Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

This topic isn't getting any love over on the General Gear Forum, hoping this is a better place for it........

Just picked up my first piece of BIG Glass, a Nikon 500mm AFS-I and I am now looking to acquire a really good Gimbal head to use with it
Kind of narrowed down to two very, very good Gimbals and both seem to reside at the high end of the price range
I would appreciate any information that will help me decide between the....

Wimberley WH-200 Version II
Jobu BWG-Pro 2

Thanks,
Bob

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

I use the Wimberley and have no issues, but I can't comment on the Jobu. I love my choice for what that is worth. Don

May 01, 2012 at 12:23 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

With both you and Jobu being from Canada, I'll take this as a pretty big for Wimberley
Thanks Don

May 01, 2012 at 12:45 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

I have the Wimberley Version II and love it when I use my tripod
Works excellent

-Tim

May 01, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

Over the years, I have used both the original Jobu BWG and the new version BWG (non pro). I have also used the original Wimberley Version 1. I would recommend the Wimberley over the Jobu. The locking on the Jobu will not completely tighten over time. Go with the Wimberley if money is not an issue.

May 01, 2012 at 12:57 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

Thanks for the responses guys.
So far no votes for the Jobu

Bob

May 01, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Larry Williams
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

I use a Wimberley Sidekick with a RRS Ball Head. IMHO, it's more versatile, less expensive, and functions very well. To use a gimbal system, just place the Side Kick into the Ball Head. To use the Ball Head, just remove the Side Kick. With a full Gimbal, one has to remove the whole thing and screw on the Ball Head for wide angle lenses.

Larry

May 01, 2012 at 01:08 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

Larry,
Is the Sidekick really secure enough with a lens as heavy as the 500mm F/4?
Thanks,
Bob

May 01, 2012 at 01:13 PM
Larry Williams
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

uintaangler wrote:
Larry,
Is the Sidekick really secure enough with a lens as heavy as the 500mm F/4?
Thanks,
Bob

Absolutely! I use it with my Canon 500m + Mark IV all of the time.

May 01, 2012 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mrpalaviccini
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

So, I went through the same thing about a month ago. It took me a full week to decide what I wanted. I ended up going with neither and instead bought the Benro GH2. It looks almost identical to the Wimberley and only costs $360 (includes a lens plate too - although it was a bit shorter than I wanted it at 5" so I bought a new lens plate). I've been using the Benro for over a month now (with 500 f/4 VR) and absolutely love it. I compared it side by side with the Wimberley (a friend of mine has it) and I was hard pressed to find any real differences. I mounted my lens on their Gimbal and vice-versa. I even closed my eyes and tried to guess which one was which by just moving the lens around. The Wimberley was just a tad smoother, but I could only realize it about 70% of the time.

The only downside is that I could only find it on eBay, but found a seller with great feedback that shipped it to me within 4 days (from China!). I ordered it on a Monday and I had it on Thursday (I guess the 12 hour time change helped a bit there).
Here is the link to the Benro GH2

Feel free to PM me or send me an email (mrpalaviccini@gmail.com) if you want to see any pictures, or even a video. I'm happy I went with this option and saved $240!

May 01, 2012 at 02:43 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

Wimberley II for me.

I have used the Sidekick and Wimberley I before "upgrading" to the II. I have a good professional relationship with Wimberley and had the opportunity to get on their "early release" program of the II. I have not encountered any problems on any of their products and can vouch for their excellent customer service.

I have seen and touched the Jobu, but have never mounted my lenses on it.

HTH

dan

May 01, 2012 at 02:59 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

Additional comments in response to your PMed question:

The convenience of the Sidekick ( and lower cost ) is appealing
*** Is the problem of switching between the ball head and gimbal head being overstated?
*** Is the Sidekick really stout enough for me to feel comfortable using a 500mm lens on a pro body?

By the time you add the cost of a good ballhead to the price of the Sidekick, you are quite close to the cost of a W-II or over the price of a W-II knockoff from China or Calumet.

Sidekick is a 3-step process: Mount the ballhead, mount the Sidekick, then mount the lens.

W-II is a 2-step process: Mount the W-II, then mount the lens.

As the name implies: Sidekick supports the lens on its side, while a full Wimberley (or clone) supports it from the buttom.

Once you fine tune the Full Wimberley balance, moving the lens is leterally a breeze.

You can not go wrong either way, the Sidekick is still an excellent product, but if you will be shooting a lot, the full Wimberley is the way to go.

Good luck on your choice

dan

May 01, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Mile High
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

I use a BWG-Pro and it does what it's supposed to. I like the lockout switch on it. I've never used a Wimberley, so I can't compare them.

May 01, 2012 at 03:53 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

No slam to the Jobu, but another vote for the Wimberely II. Excellent construction, smooth, and secure. It was a great help to my successful use of super tele lenses.

Basically, I bought my tripod without a centerpost, and mounted the Wimberely II. Bought a center post, and mounted my ballhead. Now I have the best of both worlds.

May 01, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

just tried my friend Wimberley head II. I am using the Jobu BW. There is no comparison! Go with Wimberley. Just placed an order for myself!

May 06, 2012 at 03:22 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

I think they are likely both excellent pieces.I have the Jobu..it's built like a tank. Very smooth bearing operation and the lock is a nice feature. I also bought the nylon case which is well made but fairly costly.
I'd say either would be a good choice.

May 06, 2012 at 03:29 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

i have a Jobu.. and i love it

May 06, 2012 at 10:19 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wimberley WH-200 II vs Jobu BWG-Pro2 for Nikon 500mm?

One more thought...Promedia Gear "Katana" head that I got about a year and a half ago...it is incredibly stable and smooth when I happen to be out with other photogs it catches a lot of attention (not sure if that's a good thing). It screws directly into a tripod so you don't need a ball head like the Wimberly Sidekick (my first Gimbel head).
Eric

May 06, 2012 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password