Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A Wise Old Bear!

Andrwe Bazeley
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A Wise Old Bear!

In previous posts, I have mentioned the book that I am working on with my polar bear guide, Dennis Comparyre, titled "One Man's Polar Bear". He is doing the writing -- lots of very touching and poignant stuff from his days as the very first tundra buggy driver -- and I am doing all the shooting. One of the highlights of his days actually living on the tundra in an old buggy was meeting and befriending a bear that Dennis named Dancer -- again, I think I have mentioned Dancer before. Dancer would actually stand up on his hind legs and stick his head through the open window of Dennis's buggy and share his sandwich at lunch time. The following paragraph is an excerpt from one chapter of the book that is about Dancer and it mentions the scars on his face from many battles out on the ice.

"As far as polar bears go Dancer was a near perfect specimen in a physical sense. He was a lump of a bear with muscle well defined even below a thick layer of fat. His ponderous behind, the true measure of a polar bears health and stature, I'm sure was eyed with envy and caution by other males. No doubt it convinced more than a few ladies, come courting time out on the ice with the promise of spring in the air, that he was the one. If the polar bearís hunting prowess is directly related to the size of his rear end then Dancer took a back seat to no others. Although I could only offer an educated guess I would say he was around eight years old when he made the trek from the Cape to visit for the first time. The scars on his broad face from battling over the ladies or protecting a kill told me he was a warrior approaching his prime, already the respect shown by other bears was evident and the few challenges to his authority were quickly dealt with."

Check out the website on the book here: www.onemanspolarbear.com and if you like it give me a like on Facebook at www.facebook.com/tecshots.

Cheers, Andrew

PS -- this shot of Dancer was taken last November and Dennis estimates that he is now about 18 years old.

NIKON D3X    600mm    f/8.0    1/800s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

May 05, 2012 at 03:29 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · A Wise Old Bear!

Andrew, lots of commercials for you book lately - but I take it from you. Very cool stuff.
Nice portrait of Dancer btw. You seem to catch him in great light very often.
Chris

May 05, 2012 at 04:53 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · A Wise Old Bear!

Great looking portrait Andrew. Lovely light.

May 05, 2012 at 05:09 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · A Wise Old Bear!

Super shot and enjoyable text Andrew. I enjoyed both very much
David

May 05, 2012 at 06:45 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · A Wise Old Bear!

Sweet image Andrew. Do you take most of your images from inside the tundra buggy or have you found a way to survive on the ice with your subjects?

Morris

May 05, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · A Wise Old Bear!

Beauty

Howard

May 05, 2012 at 09:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andrwe Bazeley
• • •
p.1 #7 · A Wise Old Bear!

Hey guys -- thanks for the comments.
Morris -- good to hear from you. Regarding the tundra buggies -- I went out on one once about 6 years ago and not since. They are really great in that you generally get to see lots of bears -- but for me they are not so great in that they are too high up and I have a penchant about getting low for my shots. In fact, I am planning to post on my blog about getting low for wildlife and some of the tricks that I use -- should get it on there tomorrow, so check then (www.tecshots.com/blog). Getting back to the bears -- I generally rent a Suburban and go out on my own or with my guide, Dennis -- don't get to go into the area that is reserved for the buggies -- but still find bears OK. And I would much rather find one or two or three bears in a day and get absolutely killer stuff than see 30 or 40 bears and get a lot of ho-hum, me-too shots. If you, or anyone else on the forum, has an interest in going out in the rent-a-wreck Suburban with me, just let me know. Cheers, Andrew

May 05, 2012 at 09:45 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · A Wise Old Bear!

great shot Andrew

May 05, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Andrwe Bazeley
• • •
p.1 #9 · A Wise Old Bear!

Hey Kenny -- great to hear from you and thanks for the comments. Cheers, Andrew

May 05, 2012 at 11:37 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · A Wise Old Bear!

Lovely shot Andrew ~ Ron

May 05, 2012 at 11:46 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · A Wise Old Bear!

Wonderful shot Andrew.

Birdie

May 06, 2012 at 02:51 PM
jcw1982
• • •
p.1 #12 · A Wise Old Bear!

Very nice image, I really like the perspective.

May 06, 2012 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password