Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

Stu Scully

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

Hello folks! I've been browsing here for a little while and thought I would get some of your thoughts!

Looking for some input/thought/critiques of the skin processing I used in these two candids. I was trying to hit the fine line between "slightly modified" to be more than just a random candid shot and "magazine airbrushed".

BTW, in case you're wondering, the fine lady is Sasha Masakowski. She's a Jazz vocalist in the New Orleans area. Very beautiful voice and a very good jazz musician!

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

I am not qualified to comment on skin tones - but nicely processed captures IMO.

I prefer #1 although I think #2 is a better image of her; adding space at the left side and removing speaker (I presume) stand would help considerably, again IMO.

Regards,

Bob

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #3 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

You could smooth out the skin on the left side of her face using the inverted high pass method. I used a radius of 3px followed by a 1px gaussian blur and set the blend mode to linear light. Mask out the effect and then paint with white.

You could also add a black and white adjustment layer with the screen blend mode, use a black mask and add brightness to her skin.

Apr 29, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

<edit> Link broken - removed from post..

Regards,

Bob

Edited on May 01, 2012 at 12:04 AM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Stu Scully

p.1 #5 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

newhaven wrote:
You could smooth out the skin on the left side of her face using the inverted high pass method. I used a radius of 3px followed by a 1px gaussian blur and set the blend mode to linear light. Mask out the effect and then paint with white.

You could also add a black and white adjustment layer with the screen blend mode, use a black mask and add brightness to her skin.

Thanks for the tips. The B&W adjustment layer is something I'll have to play with in the future.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Stu Scully

p.1 #6 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

Bob Jarman wrote:
Pushing the envelop - if you object please let me know and I will pull the image.

It could be taken from here in many directions re selective sharpening, contrast etc.

Regards,

Bob

Did you add additional brightness? I'll have to go back when I get to my editing computer but the though of doing B&W didn't initially occur to me, but given the color palette of the original photo it might be a good candidate. Although I wouldn't think it would initially come out that bright!

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

Silver Efex Pro 2 - High Key 1 preset to start. Yes, you are correct in that a straight forward BW conversion is not nearly as bright.

I then tweaked the levels to brighten slightly. As is, to me her hair should be darkened as well as her dress, but now we're into judgmental areas or personal tastes.

I would try to emphasize the superb job you did in capturing those beautiful eyes.

Bob

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

I'd say her skin hue is a little magenta. Try bumping the hue about +5.

Apr 30, 2012 at 04:06 AM
Stu Scully

p.1 #9 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

AuntiPode wrote:
I'd say her skin hue is a little magenta. Try bumping the hue about +5.

Thanks for the tip! That gave a more warming, pleasant, tone to it!

May 01, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Stu Scully

p.1 #10 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

Bob Jarman wrote:
Silver Efex Pro 2 - High Key 1 preset to start. Yes, you are correct in that a straight forward BW conversion is not nearly as bright.

I then tweaked the levels to brighten slightly. As is, to me her hair should be darkened as well as her dress, but now we're into judgmental areas or personal tastes.

I would try to emphasize the superb job you did in capturing those beautiful eyes.

Bob

Thanks! Is Silver Efex Pro 2 a separate program?

May 01, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

Google Nik SOftware

May 01, 2012 at 12:56 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Thoughts on Skin Processing

Try a trick I often use with candid shots and studio shots of older folks with lots of "character" on their faces:

Do your glam edit on the skin as you have here, but keep an unaltered copy of the original above it on a layer that is turned off (assuming you can do layers). Then turn on the original layer and move the opacity slider from 0% to 100%. Somewhere in the middle by before (0%) after (100%) you'll find the ideal balance, which I find is difficult to do when editing, especially on less familiar faces. You can also use a mask on the original layer to selectively apply it.

May 01, 2012 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password