Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My First Event, a charity 5k

bqq100

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My First Event, a charity 5k

Couple of weeks ago I volunteered to shoot a charity 5k run, and 1k kids run. There were a couple of other shooters, so there wasn't a whole lot of pressure if i royally screwed up! I've never done an event like this before, and it was quite the learning experience.

Some things I learned

1. Shooting into the low hanging morning sun sucks. Between my lens not being the greatest in backlit situation, overexposing by 2/3 or 1 stop to bring up the faces of the runners really killed the color/contrast. Really had to push the images hard in post to get not crappy results. Also, having their faces in the shadows and the background in the sun makes picking white balance a challenge.
  2. Shooting into the low hanging morning sun really really sucks [I think it deserves to get mentioned twice ]
  3. Pay more attention to my shutter speed! I was keeping an eye on it, and upping my ISO as I thought necessary. There were a few spots where it could of been higher, next time Auto-ISO.
  4. Kids make it easy to take good images!
  5. I need to shoot portrait more often!
  6. Shooting a runner cutoff at the shins or ankles can look a little odd

Any words of wisdom, comments, criticism etc would be appreciated!

All of these were shot with my Sigma 50-150 2.8 II on a D7000

May 02, 2012 at 04:12 AM
bqq100

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My First Event, a charity 5k

A few more

One of the ones I really had to work on due to shooting into the sun

May 02, 2012 at 04:14 AM
indiginess

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My First Event, a charity 5k

bqq100,

you want critique and feedback? sure.

learn to stick to shutter priority if you want to shoot moving people.

... not necessarily the setting, but the philosophy. get as close as you can as fast (shutter) as you can. cropping only goes so far in sports.

you're off to a good start. nice pics. Shooting into the sun always sux. Shooting into the sun always sux. don't do it unless you have to. its too much to overcome...

your pics are too long. i'm scrolling thought legs. 'remember you audience' a great teacher once told me. people want faces.

I really like the emotion you caught. the second post set of pics could all be cropped in half vertically and be stronger. (showing the top half, hehe)

May 02, 2012 at 04:32 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My First Event, a charity 5k

I would agree with shutter priority as being an option, but I disagree with the "stick to it" advice. I have shot over 1 million subjects, 99% of them moving kids in all sports and I have NEVER, repeat NEVER shot shutter priority. You have to know your camera and how it works. With that knowledge, shutter priority becomes and OPTION. But, so does Av, Manual, Auto ISO. There is no steadfast rule.

You did okay here. Yeah, the cut limb shots are scrapper for the most part, but I do like the winning line jube shot despite the cut legs, but it should have been shot vertically.

The others though fall short on emotion, interest, and intensity. You did fine technically, but work needs to be done in really capturing the "art" of the face.

May 02, 2012 at 04:16 PM
bqq100

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My First Event, a charity 5k

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was shooting in aperture priority to make sure I was getting enough DOF and squeeze as much sharpness as I could out of my lens, knowing it wasn't the sharpest lens. I was manually upping the ISO to keep the shutter speed up, which worked OK for the most part, but as I said, next time I think auto-ISO would do a better job.

If I shoot for peoples faces where is the best spot to cut them off? Also if you shoot tight in on the faces how would you help convey that they are runners and not just coming out of the gym or something along those lines?

Hopefully I'll have more opportunities to practice and improve my framing and capturing a lot of emotion.

May 02, 2012 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Geo31
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My First Event, a charity 5k

I used to shoot sports in shutter priority. Now I always shoot aperture priority. Why? Because it's easy to quickly get max shutter speed: go wide open. Or it gives me max shutter speed with whatever f-stop I choose.

A lot of this goes back to shooting with film camera where you actually set the aperture on the lens (what a dinosaur I am ). Back then you didn't have variable ISO or full info viewfinders, so I actually found it easier to keep track of shutter speed using aperture priority. That said, it certainly is different with DSLRs. I've used auto ISO but have had mixed results. Given the wide range of shutter speeds on the D2H some of the other limitations of the past no longer exist.

So what's my point?

A) There are always other/better/more creative ways to solve a problem

B) Perhaps I need to rethink my strategy given modern parameters (don't want to go extint, dinosaur that I am)

May 04, 2012 at 04:17 AM
Geo31
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My First Event, a charity 5k

Oh, and as for C&C....

I'm a runner myself and shoot 5Ks semi-regularly for kicks.

I find the first set of images you posted to be incorrectly exposed and a green or cyan color shift. Best to make your corrections before posting.

I don't have a problem with cutting off limbs. HOWEVER if you do, get close. Waist up, or at least well above the knee. I think the first two of your sent set posted are outstanding. Excellent color and exposure. Love the crops (whether in-camera or PP). When I shoot running, I'll shoot some full-length and then get really tight.

Watch your backgrounds and I actually would lower your aperture. Get the background out of focus as much as possible. Much less distracting.

Last thing... I usually HATE the locations the event photographers shoot from. I know you don't always get a lot of good choices, but if you really want to stand out, scout out your locations for backgrounds, lighting (direction and quality), and angles. It can make ALL the difference. I realize though that sometimes you don't have much choice.

I'm not only a photographer, I'm a runner as well and as such a consumer of event photos.

May 04, 2012 at 04:27 AM
indiginess

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My First Event, a charity 5k

P Alesse wrote:
I would agree with shutter priority as being an option, but I disagree with the "stick to it" advice. You did fine technically, but work needs to be done in really capturing the "art" of the face.

+1

i thought i was clear that i wasn't talking about settings, but maybe I wasn't. I was trying to suggest that when you are doing sports, shutter speed is the first consideration (except for maybe the EXCELLENT advice on background choice), then you go wide as possible for DOF (and sometimes the right backrground makes f/9 just as stunning)... just my philosophy.

For stylistic reference, I only shoot manual-mode with the occasional auto-mode if I don't want to reset for an impromptu fill-flash.

May 04, 2012 at 06:02 AM
bqq100

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My First Event, a charity 5k

Yes, I definitely could have done a better job scouting out locations. I didn't get the course layout until that morning, and was busy shooting pre-race activities once I did get it. Location selection was more based on where could take a shortcut and run to before they got there (and I'm really slow! ).

For the color cast, I did change the way I was PP part way through the set. I think for the first set I changed color calibration from Adobe Standard to Camera Standard (the first time I've used this). I'll have to play around with the colors a little more.

May 04, 2012 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password