New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

Hello,
I just bought Nikon 600mm F/4 VR. I realy don't know how to use Memory button on the lens. Does anyone know how to use that feature?
Please help me to figure out,
thanks
IJ

May 08, 2012 at 04:29 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

It is a focus lock, and here is a typical scenario:
Imagine you are waiting for an action you don't want to miss:
- you prefocus in advance to the distance where it will be happening
- press and hold the focus lock

- when it comes, simply press the shutter and the camera won't miss the shot, because the camera will not try to focus (no hunting) - the focus is already locked

May 08, 2012 at 04:31 PM
injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

So, I have to press the focus lock (AF-L) @ memory recall every time whenever If I want to focus different bird....
thanks for sharing

May 08, 2012 at 04:55 PM
injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

It means the camera and bird will be the same distance. If the bird moves closer, we have to press button again??

May 08, 2012 at 05:05 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

That's not how I use it, but there may be different methods.

how I use it:

you select a focus distance you want to sort of have as a "home" position, like a tree with a bird. you press the right memory set button on right of the lense by the camera, if that's where it is for you. Now the lense remembers that position.

you go back to that, you press any of the buttons around the front of the lense. It will go back to the preset distance- you don't need to touch the camera.

This prevents your AF from hunting all over the place if your bird flies away and you miss the shot and want to just look at the tree again.

May 08, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Patrick Lanius
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

There are three focus functions available on the lens. The AF-L | Memory Recall | AF-ON slider switch selects which of the 3 functions is in use.

Memory Recall - For the Memory Recall function, press and hold the Memory Set button to place the selected focus distance in memory. Then, to recall that distance, you simultaneously call for focus on the camera (half press of shutter or press the AF-ON button) while pressing one of the 4 focus operation buttons on the lens.

AF-L - This is the memory lock function. While pressing one of the 4 focus operation buttons on the lens, focus will stay locked even if you are calling for focus on the camera.

AF-ON - In this mode, pressing one of the 4 focus operation buttons on the lens will focus the lens even if you are not calling for focus on the camera.

Clear as mud? Try pages 28 and 29 of the manual

May 08, 2012 at 05:48 PM
injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

thanks Patrick

May 09, 2012 at 09:05 AM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 600mm F/4 VR

Learn the options well and you'll learn to love it. The lens will focus much faster using the lens buttons over calling focus via the body. I disable shutter focus and I don't recall ever needing to hit focus on the body when using memory recall, it just pops into focus and I shoot.

Just set up in one place (not like the 600 is a walk around lens anyhow), memory lock it on a place where there's lots of action and shoot normally for the balance of your field of view. Then when a subject hits that spot just swing over there and press the lens button once while doing it and you'll be in focus by the time you get on subject. Yeah, even if you're almost on the subject. It's that fast.

AF-ON is handy when you are just searching around for subjects and want to focus on them fast. I only use it when walking with my 500 as my hand is there. I found it too far out there on the 600 when swinging around on the gimbal, but that's just me. I sure miss the 600, but love being able to walk n shoot with the 500

May 09, 2012 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.