Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Pleas...

cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

No no and no. As soon as you said you cant afford full frame, the sub-FF photos look worse at POTN, then I know the reason. Nothing to do with the cameras and nearly EVERYTHING to do with the photographers.

More advanced hobbyists or pros are going to use the highest IQ combination they can get. Typically lots of them move up to FF eventually (or start with FF).

Either way, as a GENERAL statement, your FF-based photo threads are going to show more talent than your typical crop-based threads because those FF threads GENERALLY have the better photogs posting there, though there are pelnty of good photogs shooting great crop shots if you know where to look.

it is pretty rare that a camera body make any tangible difference in sharpness of a photo, discounting user or camera errors. The glass, setqup and photographer are much larger contributers.

Now I will not argue with "better" because people do respond to camera color profiles and responses. For instance, I tend to really dislike nikon skins and to a lesser degree greens, whereas I love Sony's skin tones.

May 06, 2012 at 05:11 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

It's really tempting to chime in here. My wife and I are wedding photographers. When we started our business we read reviews and everything at the time suggested the 5D was the greatest camera in the industry. So we jumped on the Canon ship. Four years later the D800 was announced and I asked my wife if we should rent one, just to see if it the D800 was the worth the hype. We were so amazed with Nikon's entire system, from the speedlights to the lenses. I could go on an on. And I could expose so many flaws in a Canon shooter's thinking. I could talk endlessly about Canon's marketing machine with CPS and L (luxury) glass. But I'll just say this, if we had started our business on the Nikon ship "focus" "soft focus" "out of focus" would never have concerned us. Furthermore, we would have more money in our pockets instead of overpaying for unnecessary L lenses. I'm going to leave it there, haha. I get yelled at a lot on this forum, more than any other, but I couldn't resist sharing some thoughts here.

The OP mentioned he can't afford a full frame, except maybe a 5D classic, please for the loved of God don't imprison yourself to that nasty antiquated focus system. My advice, rent a D7000, perhaps try a friend's D700. I have a D700 on the desk in front of me with a MBD10. It's a beautiful camera. The D700 is the most underrated camera in the history of the DSLR.

May 06, 2012 at 05:19 AM
nikt
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

There's very little difference in terms of the cameras so I would have to question what the photographers are doing to their photos on those other forums to make the Canon photos look bad.

If the Canons feel better, I would be seriously starting there. If you feel the lenses can be improved, have a look at that.

Quite honestly, sounds psychological to me... you know, the grass is always greener thing.

May 06, 2012 at 12:31 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

When you shoot with Canon, you are rolling the dice with the autofocus.

When you roll the dice with autofocus, your keeper ratio goes down.

When your keeper ratio goes down, you end up deleting a lot of photos that would have been the 'best shots' in a series.

When you delete your best photos, they don't get posted to forums.

When you don't post your best shots to online forums you end up a frustrated and broke nobody stuck in an endless cycle of Canon gear upgrades trying to achieve what you could with a basic Nikon consumer kit

Don't be a frustrated and broke nobody...start with Nikon

(you'll still be broke but at least you'll be broke with keepers)

May 06, 2012 at 12:35 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

tobicus wrote:
I think it's really down to the photographer, subject, and post processing. For the record, I've seen more stunning photography work by Canon wedding shooters than Nikon users, but I'm pretty sure that's just because most wedding photographers use Canon.

This is such an ignorant statement!

So not true!

For the record, I was a Canon shooter and like so many others switched to Nikon with the D3 / D700 after the 1D Mk3 focusing fiasco and have not looked back!

ps: I am also a wedding shooter.

May 06, 2012 at 03:55 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Because professionals use Nikon, while amateurs jump on the Canon bandwagon because their aunt's uncle's cousin's dog's brother uses a rebel XT and gets such cute pictures of the family.

May 06, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

workerdrone wrote:

When your keeper ratio goes down, you end up deleting a lot of photos that would have been the 'best shots' in a series.

When you don't post your best shots to online forums you end up a frustrated and broke nobody stuck in an endless cycle of Canon gear upgrades trying to achieve what you could with a basic Nikon consumer kit

Don't be a frustrated and
...Show more

+1

May 08, 2012 at 02:58 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

It is well known that Canon has had focus problems in the past, but from what I have read and seen, I think the new focus system on the 5D3 is excellent. But since that is not in the OP's range, it doesn't really count in this situation. Do Nikon cameras produce better looking photos than Canon? I might be prejudiced, but I am one of those who just prefers the looks of Nikon images SOOC. I know you can do just about anything in PP but I would prefer not to have to spend additional time (money) to edit my photos to get the look I like.

May 08, 2012 at 05:18 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

I think it depends more so on the photographer. I cannot say much about the crop cameras because the only 1.6 crop I've ever used was the 40D, and 1.3 with the 1DII and 1DIII. I was able to nail good focus on basically almost all of the cameras. I shoot both systems, and I like both, and find both to be able to nail focus.

Ron

May 08, 2012 at 05:28 AM
Baywing
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

workerdrone wrote:

Don't be a frustrated and
...Show more

Someone's been watching too many Comcast commercials!

May 08, 2012 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

luketrot
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Own both Systems and shoot both systems. If I posted a processed 800x600 image nobody here could say for certain if it was Canon or Nikon.

May 08, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Jon_Doh
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Leica images look sharper to me than either Nikon or Canon

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:13 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

I presently shoot Canon, but usually tell people on a budget to go Nikon. I think the less expensive Nikon lenses are (mostly) better than or (sometimes) equal to the less expensive Canon lenses. Your criticism of Canon's 50mm f/1.4 is well founded. Also, I think the new 7100 is probably a terrific budget body, but I have never used one.

Problem is, if you plan to step up to better performing gear, the best argument Nikon has is the D800, some price advantages on good lenses like the 24-70 zoom, and a few bright spots like the 14-24 zoom. And also probably a better flash systemóno small thing for event and wedding shooters.

The D800 is going to be a great, great camera in its next, sorted out implementation. For now, for every application but extremely large prints, the 5D III beats the D800. The commenters who are trying to suggest autofocus deficiencies in Canon's present lineup don't know what they are talking about. The 5D III or 1 Dx will deliver more keepers (judged on focus sharpness) than any Nikon body.

Canon's mid-to-high-end lenses offer more choices andówith notable exceptions such as Nikon's 14-24 zoomóbetter image quality (but often small by small-to-negligible margins) than the equivalent Nikons. Both makers offer some great lenses that the other doesn't, but Canon has many more of those. Almost anyone who had a choice of either system and wanted high-end telephotos or telephoto zooms would choose Canon, except possibly on price. Same with tilt and shift lenses. Same with image stabilized wide angles.

None of this is meant to suggest you can't assemble a great pro-quality system on the Nikon side. But the choices are easier and more plentiful if you do it with Canon. Unless you need to print larger than 30 inches wide. In that case the D800 decides the argument.

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

splathrop wrote:
The D800 is going to be a great, great camera in its next, sorted out implementation. For now, for every application but extremely large prints, the 5D III beats the D800.

As a nikon user I agree with most of your post apart from this. Nikon's files are more flexible without falling apart in the shadows and the D800 has significantly more dynamic range - right now at least nikon have the leg up on canon in he sensor department.

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

splathrop wrote:
The D800 is going to be a great, great camera in its next, sorted out implementation. For now, for every application but extremely large prints, the 5D III beats the D800.

As a nikon user I agree with most of your post apart from this. Nikon's files are more flexible without falling apart in the shadows and the D800 has significantly more dynamic range - right now at least nikon have the leg up on canon in he sensor department.

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:43 AM
colincarter46
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

splathrop wrote:
I presently shoot Canon, but usually tell people on a budget to go Nikon. I think the less expensive Nikon lenses are (mostly) better than or (sometimes) equal to the less expensive Canon lenses. Your criticism of Canon's 50mm f/1.4 is well founded. Also, I think the new 7100 is probably a terrific budget body, but I have never used one.

Problem is, if you plan to step up to better performing gear, the best argument Nikon has is the D800, some price advantages on good lenses like the 24-70 zoom, and a few bright spots like the 14-24 zoom. And
...Show more

I can't agree with you there regarding the 5d and 1dx being superior to any Nikon body.

I had my Nikon d800 and a 500f4 at a motor racing event along with my friend who had his new Canon 1dx and 300 f2.8 and I got more keepers than him, in fact I'm usually in the 90% success range at 1/125 rising to pretty much 100% when the shutter speed goes to 1/200 or 1/250 for super bikes and motorGP.

I tried his combo and I wasn't impressed especially given all the hype about the 1dx. The d800 focuses as fast and tracks as well or better than the 1dx does. Yes I have a lot more experience shooting motorsports than he does but handholding my 500 lens while tracking bikes at 1/125 second is a lot more difficult than the 300 f2.8 is for obvious reasons.

This is just my opinion of course but it is based at least on real world shooting of very fast moving super bikes which is usually the domain of the big pro cameras.

And let's go further down the range, which low range canon model has a pro af? Well non actually, now lets look at Nikon with the new D7100. A $1200 camera with a pro af system.

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Also, OP are comparing RAW files in the same RAW converter or 800px web jpgs posted on forums?

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:54 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

DavidM5 wrote:
This is such an ignorant statement!

So not true!

For the record, I was a Canon shooter and like so many others switched to Nikon with the D3 / D700 after the 1D Mk3 focusing fiasco and have not looked back!

ps: I am also a wedding shooter.

Not really ignorant if it's true....i shoot nikon, but canon has a larger market share, so it stands to reason there are more wedding shooters out there using Canon....just like there are more sports shooters using Canon....just like there are less of both using Sony....Canon is just a "more popular" brand....honestly, i'm not sure WHY...there are a number of reasons....maybe price...maybe a larger used market....maybe the pretty white lenses lol...who knows..

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:23 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Both systems are capable of delivering stellar photos.

Comparing forum-posted images and coming to a conclusion about Canon vs. Nikon is like buying a stove because you ate a good dinner cooked with it. You're seeing the output, the end result of a combination of camera, glass, circumstances, light, and (most importantly) photographer. It might be the best stove in the world but a good output is a mixture of a lot of things.

Also, you have no idea about the distribution of talent/gear. It may be a quick of nature that a lot of crappy Canon photographers also love forums. It might be that the Nikon brand has some attraction to talented enthusiasts. It might just be that you're seeing more Canon photos and your average photo is not, by the definition of the word "average," an exceptional shot.

There are plenty of reasons to choose a brand over another... but very few of them are to be found in the web-sized output discovered during the casual browsing of forum threads. Or in this thread, for that matter.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:32 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Don't judge by what you see online. JPG compresion differs from site to site. Also, you can't really judge the skill set of the photographer that is shooting, or their postprocessing preferences that can really affect how the final picture looks.

Just get what feels right in your hand; as long as there are not any compelling features (or very specific lenses) that is not unique to one system you should be fine with either choice.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:35 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password