the Nikon provides outstanding bokeh and great color reproduction, both of which may not be the most important factors for you. I am now carrying this lens in my travel bag even when i am limited to 2 or 3 lenses.

The other consideration are the Nikon 45mm and 85mm PC-E lenses. They are both macro range lenses but are not AF. I just got these two and so far I like them but need more time to make a more definitive statement.

I have not used tethered but have used the D800 live view feature. I do not like the nikon software but have recently downloaded a demo C1 --- really liking it so far!!

May 10, 2012 at 09:56 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

The best way to handle tethering with C1 is to use Nikon's own "Camera Control Pro", and then set Capture One to "watch folder" and "select newest". AFAIK no D800 tether support in the next update either (6.5). Talked to the development crew last week.

The 60/2.8 AFS is very flat field, and a good macro lens. the 105 is also very good, but unfortunately less "wow" on longer distances - but I think that is a minor concern in this case?

As you're shooting from a copy stand, both the Tamron 90mm and the Tokina 100mm are very good options too (in stead of the Nikon 105).

May 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM
K6AZ
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Well, after years of being on various forums I finally run in to someone else who does what I do. I'm not going to run through all the various things regarding technique since I'm sure you're already aware of them when it comes to doing books, prints, and portraits on a copystand. For full frame (FX) I think you will find 50mm, 70mm, and 100/105mm covers what you will need for macro. My lenses are the 50mm and 70mm Sigma macros and the Nikkor AF 105mm micro. I also have a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 macro for the rare occasion when I do antique maps and framed prints/portraits.

May 11, 2012 at 03:59 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Thanks guys! Costing is not a problem for the difference between nikon and 3rd party, the organisation is huge and if I told them to buy another leaf they probably would do it!

Tethering is a problem though. We will be using Capture One for processing, tethering to it for a D800 isn't included though (I wonder if phase one are doing that on purpose? they do have a history of it, capture one will not tether or even process any hasselblad files and the D800 has got to hurt their bottom line over the next year!). I don't mind using a watched folder but I need tethering software, reliable tethering software to send the file over. I can use an HDMI screen for the LV I suppose if there is no tethering software that does LV on the computer. Adjusting framing or polarisation with a camera on a copy stand is a nightmare!

The Nikon tethering software is 32 bit only, doesn't support the newer cameras and doesn't seem to support any of the latest mac software either. Bit silly considering the price they're asking for it. By all accounts it very buggy too.

May 11, 2012 at 06:45 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Do you have to get the D800e?

The D7000 does tethering into lightroom with a mac.

May 12, 2012 at 06:27 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Macro Lenses & other Nikon questions

Yup, before it existed the only other option would have been another 40 megapixel medium format back. This is a big concession already.

Sofortbild seems to be the answer on Mac, no live view but I think using the HDMI out will have to be the solution for that because even when we get C1 support for D800 tethering, LV won't be supported.

May 12, 2012 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password