Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be ...

verbiage
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

Hello there,

I am a little stumped: I cannot figure out a way to transfer photos (hundreds of them) from an iPhone 4s to a "PC" computer for a friend who needs an easier way to sort and process/share her shots. "Standard" procedure of simply opening the iPhone as a storage drive and transferring the files doesn't work, as the DCIM folder appears empty. Do I need an app for this? Or is this Apple's "gentle" way of telling me there's a Mac in my/her future?

Rather frustrating after a few months of easy file transfers from a Samsung smartphone, which gives me no grief whatsoever.

Any solutions, links to past discussions of solutions or any ideas on how to tackle this welcome.

T.I.A.
S.K.

May 03, 2012 at 04:38 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

In "My Computer" I think there are settings available for what the computer does when the device is plugged in, when you right click on the device icon.

May 03, 2012 at 07:11 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

Maybe this works:

http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-get-photos-off-of-your-iphone-ipod-touch/#

May 03, 2012 at 07:27 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

no joke, just did this last night without even trying. I had never imported pics from my phone before, didn't know where to start and didn't really care to be honest. Simply plug in the iphone to the computer, open up LR4 and import....that easy.

May 03, 2012 at 07:52 AM
kururu
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

another solution :
I'm using phototransferapp.com $2.99, I can download and upload to iphone via browser (PC/Mac) through wifi.

May 03, 2012 at 02:08 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

Thank you very much for all the responses!

It looks like it'll have to be iTunes all the way, though - otherwise the images are not visible on any connected PC What a bummer!

I'm not sure if it's "new, improved functionality" of iPhone 4s (well, one could argue this improves security) or something with security settings in this particular phone that make the images invisible. Oh well.

May 07, 2012 at 01:51 AM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

Finally solved this problem - without jumping through any of the iTunes loops (which Apple store associates claimed was the only way).

The trick is to put the iPhone into film roll view and then connect it to a computer - a dialogue box pops up making it possible to view and transfer image and video files. This may take a few tries before it works. Changing the sequence (connecting the phone first, then going into film roll view) makes the image files and folders on the iPhone invisible. LR didn't help either (it saw the iPhone, but couldn't "see" any images on it).

Just thought I'd report on my experience. Not sure why LR didn't work in my case - maybe because it was LightRoom 3.4, not LR 4 which worked for rsolti.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

happy shooting,
S.K.

May 14, 2012 at 06:17 AM
londonhannah

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

You want to download your photos from iPhone to computer? I found it in the past and I used iTunes to transfer photos from iPhone to iTunes. Of course, iPhone Transfer is still an excellent way to finish this transferring.

Edited on Jun 10, 2015 at 08:15 PM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2015 at 10:05 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Downloading bulk photos form iPhone 4s to a non-Mac computer: can it be done?

Welcome to the site, and thanks for trying helping someone out....
It's just that I find it odd that someone would join a site to reply to a 3 year old post, oh well.
Enjoy your stay.

Jun 09, 2015 at 12:43 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.