New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

Coming from Canon, I like the fact that there is a separate non-menu Mirror up option. But I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use the Timer delay and mirror up at the same time? I went through the manual and cannot find how one might select a timer delay for snapping an image with the Mirror up.

May 06, 2012 at 11:31 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

Hey Mark,

Not sure if you can shorten it. But if you use MUP, just press it once... and wait... about 20 secs later if you don't press the shutter release, it will take the shot for you. 20 secs is a bit long to wait, but it does have that ability. Personally, I don't understand if you are shooting, using a tripod, why anyone simply would not have a remote release to press the shutter after a couple of seconds... I think if we are buying a $3000 camera, we ought to be able to afford a $30 remote release...

Jim

May 07, 2012 at 01:19 AM
SteveF
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

There are a few features that are quite nice to have on each system (C, N) that for whatever reason are lacking on the other.

With N I haven't figured out a way to do mlu and the timer together. Of course one can use a cable, but when just wanting mlu on a shot the C solution is more elegant.

May 07, 2012 at 06:04 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

I figured it out. D4- exposure delay mode. You can delay up to 3 seconds in MUP.

May 07, 2012 at 08:14 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

I have used exp delay mode for quite some time. I can see that if you wanted to wait for something to happen in the shot that MUP would be useful ,(agree, cable release needed) but any other time the delay mode serves the same purpose.

May 07, 2012 at 12:27 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

Well i ordered the shutter cable but sometimes when doing some macro at low shutter speeds like to have mirror up and not touch the camera so a 1 to 2 second delay is fine... then i do not have to worry about finding the cable

May 07, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

It's also nice to not have to tote so many accessories around (e.g. cable release) for every shot. I like my cable release, but I also missed the M-up delay on my Canon cameras. Thanks for finding the equivalent on the Nikon.

Arka C.

May 07, 2012 at 01:26 PM
utildayael
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirror Up and Timer on D800

mark1958 wrote:
I figured it out. D4- exposure delay mode. You can delay up to 3 seconds in MUP.

Correct. Starting in D4/D800 you can set how many seconds to delay too. It was on/off prior IIRC.

May 08, 2012 at 02:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.