Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

lankyelectric
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

I'm looking for a kayak to use for ponds and marshes. Do any of you have any suggestions? Could you please post what you have alone with the pros and cons. Pics would also be good. I shoot with a D4, D800, D700, 24-70, 70-200, 600vr.

Thanks Chad

May 05, 2012 at 02:18 AM
nadroj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

As a guy who is very comfortable in my kayak, I'd still be pretty scared shooting a 600 VR from the it

That being said, I've had a few kayaks and I kayak quite often so I think I can help. I just went Wednesday and took my 4-year old daughter out for the first time on her own kayak ... they are a blast! What you'll want is a recreational model with good secondary stability. Primary stability is how stable the kayak "feels", but secondary stability is basically how far it can ACTUALLY go before it tips over, dumping you and all of your gear in the water. Recreational kayaks are typically really good at secondary stability at the cost of speed. But in this case it should be the best kayak for you, and as a bonus they are the cheapest and most readily available models too. I just have a classic Perception Prodigy 10 and it's been fantastic for my needs (flat lakes and slow rivers in Michigan), and I think it would work great for you.

Good luck!

May 05, 2012 at 02:31 AM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

I should also mention that I take my kayak through marshes and weeds and all sorts of stuff and I feel very comfortable with it there, and that's one of the reasons I think it would be great for you.

I looked around and I don't think I have a picture of my kayak, but there are plenty available on-line. I did snap a picture of my daughter Wednesday though It was with my phone, but the light was pretty great. She just has a cheapo kayak from Sam's Club ($99 with a paddle) because it's extremely stable and she will outgrow it in a few years. Incidentally they also have adult models with paddles and sails for $199 which is incredibly cheap. They are sit-on-top models like this one, so no real room for gear, but they are VERY stable and the price is unbeatable. I'd still probably recommend something a little nicer with storage for the gear. Also dry bags are a must!

Hope this info helped!

Edited on May 05, 2012 at 02:47 AM · View previous versions

May 05, 2012 at 02:45 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

You need one with an open cockpit so that you can easily grab your camera with the long lens attached without having to struggle to get in shooting position.
I always suggest borrowing or renting one first just to see if you feel comfortable in a yak., much less taking your gear along. I'd also suggest looking on craigs list for a used yak. If you shoot from a yak for several years, your idea of the perfect yak will probably change.
I paddled an old Pungo Classic, (now the Pungo 120), for many years, but upgraded to a Hurricane Expedition 140 Sport this year - a great ride.
My last post is here, and it shows my new ride. It also has shots from the yak hand held with a 7D and a 500mm ~ Ron

May 05, 2012 at 02:46 AM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

Full disclosure: surfnron's boat is a lot nicer than mine and I'm a little jealous

Now you see both ends of the spectrum!

May 05, 2012 at 02:51 AM
CashewNut

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

I shoot regularly from a Pungo 120. Giant open cockpit, great stability.

May 05, 2012 at 03:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Light is Good
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

nadroj wrote:
I should also mention that I take my kayak through marshes and weeds and all sorts of stuff and I feel very comfortable with it there, and that's one of the reasons I think it would be great for you.

I looked around and I don't think I have a picture of my kayak, but there are plenty available on-line. I did snap a picture of my daughter Wednesday though It was with my phone, but the light was pretty great. She just has a cheapo kayak from Sam's Club ($99 with a paddle) because it's extremely stable and she
...Show more

Nice pic of your daughter. I almost bought my daughter the same kayak last week. She is five but I was unsure if it would be too big for her. May have to go back and get it.

Back to the OP's question... Check out Old Town's Vapor series in the 10 or 12 foot models. Very large and open cockit. I have the 10 foot model that I bought at Dick's for 379.00. 12 foot was about 100.00 more. I do not have large glass but I feel comfortable with a 300 f4 and 1.4x converter.

Ansley

May 05, 2012 at 03:07 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

Lakyelectric

I have and recommend the Hobie Outback kayak. It's expensive though (around $1800-1900).
It's very stable (I have never felt like it might roll) and has the foot driven Mirage drive and a rudder, so you keep your hand free for your camera. At 12' long it fits nicely in my 8' truck bed, just sticking out past the tailgate a foot or so and is managable for 1 person tno load and unload. I usually go out with my 7D and EF-70-200 2.8 (over my 400 5.6), since you can often get pretty close to birds, gators, and other critters. I usually have an extender if I want more range, but seldom use it. A 600mm lens might be tough to handle though.

I used a fishfinder mount to install a water resistant box to place the camera and lens in when launching, landing, performing maneuvers, or just to rest my arms. If interested, I can send photos of this setup.

May 05, 2012 at 03:07 AM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

Light is Good wrote:
Nice pic of your daughter. I almost bought my daughter the same kayak last week. She is five but I was unsure if it would be too big for her. May have to go back and get it.

Thanks! I'd definitely recommend it for the money. The boat fits her surprisingly well (with plenty of room to grow), though the paddle is too long and she doesn't quite reach the foot rests. I am considering getting a better fitting paddle and saving this one for when she gets a little taller. Judging by the size of my other two daughters, I'm thinking she will be able to use this until she is 10-12, so for $99 it's an amazing value.

(sorry for going off-topic there)

Light is Good wrote:
Back to the OP's question... Check out Old Town's Vapor series in the 10 or 12 foot models. Very large and open cockit. I have the 10 foot model that I bought at Dick's for 379.00. 12 foot was about 100.00 more. I do not have large glass but I feel comfortable with a 300 f4 and 1.4x converter.

Good suggestion, my friend's parents have two Vapors and love them as well. He has borrowed them a couple of times and found them to be very stable.

May 05, 2012 at 03:52 AM
lankyelectric
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

nadroj wrote:
Thanks! I'd definitely recommend it for the money. The boat fits her surprisingly well (with plenty of room to grow), though the paddle is too long and she doesn't quite reach the foot rests. I am considering getting a better fitting paddle and saving this one for when she gets a little taller. Judging by the size of my other two daughters, I'm thinking she will be able to use this until she is 10-12, so for $99 it's an amazing value.

(sorry for going off-topic there)

Good suggestion, my friend's parents have two Vapors and love them as well. He has
...Show more

May 05, 2012 at 01:21 PM
nadroj
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What kayak for wildlife photography?

lankyelectric wrote:
No worries. Were here to help each other.

May 05, 2012 at 02:06 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password