Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

hauxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

Tanks for all the replies. Now I need to do some thinking.

Carsten: If I import a lens I need to add 25.5% VAT to the price so I'll probably be better off buying a used one here in Iceland. ..and I'm glad you're enjoying the 28/2, it's a lovely lens.

Samuli: Do you really find the CY 25/2.8 much worse at f/11? I had imagined myself using it mostly at f/11 to have foreground in focus, and even an occasional f/16 image.

Hrannar

May 05, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

hauxon wrote:
Samuli: Do you really find the CY 25/2.8 much worse at f/11? I had imagined myself using it mostly at f/11 to have foreground in focus, and even an occasional f/16 image.

Hrannar

It has nothing to do with CY 25/2.8, it's same for all quality lenses. CY 2.8/25 is quite good resisting diffraction like Makro-Planar 2/100 ZE/ZF - for example Planars tend to suffer more from diffraction (my own finding based on shooting tens of thousands images, I have not done any scientific study about it), but at the sensor size 36mm*24mm the f/11 just doesn't work for me. It's all about the quality requirements you have. I find some person rather funny, first they pixel peep and talk about 100% resolution, sharpness and other attributes and then they shoot with subpar shooting technique and f/11 (maybe even with some crop/small sensor camera)...

So if you are happy to your other lenses @ f/11 then also this one is OK. However be prepared for post processing if you intend to use small apertures; when I shoot with f/4-5.6 I can most of the time leave black levels to default (in Apple Aperture 3.0), with f/8 (and f/2.8) I need to compensate by raising black levels to ~5.0. At f/11 I can't get the contrast anymore back by black levels - you may get it working by using lower black level (e.g. 2.0) and then using contrast slider and trying to fix in PhotoShop with USM; low % (e.g. 15) and high pixel size (e.g. 25px) to get contrast back. Naturally most of the cases at f/11 you just run out of these tricks and no matter what you do, you will not get the same clarity and brilliance you would have got by shooting f/5.6.

Only lens I have found looking better @ f/11 than f/8 was Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8. All other lenses, even very poor quality M42 lenses, have been better at f/8. Almost all lenses are best at f/5.6 in 5DmkII, however I don't have slow primes and no slow zoom except Sigma 150-500, which is best at f/8. Additionally one more thing to consider is that from diffraction point of view lenses which focus extending lens system your aperture from diffraction point of view is effectively smaller (due to enlarging by extending the lens), so shooting at f/11 at minimum distance puts the effective aperture (from diffraction point of view) somewhere between f/11 and f/13.

Samuli

May 05, 2012 at 11:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

Okay Hrannar, but if you decide for the 21 and can't find one locally, let me know; I am sure we can find some way to get it to Iceland without too much of a premium. For example, you could pay in two separate transactions, one of which is small and will be declared

May 05, 2012 at 11:35 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.2 #4 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

Well, I found a 25/2.8 ZS mount in good as new condition with a focus confirm adapter here in Iceland for a little less than $600. :-D

Fired a few a shots on the way home after getting it and initial impression is very good. Seems somehow a misunderstood lens. The photozone does reveal some weaknesses at shorter distances but the lens is stellar closer to infinity, at least according to Lloyd Chambers (and my live-view). This probably helped me getting the lens for such a low price.

Anyways, I'm happy and can't wait getting out with it. ...now I just need a 58->72mm ring for my Lee adapter ring.

Hrannar

May 07, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

Hrannar -- I'm glad you've got a lens that you are happy with.

Bottom line: if it's a Zeiss or Leica lens, it's pretty hard to find a dog.

May 08, 2012 at 12:58 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.2 #6 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

The ZF 28 is quite a special lens, I've seen people say that it is less contrasty or less punchy than the 35 f/2 but it is certainly quite special in its own right..

I usually carry a 28 and a 50 combo or the 21,35 and 100 combo. The former are for times I want a lighter setup. Anyways, here's a few shots with the 28 at f/2-2.8. I never really shot it past f/4..

May 08, 2012 at 01:48 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Need opinions on Contax Zeiss 25/2.8 and 28/2

Looks like the OP found something that will work, but I would just like to throw in my opinion of the Contax 25/2.8 for prosperity. My feeling pretty much echoes that of jotdeh, it is nice compact wide angle, not stunning wide open but stopped down to f/5.6-f/8 it is pretty amazing IMO.

5D2, @ f/8

Due to it's compact size compared to my other wides I use for landscape type stuff (21mm & 35mm ZE, Contax 35-70) it usually gets tucked in my bag for excursions, and provides a nice option between 21 and 35mm.

May 08, 2012 at 03:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password