Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Pleas...

kendalltristan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Just because I haven't seen it touched on in this thread as of yet, I did think that it was worth mentioning that Canon's mount does have some technical advantages over Nikon's, notably that wider lenses can be designed and implemented (think 50mm f/1.0 and 85mm f/1.2) and that the flange distance allows for Nikon lenses to be used with an adapter that doesn't introduce any new optical elements whereas doing the reverse is simply not possible. It just seems silly to me to go over every other tiny little difference and leave this one out.

That said, I'm a Nikon user and have no plans of moving to a different DSLR system in the foreseeable future.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:37 PM
fishfilm
• • •
p.4 #2 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Jeez, no one said it yet? Because they are taken by Nikon photographers!

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:32 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.4 #3 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

kendalltristan wrote:
Just because I haven't seen it touched on in this thread as of yet, I did think that it was worth mentioning that Canon's mount does have some technical advantages over Nikon's, notably that wider lenses can be designed and implemented (think 50mm f/1.0 and 85mm f/1.2) and that the flange distance allows for Nikon lenses to be used with an adapter that doesn't introduce any new optical elements whereas doing the reverse is simply not possible. It just seems silly to me to go over every other tiny little difference and leave this one out.

That said, I'm a Nikon
...Show more

Since you touched on it, I might as well add on to it that Canon's wider lens mount and shorter flange distance is also it Achilles' heel that cause a number of its own lenses having its inner elements hitting the reflex mirror.
To use those lenses one will have to shaved off the mirror to void its warranty and at the same time sacrifice part of its view in the viewfinder.
If Nikon have all the lenses that the users need why need to mount a Canon lens on it and sacrifice all the automation?
Canon users mount a Nikon lens on it is because they don't have as good a wide angle lens as the 14-24mm f/2.8G... And even using it they will not look as good as on the Nikon body because of the auto lens correction for aberration, distortion, and vignetting.
For lenses wider than f/1.8 with its shallow DOF we don't need AF to slow us down, MF like the 50mm f/1.2 AI-S will get the job done or user will compliant about slow AF or OOF.
And I am a Canon user who enjoy my pictures coming out of any camera I own, or I wouldn't be buying them.

Geeze...this thread is funny! Canon vs. Nikon...Nikon vs. Canon...

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:35 PM
geniousc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

What's more is which F1.2 Canon lens is really useful at F1.2. I've had both 1.2 lenses and always had to use them stopped down to get decent results, and then focus shift gets you. So, what's the big deal, the big opening only comes into play for 2 lenses.

gene

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.4 #5 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Once upon a time, there was a survey among Canon and Nikon shooters as to what their primary reason for buying their brand. The #1 answer for the Canon shooters was price. The #1 reason the Nikon shooters chose Nikon was quality.

Aside from that, I agree with bipock. "but there is something different between the two and the Nikon is more pleasing."

Apr 11, 2013 at 02:23 AM
tuantran
• •
p.4 #6 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

I think the people who switched to Nikon really knows what they are doing. They really know the shortcomings of Canon and found the holy Grail in Nikon. The rest of the Canon users are either ignorant , doesn't know what quality is or is being paid to use the equipment. There are a lot more Canon users but that's just shows there are a lot more ignorant people.

Apr 11, 2013 at 05:30 PM
vivisha
• •
p.4 #7 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

cputeq wrote:
No no and no. As soon as you said you cant afford full frame, the sub-FF photos look worse at POTN, then I know the reason. Nothing to do with the cameras and nearly EVERYTHING to do with the photographers.

More advanced hobbyists or pros are going to use the highest IQ combination they can get. Typically lots of them move up to FF eventually (or start with FF).

Either way, as a GENERAL statement, your FF-based photo threads are going to show more talent than your typical crop-based threads because those FF threads GENERALLY have the better photogs posting there, though
...Show more

I think this post sums up the answer to the OP question.

It's been funny for me to read some posts that clearly are questionable at best, I wonder if those persons actually believe what they write to be true. As for me l own both systems and have tried, used and owned at one point a 1DX, 5Dlll, D3s, D800E and high end glass that includes a canon 400 2.8 lS and Nikon 500 f4 VR. Now those are not in the OP budget, so I would say he is better off getting a newer Nikon crop body and lenses he can afford, as I do believe Nikon gives you more for your money on those entry level bodies.

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • •
p.4 #8 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

tuantran wrote:
I think the people who switched to Nikon really knows what they are doing. They really know the shortcomings of Canon and found the holy Grail in Nikon. The rest of the Canon users are either ignorant , doesn't know what quality is or is being paid to use the equipment. There are a lot more Canon users but that's just shows there are a lot more ignorant people.

That's got to be one of the most ludicrous statements I have ever heard...... seriously?

Apr 11, 2013 at 09:05 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.4 #9 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

tuantran wrote:

Someone in your close immediate family should stage an intervention, and take away your access to public self-embarrassment.

Apr 11, 2013 at 09:25 PM
tuantran
• •
p.4 #10 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

MDoc9523 wrote:
That's got to be one of the most ludicrous statements I have ever heard...... seriously?

I find this thread humorous. I used to work for several e-commerce photo solutions and have seen millions of photos from amateurs to real pros. There are nice looking photos from amateurs and really crappy photos from some pros and even pros who you would recognize by name. So if you think I'm serious, I apologize. I was just poking fun of some ridiculous statements in this thread but I guess my statement was ridiculous too.

Apr 11, 2013 at 09:33 PM
tuantran
• •
p.4 #11 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

galenapass wrote:
Someone in your close immediate family should stage an intervention, and take away your access to public self-embarrassment.

That's because I'm a Canon user

Apr 11, 2013 at 09:35 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.4 #12 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

OK now I get it. Where is the emoticon for sarcasm when you need it.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM
WayneTk

p.4 #13 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

I use both systems professionally. Most people I show the photos to cannot tell the difference between either system. In fact when I printed some 12x18's of the same scene taken with a D800E, 5D3, and a Pansonic LX3 P&S a lot of them thought the LX3 was the best because it came from an over-sharpened and over-saturated jpg.

I use the Nikon because the D800E's sensor is the best 35mm for landscapes and high DR portraits (like dark skinned brides in bright white dresses) and because NIkon has a 200-400 that is on the market now (not promised two years ago like the Canon.) I use the Canon because the AF and shooting rate are the fastest on the market. As someone who has no brand loyalty here I can't believe anyone who says the new Canon AF is worse than Nikon's.

Basically it 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Apr 12, 2013 at 05:04 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password