New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · XQD error

ShutteredMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XQD error

Got my D4 along with a 32gb XQD card. I get an error when I put it in the camera. The 16gb card that came with the camera works fine. I tried to reader it on the computer with the reader and it doesn't see the card either. I think it's DOA... .
Anyone experienced any problem with the 32gb card?

-Quang

May 09, 2012 at 09:48 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XQD error

then i'd say you have a dud. these things are bound to occur.

May 09, 2012 at 09:49 AM
chuckbernard

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XQD error

I have the Sony XQD 32GB card and it works perfectly. In camera (D4) and in reader. So they are compatible with the camera

May 09, 2012 at 11:20 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XQD error

Must be a dud. I'm using two 32gb cards and both work wonderfully.

May 09, 2012 at 12:20 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XQD error

Thanks everyone, I've kinda guessed I got a dud... Just my luck!

May 09, 2012 at 12:42 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XQD error

Same for me, no problem. Did you check if there was nothing in the connector (I guess dust can easily get trapped on the contacts) ?

Guy

May 09, 2012 at 03:54 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XQD error

Guy, this is brand new just taken out of the packaging. Hope Nikon QA is not that bad....

May 09, 2012 at 07:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XQD error

when you produce a whole lot of things you are bound to throw out a questionable one once in awhile. your dealer/sony will resolve it and you'll be on your merry way shooting in a reasonable amount of time.

May 10, 2012 at 06:35 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XQD error

must resist comment about new tech reliability and production issues.

May 10, 2012 at 07:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XQD error

you should

as with every new camera (technology).

but then what "new" technology is this? this is nothing more then packaging existing technologies into a paricular format for a particular use. if you fear this i don't suggest you fly or drive. there's lots of "new" technologies used every new product cycle.

could have happened to a new CF card too right?

i still loath SD due to its lack of robustness. but i do work with it. a less physically reliable design which does result in an overall less reliable product.

May 10, 2012 at 07:35 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XQD error

sjms wrote:
but then what "new" technology is this? this is nothing more then packaging existing technologies into a particular format for a particular use* . if you fear this i don't suggest you fly or drive. there's lots of "new" technologies used every new product cycle.

*) with different communication protocol, different chips and software to control that protocol, another manufacturing process and robots for cards, connectors, on both camera and memory card sides,...

yes, could happen with one serie of CF card from one manufacturer too, but did it? I still believe XQD was just another nail into D4 coffin. Almost all heavy D3s users around me yawned totally over D4, same as i did. I believe nikon will make this upgrade cycle much faster and we will see D4s or D4x (or both) earlier then expected.

May 10, 2012 at 07:59 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · XQD error

it has many times as chronicled here and there.

so we should just sit back and rest on our laurels?

again there is nothing new under the sun here that does not exist in other equipment such as your computer itself (you know like PCIe [which this is]). its just been brought together (implemented) in yet another product. i live and breathe multiple technologies in what i do. this is much ado about nothing to me. the sky is not falling. i shoot news and such for the NPS (National Park Svc) here in the US part time all over. i move/shoot around with other news groups as Reuters AP and such. as far as gear goes in the past 2 months there has been a quick turnover to the D4 some even the D800. so your heavy D3s users are just one group (wedding shooters i deduce) in a considerably larger field of use. you can believe what you wish. i believe that XQD is closer to a nail in the coffin of standard CF but it will take some time to work its way in. i like them so far. faster at read and write, and this is only the baseline not even the A revision. better interconnect. no longer a 50 pin array. somewhat more compact yet it is robust physically. in this case i have no issues being the crash test dummy.

a limited view limits the viewer

Edited on May 14, 2012 at 09:27 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2012 at 09:29 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · XQD error

Kittyk wrote:
*) with different communication protocol, different chips and software to control that protocol, another manufacturing process and robots for cards, connectors, on both camera and memory card sides,...

yes, could happen with one serie of CF card from one manufacturer too, but did it? I still believe XQD was just another nail into D4 coffin. Almost all heavy D3s users around me yawned totally over D4, same as i did. I believe nikon will make this upgrade cycle much faster and we will see D4s or D4x (or both) earlier then expected.

I just use the darn thing and not a techie person, so just for my curiousity, but what do you find lacking in the D4 that Nikon would release a D4s? The improvements are not monumental from the D3s, but they are there. The D4 have the same or better ISO, more FPS, better DR, Higher resolution, more color dept, better video, faster memory speed, larger screen, and a huge buffer. Battery life is shorter, but I don't see that as a problem. I would think Nikon will have to work a hard to make further improvements from these. So what are we talking about 1-2 years, 2-3 years, or 3-4 years? A D4x with higher res? I don't know, the D800/E kind of taken care of that.

May 10, 2012 at 09:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · XQD error

there is always something in the minds eye as various technologies improve
its called the Tick Tock of the progress/design clock
they always bring newer technologies out on the Tick. then the Tock is a generally smaller revision as things progress.
Tock to me will be improvements (and they're never that hard) in the imager of course and better the even odds 2 XQD slots

you do have one of the most technically advanced and capable cameras around. "i just use the darn thing" w/o understanding isn't a promising user statement. it would be in your best interest to get to know its "techie" features/abilities. its got a lot of untapped power in that chunk of Mg to the user who knows how to harness it.

May 10, 2012 at 09:50 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.