Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · untitled

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · untitled

Yea or Nay?

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    40mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    800 ISO    -1.0 EV  

May 02, 2012 at 11:49 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · untitled

If it was mine, it would be in the nicely executed but ho-hum pile.

May 03, 2012 at 09:23 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · untitled

'fraid I'll have to say "nay" to this one - Savannah?

Bob

May 03, 2012 at 01:05 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · untitled

Savannah.
Struggling to find something in the archives. Guess it shows.

Scott

May 03, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · untitled

You are not the Lone Ranger

May 03, 2012 at 01:57 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · untitled

sbeme wrote:
Struggling to find something in the archives.

Scott

Why not go out this weekend and shoot some new photos?

May 03, 2012 at 02:06 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · untitled

dmacmillan wrote:
Why not go out this weekend and shoot some new photos?

And repeat the same mistakes? I've taken about a dozen photos in my entire life where I wouldn't have done something different to improve it after seeing the results and reflecting upon them.

The learning curve has several tracks. One is the technical stuff like understanding the limits of the camera DR and working around that limitation to record seen-by-eye detail (when desired). Another is learning to "see the light" which really means understanding how it creates the illusion of 3D modeling in a photo and what makes it look natural and normal, or not. A third and more difficult skill to master for most is learning how to tell a story in a photo that a stranger will find interesting and will trigger an emotional reaction. Because notwithstanding all the other things if the photo doesn't trigger some reaction what's the point of taking it and sharing it.

How photograhers travel up those parallel tracks of the learning curve varies depending on their temperament and training they are exposed to. Somewhere along the way one or more of them may become ruts they get stuck in and need to get out of to sense progess. Posting photos and asking for C&C is a way to get out of those ruts. For that matter so is providing C&C because more often than not it's a photo I wouldn't think to take and it forces me to stop and consider that and opportunities I tend to miss when shooting.

The only problem with this shot is that it's an out of context chapter in a more interesting story that leaves the viewer disappointed. It's like giving a kid candy with a clear wrapper they can't get off. So in terms of the three tracks mentioned (there are of course many others) its a win-win-fail. Technically it's competent, the lighting reveals it's shape realistically, but there's no compelling story.

How to improve it? Difficult to offer advice without knowing the context. You've seen me mention the "cinematic" approach in C&C many times here. The reason I find it helpful in the photos I take is because it programs my brain to always thing in terms of, "What's the story here and why would anyone find it interesting?"

The problem with still photography vs. movies is that it is very difficult to tell a complex, complete stiory in a single frame. Still photos lend themself better to scenic wide shots or close-ups of single focal points. The wide shots provide context, the close-ups create stonger emotional reactions. The middle ground where you fill the frame with 50% foreground and 50% background context which is equally compelling and interesting tend to become a ping-pong match for attention. That's not the case here, this is a close-up lacking a wide shot preceeding it to provide the needed context.

So my advice for this shot would be that next time you see a detail like this that catches your eye due to it's detail and lighting shoot it just as you have here, but then walk backwards and try to find a "medium" 50%/50% composition that shows how the close-up relates to the environment. Then back up even more and compose a scenic view where the focal point of the close-up is seen but the emphaisis is on the context. Together the three shots will tell as more complete story, none as well individually as together, but that's just the nature of still photography. Force to pick one of the three it will usually be the medium shot that works best, but only if composed in a way that contrasts the focal point from the context with tone, color, sharpness, etc.

May 03, 2012 at 03:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · untitled

Doug, Chuck
Good points.
I so appreciate getting feedback that I have been posting images that I know are not my top stuff. At the risk of my "reputation" but at the chance to learn more.

Currently getting out and shooting is a bit limited temporarily, since I had knee surgery last week. But it aint forever.

I've also taken to posting more satisfying images directly to other boards, without as frequent checking in here. For example, a recent series on the county jail in St Augustine here
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1097635/0#10480568
Chuck, you will like this as it is presented with a variety of perspectives, more of an implied storyline.

However, when I do so, confident that the work is good, I miss more detailed fine tuning suggestions I so often receive here.

Anyhow, I appreciate your ongoing feedback and patience, taking the good with the bad.

Scott

May 03, 2012 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · untitled

sbeme wrote:
Currently getting out and shooting is a bit limited temporarily, since I had knee surgery last week. But it aint forever.

Hope you're firing on all cylinders soon.

May 03, 2012 at 05:28 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · untitled

Scott; I like the BW but something about it is off... I am not good enough to make recommendations... Having had 3 knee surgeries be sure you are ready before venturing out... A Slip, fall, or twist can put you back in the hospital... Jim

May 03, 2012 at 06:46 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · untitled

I trust your knee will be better soon!

May 03, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · untitled

Rehab quickly!

Bob

May 03, 2012 at 11:30 PM
indiginess

p.1 #13 · untitled

its a nay for me. striking subject but as CGardner so eloquently addressed, I think your caught in-between.

The contrast with the background works against you at this angle... the bricks lead you away. I'd like to see the same photo head-on with the angled bricks or more bricks to let me see the background for what it is.

Another way...I want either more of the sculptures face or less to take me away from what i'm getting.

Edit: i think it depends... its a yea over the toilet (for males... not an insult!) but a nay next to other photos. it leads your eye away from it. in a collection of BW images, it might be great to accent Another photo, but its alone or nothing. I do like it.

May 04, 2012 at 06:52 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #14 · untitled

Get well soon, Scott.

If you wanted to play around a little more on this one, you might try taking it a little more abstract and try to bring out the "face" with some dodging and burning. Possibly in the silk purse/sow's ear category but here's my shot:

May 04, 2012 at 01:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · untitled

indiginess, Dennis,
Thanks for taking the time to comment and offer your input.
Dennis,
I think you have achieved a better result, making the face work better. And if the face doesnt work, there is far too little going for it as a single shot. Nicely done.
Scott

May 05, 2012 at 04:51 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password