Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

Is GIMP 2.8 a viable alternative for photo editing? More to the point...if I currently use CS3 for image manipulation, would I be better served with GIMP 2.8? For years I've heard good things about GIMP but never paid much attention to it...but recently I saw someone working with it on a laptop and I thought it looked pretty good. I didn't want to ask too many questions as he looked busy and involved in his work but I thought this might be an upgrade over my old CS3 and best of all...it's free. Any thoughts?

Omar

May 07, 2012 at 08:17 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

It's still 8-bit only. If you don't use 16-bit, it's right there and free too.

May 07, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

It as doesn't handle dng, not sure about raw.

May 07, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

I used GIMP for many years (over a decade) until I got a half-price deal from Adobe on Photoshop. I still use it occasionally for a few things and there are some slightly corrupted JPEGs that PS refuses to open but GIMP will.

If you have CS 3, I'd stick with the Adobe path, and go for an upgrade to CS 6 while the getting is good. If you don't upgrade to it now, you'll have to pay full price for the CS 7.

May 07, 2012 at 10:53 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

LR4 plus CS3 would be a good combo in your situation......get the most out of the file with LR4 and use CS3 for the odd bit of fine tuning.

May 07, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

still not.

would be good if open source would would focus on making gimp viable alternative, but it is as it often in open source world is:
millions of half finished alternatives to MS Paint, but none to real pro apps. All open source image and video editing is just lost chapter, sadly.
i "hate" adobe and microsoft, but have to use them because, well, we all have to. At least i can avoid apple in my life, or at least i would feel very pathetic.

May 07, 2012 at 11:11 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

GIMP is indeed a good alternative. HOWEVER, there is a bit of a tough learning curve. This is especially true if you are not familiar with open source apps because there are other modules/plugins you will have to have to do things the way you are used to doing them in PS. Never the less, they can be done. It's just a different way of doing them.

If you are not heavy in editing photos I would do what Anthony suggest and stick with what you have or even go to PS Elements and LR4.

May 08, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

Gimp does just about anything you could ask of an editing prog. The 8 bit limitation is annoying, but if you do any large brightness / curve tweaking with the RAW converter (DPP for my Drebel), the negative effects are insignificant. Worth a try, IMO!

Jul 13, 2012 at 07:33 AM
10rth

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

Does GIMP work better with certain kinds of raw images compared to others? In other words, has anyone noticed that out of the major brands (Canon, Olympus, Nikon etc) there is a best choice to use with GIMP when shooting raw?

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GIMP 2.8...Good Alternative for Photo Editing?

anthonygh wrote:
LR4 plus CS3 would be a good combo in your situation......get the most out of the file with LR4 and use CS3 for the odd bit of fine tuning.

+1 @ this.

The jump for CS3 to CS6 obviously included the new ACR and a few bells & whistles. But, LR4 gives you the new ACR as well.

That being said ... I made the jump to CS6 because of Adobe's "last chance to make a big jump" positioning. If you're gonna jump ... jump to CS6 now. If you're not gonna jump and still want the advances in Adobe's ACR ... get LR4.

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password