Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii
  
 
swblackwood
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


Does anyone have any advice about how to photograph relatively large birds in flight? Gulls, Hawks, Eagles. What "Case" would be best and should the case be modified. Also, which AF mode should be used? Zone? 61 point Auto? I am using a 300mm f4 IS. I have gotten a fair # of sharp shots with Case 2 unmodified but would like to know if there is anything better.
Steve



May 03, 2012 at 02:35 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


I've been using Case 2 for swans and Case 5 for ducks and swallows. I use AF expansion usually with 4 expansion points and sometimes with 8 expansion points but don't really know which is better. I also use AI Servo, BackButton AF and full 6FPS (obviously).

I haven't tinkered with the sliders in the Cases yet. Also have it set to not focus hunt and for Focus priority versus Release priority.



May 03, 2012 at 02:48 PM
geniousc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


swblackwood wrote:
Does anyone have any advice about how to photograph relatively large birds in flight? Gulls, Hawks, Eagles. What "Case" would be best and should the case be modified. Also, which AF mode should be used? Zone? 61 point Auto? I am using a 300mm f4 IS. I have gotten a fair # of sharp shots with Case 2 unmodified but would like to know if there is anything better.
Steve



I found this yesterday. http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0512.html

gene




May 03, 2012 at 03:23 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


geniousc wrote:
I found this yesterday. http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0512.html

gene


Thanks, good read, don't agree with his no use of Case 5 but he could be right that 6 just makes more sense than 5 anyways.



May 03, 2012 at 04:00 PM
ruhikant
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


I have been shooting mainly with case 4 (center AF with 4 points expansion) and it worked fine.














May 03, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


I have not tried Case 4, but Case IV works quite well.

50% crop




  Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF400mm f/5.6L USM lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/2500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  




May 03, 2012 at 05:45 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



arbitrage
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


Awesome shots Tony and ruhikant. I may need to give option IV (4) a try.


May 03, 2012 at 06:58 PM
swblackwood
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


Thanks, everybody. Great examples and also thank for the link. A lot to learn here.


May 03, 2012 at 09:04 PM
teebat
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


Nice work guys, makes me want to buy a long lens.



May 04, 2012 at 03:34 AM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


Imagemaster wrote:
I have not tried Case 4, but Case IV works quite well.

50% crop


(1) MF on the birds sitting on a log
(2) Spook the birds to take off while firing 10 FPS.

That is hardly what I'd call BIF photography, besides it has nothing to do with the topic.



May 04, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Birds in Flight: 5d Mark iii


PetKal wrote:
(1) MF on the birds sitting on a log
(2) Spook the birds to take off while firing 10 FPS.

That is hardly what I'd call BIF photography, besides it has nothing to do with the topic.


(1) MF was not used, and the birds were not sitting on the log.
(2) The birds were already flitting about in a mating ritual, and what has 10 FPS got to do with anything?

Sorry, I forgot that you call shooting tame pigeons and ducks as the only type of BIF. And I guess you didn't get the Western humour.



May 04, 2012 at 05:11 AM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password