Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    32mm    f/8.0    1/180s    400 ISO    +0.5 EV  

May 05, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

Two thoughts: The image itself is static, doubt there is much you could do about that given the surroundings.

Second, to my eye, the luminance is superb - one of your top processing efforts! Love the light-dark play with the sky.

Did I say I like it? BW HDR?

Bob

May 05, 2012 at 08:14 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

Thanks, Bob. I agree its a bit static.
LR, Color Efex Tonal Contrast, SEP with some control point work, some dodging, burning, vignetting, gradient tools

Scott

May 05, 2012 at 08:19 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

Appealing, but perhaps the background is a bit busy.

May 05, 2012 at 08:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

For me this shot look normal in the background but underexposed in the foreground, what happens outdoors when a scene exceeds the range of the sensor, which is nearly all the time outdoors.

Checking it with Levels I found the brightest highlights in the background 1/3 stop below clipping, which is perceptually correct when there aren't any specular reflections with no detail seen. But I had to push the highlight slider more than a stop before any foreground highlights clipped. That's understandable because the foreground is shaded, but in person seeing it my eye would adapt differently to foreground and background as I shifted between them and the impression my brain would give me would be something closer to this where foreground and background exposure are equal..

I did the edit by creating a dupe layer, then pushing the highlights to just below clipping in the foreground using Levels, then I moved the midt-one slider from 1.0 to 1.2 to lighten the midtones. Then using a mask applied the edit to the foreground leaving the background unchanged.

May 05, 2012 at 10:38 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

Interesting, Chuck.
The rework had some of the effect of reversing the vignetting on the bottom. I didnt want attention there both to keep the eye in the center and down the path, and because the area is already relatively softly focused.
Scott

May 05, 2012 at 11:13 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

sbeme wrote:
Interesting, Chuck.
The rework had some of the effect of reversing the vignetting on the bottom. I didnt want attention there both to keep the eye in the center and down the path, and because the area is already relatively softly focused.
Scott

I just opened the entire foreground with the mask in my edit using Levels and didn't make any attempt to nuance it. My initial reaction that the foreground was underexposed was mainly the appearance of the globe.

If if were my shot starting with a SOOC RAW file...

I'd use adjustment layers and wind up with something like this nuanced to create a similar eye path and focal point making the areas in the scene where I would have focused attention brighter in the same way my pupils would adapt and dilate when I was focused there...

I didn't see the WWII memorial when I was here in 2006. Is it more recent or just further down?

May 06, 2012 at 12:08 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WWII Memorial, Savannah

Neat to see this.
Straight ahead, maybe 300-400 feet, kinda behind the Hyatt.
Scott

May 06, 2012 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password