Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · San Francisco in Black and White

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Francisco in Black and White

Partly as a result of a interesting discussion in the landscape forum and partly because I do a lot of this sort of photography, I'm going to make a point of contributing more work here and of trying to participate in more of the dialog here.

Here are a few of my older San Francisco black and white photographs. (The first one is old enough that it uses the old black borders that I stopped using a few years back!)

I do most of this work handheld and while walking around the city, though a couple of the images in this set were shot "landscape style" from the tripod.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

1. This is, obviously, a night photograph. It was made from the near the north end of the Golden Gate bridge with a long lens. (And, yes, this version was toned a bit - probably need to update and re-think that choice. ;-)

2. This is an iconic view known to many photographers in the Bay Area, and there is a spot that is about 4 feet wide and perhaps 30 feet long from which you can see the Transamerica Pyramid juxtaposed inside the upper portion of the GG Bridge.

3. This is a scene that frequently photograph on early morning walks along the Embarcadero.

4. This is one of many spontaneous architectural shots I've made while walking through downtown SF.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Francisco in Black and White

Dan - Very nice. You images are classing up the joint.

Apr 27, 2012 at 02:42 AM
charlieboy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Francisco in Black and White

I really like the last one...Can I ask what lens body combo?

Apr 27, 2012 at 04:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SKumar25
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Francisco in Black and White

Wow, well done Dan!! Did you use super teles for numbers 1 AND 2?

Apr 27, 2012 at 04:47 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Francisco in Black and White

Thanks for your comments, folks. I would have to look up the EXIF or the original images to tell you for sure which lenses I used in a couple of cases. But here is what I remember.

1. I'm almost certain that I used the (Canon) 70-200mm f/4 non-IS for this one.

2. I'm positive that I shot this with the 100-400mm zoom.

3. I'm almost sure that the third was shot with the 70-200mm f/4 again.*

4. This was most likely shot with the 24-105mm f/4, but see the note below.*

* I vacillate between using a couple of zooms for my frequent on-foot San Francisco photography (which produced the last two examples) and using one or more primes. So there is a possibility that one of the last two was shot with a prime - possibly the 50mm f/1.4 in the let one.

Dan

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:26 PM
ldrussell
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Francisco in Black and White

I really appreciate your "eye" for compostion. The simplicity of the images are wonderful. All I can say is WOW!

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:50 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password