Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help..what is that?

Mitchell Derr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Help..what is that?

This is just a test shot with a 5D.... 17-40L I am borrowing for a trip down to Death Valley tomorrow and I have noticed some banding at the very top of the photo. This also happened on my Tamron 17-35. Does anyone know what this is? I imported into Lightroom, lens corrected it, and then brought it into CS6 and did a few levels masks and that is it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:34 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Help..what is that?

Banding. Here's some discussion you may find useful. Also try chasing the links for more reading:

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00a9Ee

BTW, on my monitor the banding is very slight. Some monitors make banding appear when a better monitor or a print won't show banding.

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:59 AM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #3 · Help..what is that?

Thanks AuntiPode. I think I was cranking my levels too far to create a darker sky and it created the banding. Thanks for the response; this link provides some really good information.

Apr 27, 2012 at 04:04 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Help..what is that?

Epiphini, I have a two-monitor setup, one is good and one is so-so. On a good one, banding is barely noticeable, on so-so it is quite bad. So it has nothing to do with your camera or lens, it's a digital compression thing.
Looking at histogram per channel, you will notice that the area with worst banding is the one where red is overblown. As you were trying to bring out red colors in sunset, you also over saturated red in blue areas of the sky, and low-resolution monitors are not able to correctly map the numbers. Try to process red areas locally in Raw processor with adjustment brush so it will not affect the rest of the image.

Apr 27, 2012 at 05:34 PM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #5 · Help..what is that?

Thanks a lot for the tip Al. That makes total sense. I need to get in the habit of tweaking more locally. I will remember this next time. Thanks again.

May 03, 2012 at 04:36 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password