Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · #500 At Home Asleep

mark fadely
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · #500 At Home Asleep

One of 600,000 homeless Americans.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    200mm    f/2.8    1/2000s    400 ISO  

May 07, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #2 · #500 At Home Asleep

A very sad sight. A lot of our people are suffering with no end in sight. Very nice take on the theme but feel sad about the gentlemen's circumstances.

May 07, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #3 · #500 At Home Asleep

Photographically, the subject floats in a plane of sharp resolution, both foreground and background pleasingly blurred to reduce emphasis and highlight the primary; telephoto compression at its finest...vertical lines of the trees and buildings contrast the horizontal line of the sleeping man...

Sociologically, it is an incredibly sad and much too common state of existence for far too many citizens of a great nation...

Good Work, Mark, on more than one level...
Jerry

May 07, 2012 at 07:07 PM
robert829
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · #500 At Home Asleep

Very nice mark i like this oneNice take on the theme.

May 07, 2012 at 08:22 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · #500 At Home Asleep

Oregon Gal wrote:
A very sad sight. A lot of our people are suffering with no end in sight. Very nice take on the theme but feel sad about the gentlemen's circumstances.

Thanks Barb,

I don't like these downer pics too much, but the fact that it envokes some emotion and discomfort is good. Thanks for your thoughts.

May 07, 2012 at 08:51 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · #500 At Home Asleep

Tenn.Jer wrote:
Photographically, the subject floats in a plane of sharp resolution, both foreground and background pleasingly blurred to reduce emphasis and highlight the primary; telephoto compression at its finest...vertical lines of the trees and buildings contrast the horizontal line of the sleeping man...

Sociologically, it is an incredibly sad and much too common state of existence for far too many citizens of a great nation...

Good Work, Mark, on more than one level...
Jerry

Thank you for the thoughtful reply Jerry. You have carefully disected the elements of this photo with a colorful commentary. I appreciate that. It's fun to read your take on a photo.

May 07, 2012 at 08:54 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · #500 At Home Asleep

A sad as this image is, it really tells the story of how many Americans are currently without jobs and homeless. Good capture, Mark.

-Nick

May 07, 2012 at 09:58 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · #500 At Home Asleep

robert829 wrote:
Very nice mark i like this oneNice take on the theme.

Thank you Bob,

I'm glad you like this one. Once again, this week seemed difficult to relate to the theme. I must be getting dense as I get older.

May 07, 2012 at 11:24 PM
robert829
• • •
p.1 #9 · #500 At Home Asleep

mark fadely wrote:
Thank you Bob,

I'm glad you like this one. Once again, this week seemed difficult to relate to the theme. I must be getting dense as I get older.

But but outside of the box you just nailed it

May 08, 2012 at 12:03 AM
ramorak
• •
p.1 #10 · #500 At Home Asleep

Just loaded up current entries to see how this week was going and this one jumped out at me.

Great shot Mark, for me personally shots like this which combine good technical elements with a strong photo-journalistic theme are winners. Well done.

(now if only you could have caught this in adverse weather conditions to really drive home the point... )

May 08, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #11 · #500 At Home Asleep

very poignant, it speaks to the viewer on many levels, somehow connecting us with this mans plight...excellent entry Mark.

May 08, 2012 at 12:28 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #12 · #500 At Home Asleep

Nice shot Mark. Well captured. As others have said it is an unfortunate situation. Images like this help us refocus and take notice. Well done. The only thing I might do is crop the tree out of the left and perhaps a bit off the bottom. I think you might have a winner.

May 08, 2012 at 12:30 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · #500 At Home Asleep

nburwell wrote:
A sad as this image is, it really tells the story of how many Americans are currently without jobs and homeless. Good capture, Mark.

-Nick

Thanks Nick,

This is not the kind of image I enjoy making, but I'm glad it is connecting with people, even in a negative way. I think every one of us has a fear of losing everything material as this guy has. On the other hand he is free to focus on the more important things in life.

May 08, 2012 at 12:53 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · #500 At Home Asleep

robert829 wrote:
But but outside of the box you just nailed it

Thanks for that Bob. You are so kind with your comments.

May 08, 2012 at 12:54 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · #500 At Home Asleep

ramorak wrote:
Just loaded up current entries to see how this week was going and this one jumped out at me.

Great shot Mark, for me personally shots like this which combine good technical elements with a strong photo-journalistic theme are winners. Well done.

(now if only you could have caught this in adverse weather conditions to really drive home the point... )

Hi Craig,

It's good to hear from you and thanks for taking the time to give such a nice and detailed comment. I agreee, the weather element could have really added to this shot. Too bad it was a nearly perfect day of sunny, warm conditions.

Hope you have time to get out and shoot some more soon.

May 08, 2012 at 12:57 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · #500 At Home Asleep

Travis Rhoads wrote:
very poignant, it speaks to the viewer on many levels, somehow connecting us with this mans plight...excellent entry Mark.

Hi Travis,

I really appreciate the nice comment. This was one of those shots that I rolled up on and thought, "this looks like a good opportunity". Then later I started to feel a deeper connection with this man and realized we have more similarities than differences. Each one of us is only a few bad circumstances away from lying on that same bench.

May 08, 2012 at 01:04 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · #500 At Home Asleep

twistedlim wrote:
Nice shot Mark. Well captured. As others have said it is an unfortunate situation. Images like this help us refocus and take notice. Well done. The only thing I might do is crop the tree out of the left and perhaps a bit off the bottom. I think you might have a winner.

Hey Rich,

I'm glad you like it, and I hear what you are saying about the cropping. I fought with the crop and tried a few different frames of the scene. I did try a significantly closer crop and didn't feel it captured the "environmental" aspect of the area. The tree on the left framed the subject better I thought. The space at the bottom I agree might need to go, but I get stuck on the 640x640 crop because I think it makes a better presentation with our size limitations here in the WA. I respect your ideas as I've been impressed with your work all along. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

May 08, 2012 at 01:09 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #18 · #500 At Home Asleep

Mark, Well done. It's hard to view this image without an emotional response to the tragedy of the situation.
Norm

Edited on May 08, 2012 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.1 #19 · #500 At Home Asleep

Very thought provoking.

Norm

May 08, 2012 at 02:09 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · #500 At Home Asleep

normsmith wrote:
Mark, Well done. It's hard to view this image without an emotional response to the tragedy of the situation.
Norm

Thanks Norm,

I'm glad the emotion was portrayed to you. Thanks for commenting.

May 08, 2012 at 05:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password