Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Grand Canyon - two panos for print, but only one wall

ccho
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Canyon - two panos for print, but only one wall

I visited the south rim of the Grand Canyon mid-March and was lucky to get some snow and clouds.I stayed out to the last shuttle on the Hermit Road loop and took a couple panorama shots. I just wanted to get some input on which image might be more interesting to look at on the wall as a large print (maybe ~4-5 feet wide) as well as any other input on making it more conversation-worthy before sending it off to the printing service. Any C&C would be appreciated!

Apr 30, 2012 at 02:50 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Canyon - two panos for print, but only one wall

I'd sugest that the islands of foreground snow covered shrubs detract more than add the images as composed. Also, consider rotating and distortion correction plus mining the shadow with the Shadows/Highlights sliders:

Apr 30, 2012 at 04:29 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Canyon - two panos for print, but only one wall

Incomplete and not quite the way I want it (green shadows), but offered for comparison @ mixed lighting ... i.e. blue snow in the original.

Scenes like this are tough because of the warm sidelighting and the cool overhead lighting ... and those areas where they are either dominated by warm, absent of warm or warm blended with cool.

As such, a global adjustment is not possible (effectively to all areas) and the different areas would need additional selective adjustment ... which requries a more diligent effort than here in PC, but hopefully this at least raises the issue for you, prior to going to print.

As always, S&P to taste.

Apr 30, 2012 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Canyon - two panos for print, but only one wall

I'm with Kent and Karen. Needs more opened up shadows. Not crazy about the pull of the eye to the foreground snow-covered shrubs, but I would think for you it anchors the scene the way you found it, the time of year and it doesnt make sense to crop or clone it out.

Scott

Apr 30, 2012 at 03:29 PM
ccho
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Canyon - two panos for print, but only one wall

Thanks for the responses, your points of view are really helpful in visualizing the scene in a different way. I've always debated whether I like the color of snow, whether in the shade or in direct sunlight, to be a warmer or cooler tone. Although I've seen some really visually impressive photos on FM with the former, I usually tend to the latter. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do about the small foreground ledge with the snow covered bushes as I couldn't get a higher vantage point, and including more of it felt a little intrusive to me.
I definitely need to run some distortion correction and check the shadow color.

Apr 30, 2012 at 03:40 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Canyon - two panos for print, but only one wall

To be honest, neither is a wall-hanger yet, although I like #1 and think it has a great potential.
I suggest to get rid of snow patch altogether, as it is too small to be a part of the image, and re-align the image by using warp tool. Next thing is to brighten the bottom and improve the contrast with curves - or you can use shadows and highlights in incremental steps. The dark clouds on the top also do not add much to the image, so may be clone them out. Improve brightness and saturation of the highlights and increase the contrast with a burn/dodge tool. Adding a layer with warming photo filter would benefit the image, too. That's what I got after quick editing:

Apr 30, 2012 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password