Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Misty day by the lake

ukkisavosta
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Misty day by the lake

Here are a couple of shots from about a week ago. It was a cool day, and mist was forming over the lake as the ice is slowly melting away. I was thinking about printing these two images as a set - either in color or B/W, as I ordered a printer last week (an Epson R3000), after deciding that printing is in fact a very important part of enjoying photography as an art/hobby.

I haven't shot these type of images all that much, but I really enjoy the tones of a grey day, when everything seems to be standing still in contemplation. I didn't do much to these images by way of PP. Just some black level adjustment, if I recall correctly.

Ring the bell by JaakkoHeikkila, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Jaakko

Apr 28, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Misty day by the lake

Jaako,

Like you, I enjoy the calm, contemplative atmosphere of the images. To me this is well communicated.

I am having difficulty with the 'tall-narrow' aspect, perhaps smaller versions might help there. For #1 more room to the left? Is a landscape orientation possible? I ask because the shape of the ice directs my eye to the gulls and then off the image, with the narrowing (arrow-head) accelerating that movement. This creates a tension with the long dimension.

#2 also gives me a sense of being 'cramped', wanting more room to the L&R.

My thoughts - regardless, they are both evoke a quiet, peaceful mood.

Bob

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Misty day by the lake

Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that the atmosphere is carried over in these images.

The framing of both shots was pretty much dictated by the surroundings and my lens (I only had my 35mm Samyang). On the left of the bell in image #2, there is a traffic light (indeed, a traffic light) for a walking bridge leading to the castle Olavinlinna. I believe this bell was originally used to call the rowman before a bridge was built. On the right, there is a path and some more trees, but I might have had some leeway there - although then the balance of the image would be off...

Here's one shot of the Olavinlinna castle. I still need to tackle it with my camera at some point.

The looming tower by JaakkoHeikkila, on Flickr

As for image #1, I would have preferred landscape orientation myself, but it didn't work, sadly. I needed to get quite close to the edge of the water to fit the tree and its reflection in the image, and this called for portrait orientation. Furthermore, there were quite a lot of distractions on the right.

Here's a landscape image to show the surroundings.

Nevertheless, those were good suggestions. Thanks for your insight!

Jaakko

Apr 29, 2012 at 07:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Misty day by the lake

Took the liberty to see what might be possible..if you object I will pull the image.

Using CS6 beta - context-aware scale on LHS; crop; ColorEfexPro2 filters: grad ND, tonal contrast, slight vignette; healing brush to clean up; levels layer to adjust brightness.

Hope you do not mind...

<edit> - ran through Dfine2.0 to celan up noise and banding in sky

regards,

Bob

Apr 29, 2012 at 09:16 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Misty day by the lake

I prefer the wider view of the first image. Feels more balanced. If you had a bit more on the right that created a hint of space to the right of the tree I would like it even more. Beautiful scene.
I also think the first would work as a simple, minimalist capture without the ice and birds, should you chose to reshoot.
Not sure what I think of the color in Bob's last rework, but I like the crop very much.
Looks like you have wonderful scenery to work with.
Got more?

Scott

Apr 30, 2012 at 03:32 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Misty day by the lake

Bob, thanks for taking the time to work on the image. That looks great. It also underlines the point that I really need to start working on my PS skills.

Scott, thanks for commenting. I agree with you and Bob regarding the wider view of image #1. I need to go back and do a reshoot with more time (and ideas - thanks for that) in my hands.

There are lots of great places and nice scenery to shoot in and around my hometown of Savonlinna, Finland. The Olavinlinna castle (pictured above) is naturally the most popular object of photography, and I plan on shooting it with more time and thought at some point.

I'll see if I can find something else worth posting. Thanks!

Jaakko

Apr 30, 2012 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password