Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Pleas...

johnnyPicture

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

I figure it's okay to ask this because this is a Nikon forum. It might be a trouble starter in the Canon. I don't want that.

I'm just trying to figure out why I like the Nikon images better. Are the optics really just that much better?

I wonder if it's because I've only been looking at primes like the 35 1.8g and 50mm, which are only $200, and Canon doesn't really have good equivalents at that price.

I ask because I'm yet another person deciding. I like the ergonomics of the Canon, but the actual pictures look better to me on the Nikon. In other words, I really want to like the Canon better because of the feel. But I want the images of the Nikon, which are most important.

I've seen many pictures on something like potn canon forums. Their 50 1.4 just isn't that sharp in what I've seen. Am I fooling myself? Almost none of the pictures look good on there unless it's by at least a 5d.

help me. i'm going crazy over this.

edit: I do kind of like that new 3200. feels like a little chunk, stocky camera.

May 05, 2012 at 02:03 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

It's all about the images and what pleases you. I have Canon equipment but if the Nikon images look better and sharper to you I would go that way. It isn't about the equipment you shoot it about the images your produce and what makes you happy. I'm sure I would be just as happy with Nikon as I am with Canon.

Rod

May 05, 2012 at 02:08 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Would that be JPEG or RAW? On camera VF or in PP. Viewing what with what?

May 05, 2012 at 02:08 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

The cameras' color palettes are different, so you might be drawn by that. Canon has a history of focus issues, so that may be an influencer.

Also, it can take a trained eye to note certain things like focus, focus point, as well as color. This can be something one is born with and / or developed over a period of years. Often those with more expensive gear have more years and / or natural ability to note in-focus shots and that's what you see posted.

Also, the type of noise that Nikon cameras produce has been called more film-like, which can also be pleasing. I believe that this type of controlled digital noise is also capable of being sharpened more and better in PP.

A personal observation and generalization: There are certain groups of individuals who like to show off their f1.4 lenses with razor thin focal planes, shooting them hand held. The focal planes are so thin, that one's bodily sway (photographer or subject) can affect whether the end result is in focus or not.

Edited on May 05, 2012 at 03:15 PM · View previous versions

May 05, 2012 at 03:11 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

I think it's really down to the photographer, subject, and post processing. For the record, I've seen more stunning photography work by Canon wedding shooters than Nikon users, but I'm pretty sure that's just because most wedding photographers use Canon.

May 05, 2012 at 03:15 PM
johnnyPicture

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

SoundHound wrote:
Would that be JPEG or RAW? On camera VF or in PP. Viewing what with what?

jpg, online lens sample forums, potn canon forums to be exact. Lots of people on there, and I wonder also if it's more because they are not "pro" and can't take a good picture with it.

May 05, 2012 at 05:19 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

johnnyPicture wrote:
I wonder if it's because I've only been looking at primes like the 35 1.8g and 50mm, which are only $200, and Canon doesn't really have good equivalents at that price.

The Canon 35mm f/2 is a very sharp lens and can be had for about $260 on B+S.

johnnyPicture wrote:
Their 50 1.4 just isn't that sharp in what I've seen.

On my tests of the D800 w/50G f/1.4 and 5DM2 w/50 f/1.4 the lenses are very close in sharpness. The Canon 50 f/1.4 focus can be finicky but if you nail the focus the lens is very usable at f/1.4. Here are some 5DM2+50:

Image #1 @f/1.4
Image #2 @f/1.4
Image #3 @f/1.4
Image #4 @f/1.4
Image #5 @f/8

May 05, 2012 at 05:58 PM
johnnyPicture

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

tobicus wrote:
I think it's really down to the photographer, subject, and post processing. For the record, I've seen more stunning photography work by Canon wedding shooters than Nikon users, but I'm pretty sure that's just because most wedding photographers use Canon.

Do you think that's because of price? Availability?

May 05, 2012 at 06:18 PM
johnnyPicture

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

snapsy wrote:
The Canon 35mm f/2 is a very sharp lens and can be had for about $260 on B+S.

On my tests of the D800 w/50G f/1.4 and 5DM2 w/50 f/1.4 the lenses are very close in sharpness. The Canon 50 f/1.4 focus can be finicky but if you nail the focus the lens is very usable at f/1.4. Here are some 5DM2+50:

Image #1 @f/1.4
Image #2 @f/1.4
Image #3 @f/1.4
Image #4 @f/1.4
Image #5 @f/8

I can't afford full frame! That's what I was saying. Unless it is at least a 5d classic, I can't see the "goodness" I like to see. When I look at the 35 1.8g or 50 1.8g, I see razor sharp on the crop cameras. Whether that sharpness is the end all beat all, I don't know. I just want a good portrait lens, so maybe sharpness isn't what I need. I just can't stand the slightest bit oof or soft (again, i have no idea if that is good or bad.)

And honestly, like many people that have no idea what they're talking about, I'd be interested in selling my skills as a photographer with nice primes. (family photos, outdoor, no studio.)

edit: and no offense intended, but those don't look super sharp to me, whether they were canon or nikon, though I truly appreciate you posting them. Maybe it was the subject matter?

May 05, 2012 at 06:21 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

johnnyPicture wrote:
I can't afford full frame! That's what I was saying. Unless it is at least a 5d classic, I can't see the "goodness" I like to see. When I look at the 35 1.8g or 50 1.8g, I see razor sharp on the crop cameras. Whether that sharpness is the end all beat all, I don't know. I just want a good portrait lens, so maybe sharpness isn't what I need. I just can't stand the slightest bit oof or soft (again, i have no idea if that is good or bad.)

And honestly, like many people that have no idea
...Show more

If you're convinced that a Nikon body and lenses will produce "sharper" results for you then you should just go ahead with that route to prevent any future cognitive dissonance. But as a dual-system user myself the reality is that either system can produce equally sharp photos in the right hands and with the right PP.

May 05, 2012 at 06:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnnyPicture

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

I did see that in more specific sub forums on potn that pictures are sharper. They seem to be images made by hands more capable than the generic lens archive photos. I have more to think about. Thanks.

What i don't like is the having to buy "L" lenses. Makes me think I'm getting something sub standard otherwise. I don't know what the "L" is for Nikon, though.

May 05, 2012 at 06:37 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

johnnyPicture wrote:
I did see that in more specific sub forums on potn that pictures are sharper. They seem to be images made by hands more capable than the generic lens archive photos. I have more to think about. Thanks.

What i don't like is the having to buy "L" lenses. Makes me think I'm getting something sub standard otherwise. I don't know what the "L" is for Nikon, though.

I wouldn't get hung up on lens designations. Most of the premium for L lenses is either due to wider apertures or more modern coatings. But there are plenty of very good non-L lenses, such as the 35mm f/2, 85mm f/1.8, and the 70-200mm f/4 non-IS. Here are a few 5D + 70-200mm photos; I bought the 70-200mm this past year on B+S for $475 in like-new condition.

Image #1
Image #2

May 05, 2012 at 06:58 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Image sharpness is a visual illusion that can be created/recreated by applying some math algorithms in post. For example, you can use GIMP ( http://refocus-it.sourceforge.net/ ) to go from this before image:

to this after image:

alternatively, you can use Focus Magic ( http://www.focusmagic.com/tutorials/eye.htm ) to go from this before:

to this after:

and one more with GIMP,

http://www.instructables.com/id/Reduce-motion-blur-in-The-GIMP/

May 05, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Those examples show that while you may be able to rescue some useful information from what at first seems like a throwaway shot, there is no substitute for a sharp and well focused capture that was taken correctly to begin with.

Re: Canon vs Nikon- it was actually my experience that Canon shots always looked a little crisper/more detailed than Nikon. It was down to that Nikon used less aggressive sharpening settings by default in the camera. You can see this mentioned in reviews of Nikon vs. Canon DSLRs, for example at DPReview. At least this was the case back when my camera was current (D80). I don't know if things have changed.

Now that I shoot RAW and sharpen myself, I do not find my shots lacking in this area.

Norman

May 05, 2012 at 10:13 PM
crewshin
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

johnnyPicture wrote:

The whole L thing is pure marketing. And good marketing at that.

But to answer your question... any lens with nano-coating is basically an L equivalent lens. Check for the gold ring and "N" on the side of the lenses.

eg.

Hope that helps a little.

May 05, 2012 at 10:52 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

...because they're in focus most of the time

May 06, 2012 at 12:31 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

Very simple answer to your question. Rent a camera body and lens from each manufacturer from lensrentals.com. Take the weekend and shoot to your hearts content. Compare shots etc...then make your decision. Stop looking at online photos which could be affected by a thousand variables which may or many not have anything to do with the images that either system is capable of producing.

PS - I shoot with both N and C and don't find that either one is really that much better than the other.

May 06, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

It's because Nikon shooters are stronger, smarter, and all their children are above average.

May 06, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

crewshin wrote:
The whole L thing is pure marketing. And good marketing at that.

But to answer your question... any lens with nano-coating is basically an L equivalent lens. Check for the gold ring and "N" on the side of the lenses.

eg.
http://www.lensrentals.com/img/26/390598178878.jpg

Hope that helps a little.

Gosh. I didnt realise. My 17-55 Doesnt have Nano. what to do??

Seriously though, IMO, generally, Nikon consumer glass (esp amongst the kit lenses) is better than Canon consumer glass

Tim

May 06, 2012 at 01:06 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why do Nikon images look sharper and better to me? Please help another undecided.

trenchmonkey wrote:
...because they're in focus most of the time

Hi Will, I was waiting for you to chime in

May 06, 2012 at 04:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password