Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Coin Collection

morenoar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Coin Collection

Friend of mine asked me to take pictures of his coin collection. I am not good at this, and my attempts are not good in my view. I have tried with 580, direct or bounce. Today I tried with umbrella, bounce and straight thru. I am loosing detail. And when i don't loose detail, I see myself in the reflection of the coin. Appreciate all advise and ideas on what I need. Camera is hand held

580 Flash bounced

580 bounced, my reflection in the coin

580 flash on bounce umbrella

May 06, 2012 at 05:11 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Coin Collection

Have you tried a macro lens with just ambient light or dial back the flash... I have never tried this type of shooting but suspect a tripod, mirror lockup, & cable release would help... Sorry I can not be of more help...

May 06, 2012 at 07:12 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Coin Collection

Reflective objects are difficult to render and these look OK.

You need to start by indirectly lighting what is seen in the refelction from the POV of the camera, such as bouncing light off the ceiling and surrounding the coin with white foam core reflectors, then selectively insert black cards to "flag" the white reflection and create dark reflections which look like shadows.

To make the modeling seem natural you need to get the highlights on the upper half of the higher parts and the shadows (reflection of the black objects) winding up on the lower surfaces.

One way to get an ideal what modeling will look natural / normal would be to take a few coins (spare change not the valuable stuff and paint them matte white, then try to light them with direct light. Seeing the highlights shadow patterns that way will give you a better idea of how to place the reflections on the shiny coins.

See the thread about the DeSoto hubcap.

May 06, 2012 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password