Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D7000 saving issue

Pmarshall

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D7000 saving issue

Hey everyone, I have a dilemma cannot find an answer for. Randomly my D7k won't save a picture, doesn't have to be continuous it can be a single shot. At first I though it might be the SD card so I had it warrantied with a brand new out of the box extreme pro class 10. I found one thread on google but person had same issue with no fix. I've cleaned out the SD slot and connector on card and already exchanged it. This just recently started doing this. I notice when in shooting the viewfinder turns red and totally stops taking pictures. I thought this might be in raw only so i jumped to jpeg but same thing. I also noticed when shooting jpeg i cant hold trigger down and get the max number of shots, after 6 or so it stops then starts then starts. When i first got the can i could take about 40 continuously in raw before it began to slow down, now maybe 4-6.Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you

May 08, 2012 at 12:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D7000 saving issue

just for giggles do a full reset on the camera per the manual. then format the card in camera and in program start a shooting run

May 08, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #3 · D7000 saving issue

That, too, was my suggestion. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1111709
Hopefully, Phillip can get this sorted.

May 08, 2012 at 01:05 PM
Pmarshall

p.1 #4 · D7000 saving issue

Thanks for the suggestions guys, ill be trying this asap when I get home today. Hooe that helps. Last thing I need is a picture not saving as I shoot a wedding or portrait session. Those candids will never happen again.

May 08, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Patrick Lanius
• • •
p.1 #5 · D7000 saving issue

Pmarshall wrote:
i cant hold trigger down and get the max number of shots, after 6 or so it stops then starts then starts

This sounds like it could be your focus priority setting. You didn’t tell us what your settings or conditions were. Based on your description, I'll assume you were blasting away at a moving object and set to AF-C mode. Try menu setting a1: AF-C Priority Selection = Release.

Pmarshall wrote:
I notice when in shooting the viewfinder turns red and totally stops taking pictures

Not sure about the “totally stops taking pictures part” (maybe related to above advice) but Nikon prosumer cameras do flash red in the viewfinder when focusing. This is normal. It's more noticeable in dark conditions. There is even a note about this on the troubleshooting page of the manual (page 299).

Pmarshall wrote:
Randomly my D7k won't save a picture

This sounds like the SD card. Use a Lexar or a SanDisk and see if it happens again.

May 08, 2012 at 01:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · D7000 saving issue

the new extreme card he is referring to is a Sandisk card

May 08, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Pmarshall

p.1 #7 · D7000 saving issue

Hey patrick, sorry for the unclarity. I'll elaborate on the settings. At first I thought the same about the focus so I def put on manual single no auto focus..and same thing. The red in viewfinder turn while viewfinder red and cam totally stops and I've shot a lot with this cam and that's the only time I've ever seen it do that. The sd card is SanDisk extream pro which I've exchanged 3 times.

May 08, 2012 at 01:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · D7000 saving issue

in normal or bright light it doesn't in low light it will

May 08, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Pmarshall

p.1 #9 · D7000 saving issue

Odd I've never seen it and I've shot very low light many times. The red is the entire viewfinder...whole viewfinder is bright red and cam stops shooting.

May 08, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Pmarshall

p.1 #10 · D7000 saving issue

Bout to do full reset so I'll keep y'all posted

May 08, 2012 at 08:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pmarshall

p.1 #11 · D7000 saving issue

So i went out and took 200 or so action shots RAW after reset with green button style and it didnt skip a beat, im gonna assume from now on its considered fixed! Thanks alot for everyone who posted here for your input and help.

May 08, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #12 · D7000 saving issue

Sweet! Glad to hear that.

May 08, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #13 · D7000 saving issue

One more good reason for some FM love!

May 09, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Pmarshall

p.1 #14 · D7000 saving issue

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO It started again today, i havnt changed any settings at all yet. Anyone have any other info about this? I searched nikonians and nikon and couldnt find anything. I will add this though, after shooting 4 quick burst shots of dog jumping in the air the camera just froze and didnt save the photo....what i noticed was the first time i hit the shutter button to take a picture it made this aweful noise...wasnt the smooth nice shutter sound but a weird clumpy sound. This make any difference with anyone on what it may be? By the way why cant i give rep points in here?

May 09, 2012 at 10:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · D7000 saving issue

then i must say its time for the more professional approach. AKA: nikon

May 10, 2012 at 02:15 AM
Pmarshall

p.1 #16 · D7000 saving issue

Nikons gonna crush me with costs and time without my camera I'm sure. I purchased the camera from Nikon directly as refurbished unit.

May 10, 2012 at 02:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · D7000 saving issue

don't you have a 90 day warranty for refurb?

May 10, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Pmarshall

p.1 #18 · D7000 saving issue

Yeh that's long gone...purchased August 2011. Sucks because I know Nikon will take forever to fix it and I have a lot of paid shoots this month through July. Blahhhhhh dunno what to do.

May 10, 2012 at 05:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · D7000 saving issue

hope for the best prepare for the worst. right now that is the limit to what you can do.

May 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · D7000 saving issue

are you using a 3rd party battery grip?? This happened to me once.....i would shoot shoot shoot and then it would show the last photo recorded as like 4329....then i'd shoot shoot shoot some more, and same thing 4329 was the last recorded...ALSO, i got a shutter error right before that, where the mirror flipped up, and stayed up (blinking ERR on the top LCD...had to pull the battery and fire again to get it to reset....it hasn't done it since, about 2 months....i attributed it to the battery in the grip (which was used first) was down to ZERO....i'm thinking that just before it switched over to the internal battery it didn't have quite enough juice to return the mirror....and then when it DID start shooting again it did the not recording thing....i dunno, so weird....hasn't happened again since....about 6 months before that it did the same thing, just the mirror ERR, not the lack of recording....i'll prob send it in eventually, but i've got backups....

May 10, 2012 at 01:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password