Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How About Some Night Photography?

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How About Some Night Photography?

Night photography is one of my passions. I've had the good fortune to be able to photograph extensively at the historic Mare Island Naval Ship Yard near Vallejo California (along San Francisco Bay) for the past few years. Here are a few photographs from this work.

Enjoy!

Dan

1. http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/5236-3/MINSYTwoYellowBuildingsShadowsClouds20110226.jpg

2. http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/5234-3/MINSYShackRedGreenLights20110226.jpg

3. http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/4064-2/MINSYMoonlitStairwayWall20100227.jpg

4. http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/1794-3/MINSYGreenWindows2007_03_03.jpg

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:32 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How About Some Night Photography?

Very nice!

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:45 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How About Some Night Photography?

Being a fellow night photographer enthusiast myself, I really like these images! I really like #'s 1 & 3. Speaking of #3 would look pretty nice with a black & white conversion. Thanks for sharing Dan!

-Nick

Apr 27, 2012 at 04:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How About Some Night Photography?

Hey Dan,

Really cool shots here. #1 is really awesome! Great lines, contrasting colors. Good job on this whole group.

Jim

Apr 27, 2012 at 06:52 PM
vilimo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How About Some Night Photography?

# 1 is great!!!

Apr 27, 2012 at 07:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Henga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How About Some Night Photography?

Great set. All are really nice with very different mood.

Arnaud

Apr 27, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How About Some Night Photography?

Good stuff, Dan.
I'm particularly intrigued by the second image. The somewhat garish colors inside the shack appeal to my imagination.
Charlie

Apr 28, 2012 at 04:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How About Some Night Photography?

Charlie, many of my photographs have stories, and this one is no exception.

The shot if from the historic Mare Island Naval Ship Yard, a place that was the first American west coast ship yard way back in the 1800s and which continued to be a vital place until it was decommissioned in the 1990s. The buildings and structures that remain from that history of more than a century are intriguing and provide tons of photographic opportunities. A group of people began photographing there at night some years ago, and I've been able to shoot there at night many times during the past half dozen or so years.

On this night we were there with a group of night photographers including some beginners. After some initial instructions, advice, and technical pointers to the newbies we mostly fanned out among the buildings and so forth to get to work. I was working another photograph of some light poles in an old parking lot (a photo that didn't amount to much, by the way) near this little structure. I kept thinking that I saw a faint red light, but when I looked at the building, central vision being less capable in low light, I couldn't see it. But every time I looked away, I caught the bit of light out of the corner of my eye. I finally decided to investigate more closely.

When I got closer to what seemed to be a small guard shack, I saw that the inside was very faintly lit by the numbers on an old clock (green) and some kind of small security light (red). The effect was, as is often the case with night photography, very hard to see at all. But I figured that a long enough exposure - it ended up being longer than 10 minutes, I think - would gather enough light to make the interior glow. However, the outside of the building was what you might describe as pitch black. I set up very close to the building using a very wide angle lens. I remembered that I had a tiny LED key ring flashlight, so I opened the shutter and light painted the front of the building and the "curb" in the foreground, letting the ambient light take care of the sky and the more distant buildings.

This ended up being one of my more popular night photographs...

Dan

Apr 28, 2012 at 09:38 PM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How About Some Night Photography?

Dan, these are just great - every single one of them! The more I have looked at these, the third image became stronger and stronger to me (and I can not tell why). Great stuff. Thanks for sharing these.
Keith W.

Apr 28, 2012 at 09:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How About Some Night Photography?

Keith, a secret. In many ways the first is still my favorite, but in a number of ways I think that the third may be the better photograph, especially when viewed as a print. I'm glad you are able to "see" it!

Dan

Apr 29, 2012 at 02:55 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password