Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Suggestions for CD printer?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Suggestions for CD printer?

I think that my Epson R280 is crapping out because in the past few months I seem to be getting faint lines in my CD prints no matter if I change ink cartridges, clean realign heads, or put all of my weight down on the printer so it doesn't "jar" at all as the print heads move back and forth.....so I'm looking for a new printer. Probably Epson, possibly on clearance from their store (like the R280 was a few years ago).

Anyone have any suggestions for a reliable, high-quality CD printer? I never print anything but CDs and b&w text documents.

**Update** Specifically...NO all-in-one printers! Inkjet only, not looking for any other features or functions that I absolutely don't need, want or have the space for.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Suggestions for CD printer?

You won't find a CD printer that isn't an All-In-One.

Epson has a choice of several in the Artisan line. I chose the Artisan 725 because it offered the best price/performance ratio for me. YMMV

<Chas>

Apr 28, 2012 at 02:36 AM
bkhorii
• •
p.1 #3 · Suggestions for CD printer?

I also went with the Artisan 725. I was using an Epson R200, and the Artisan's built-in CD tray is worlds better than the old manual feed system on the R200.

May 01, 2012 at 04:13 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Suggestions for CD printer?

The Epson Artisan 50 is a single-function printer that does discs, although it uses a separate print tray and different inking mechanism. It can also be hard to find.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CA45201

I've used a number of the older Epsons such as the R280 for disc printing and always found it a bittersweet experience. The 700 and 800 series Artisans seem to have solved pretty much all the problems--clogged inkheads, cranky disc feeding, everything. The Artisan 50 seems to be a throwback to the older models...I'm not sure I'd try it.

May 06, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Suggestions for CD printer?

What kind of volume are you looking at printing?

There are plenty of dedicated disk printers on the market. Nowhere near a cheap Epson, but better quality and more volume.

I've printed many thousands of discs on Primera printers (made be Lexmark), but now get pre printed disks from a local (national) company. The 5 color offset discs are twice as good as sikh screen and at least 5x better than an inkjet copy.

I just duplicated and delivered over 25,000 discs last weekend to customers in 50 different countries. As you can imagine, that kind of volume is tough to get done by inkjets, but the quality of the 5 color offset discs are so worth it!

May 06, 2012 at 06:16 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Suggestions for CD printer?

What kind of volume are you looking at printing?

I presumed the volume that had been supportable by an Epson R280, because the reason he's shopping now is that the R280 is failing.

May 06, 2012 at 04:22 PM
JohnPinette

p.1 #7 · Suggestions for CD printer?

I have used an R280 to print CDs for years and last year picked up a couple of Epson Artisan 50's. They are pretty much the same with similar quirks and quality. I forget where I picked up the 50's, but I had to shop around a bit to find them.

May 08, 2012 at 04:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #8 · Suggestions for CD printer?

Canon Pixma series are pretty cheap but offer a very good quality prints (including prints on CD/DVD.)

May 12, 2012 at 06:56 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #9 · Suggestions for CD printer?

Canon Pixma IP 4920 for example.

May 12, 2012 at 06:58 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Suggestions for CD printer?

gabi, how is the ink consumption on the canon printer? I am assuming you own one.

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:43 PM
AlexF
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Suggestions for CD printer?

I use canon 5430 and its been great for me...

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:48 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #12 · Suggestions for CD printer?

Anyone figure out how to print your own cd boxes, just curious. I have the artisan also, works fine for what it costs.

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:45 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #13 · Suggestions for CD printer?

If you are using the printer only for CD prints you will be an old man until the ink tanks will go empty !!!!

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:02 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #14 · Suggestions for CD printer?

I'm exagerating a little but it's pretty close !

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password