New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · San Francisco - Panoramas

waylee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Hi everyone,

I think I'm gonna start posting pictures here since there is all the argument about cityscapes and landscapes over in the Landscape Forum.

I hope everyone enjoys these panoramas as much as I like shooting them!

As always, I would really appreciate comments and tips for always improving!! So Keep them coming!

San Francisco - Pier 14

San Francisco - Pier 14 Pano by Waymond_Lee, on Flickr

San Francisco - Pier 14 Pano Black and White by Waymond_Lee, on Flickr

San Francisco - Palace of Fine Arts

San Francisco - Palace of Fine Arts Pano by Waymond_Lee, on Flickr

Enjoy!

Apr 24, 2012 at 07:59 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Last one smokes! Love your work.

Bill

Apr 24, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Francisco - Panoramas

I really love all three! Are these all exposure bracketed shots? How many stops difference between shots? I’d like to try a few cityscapes myself this week so any advice is appreciated.

I’m definitely no pro, but I'll try and give some constructive criticism and my thoughts to help you improve.

Shot #1 - The only thing I would like to see different is the walkway perfectly centered and proportional on each side of the frame. Everything else looks fantastic, especially the sky on the right. Maybe try this shot again at a slightly earlier time to get even more interest in the sky?

Shot #2 - I would like to see the horizon straightened, and the sky blended slightly better. At least on my monitor, I can see a few light blobs and some silhouetting from the separate shots in the sky (especially on the right half of the shot) I also see a vertical line on the left end of the sky.

Shot #3 - This one is great. I do think another composition close the water’s edge would really make the palace stand out though. It would be a "cleaner" composition and wouldn’t have anything to distract you from the palace.

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:20 PM
waylee

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Thanks for the feedback!

For shot 1 - I did not notice that I was directly in the middle of the walkway while shooting. I should have checked... As far as the sky, there really wasn't any action in the sky, so to speak.

For shot 2 - thank you for pointing out that there are some inconsistencies. I will most definitely have to correct that cause it will now bother the crap out of me

For shot 3 - I know the shot would be cleaner if the composition was closer to the water, but looking at other pictures of this place (try flickr.com), everyone (including myself) has shot close to the water's edge. I wanted something different...

As far as these shots go, they are not bracketed shots. All these are single shots using a .9 GND soft edge. The shots were all taken vertically. I feel that getting the perfect shot (composition and exposures) right on one frame in camera will produce the best outcome in post...and its also less work cause I'm lazy
For shot 1: 13 vertical shots
For shot 2: 11 vertical shots
For shot 3: 9 vertical shots

Apr 25, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Thanks for your reply aswell. I ended up using a couple bracketed shots this evening, 2 stops apart. I dont have any graduated filters yet, and my introductory dslr's light range is pretty weak. The cloudy sky was constantly blowing out when metering for the foreground

Anyways, keep posting nice panos like these, I'll check them out for sure.

Apr 25, 2012 at 09:17 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Francisco - Panoramas

wow 1 & 3 are absolutely stunning! terrific blue hour series!

Apr 25, 2012 at 09:20 PM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Francisco - Panoramas

I agree - 1 and 3 are superb. My 2c on number two is that the railing may be too central to the shot. I don't know but my eyes are immediately drawn to it rather than the impressive background of the bridge and cityscape. It's still a fantastic shot, but my attention is somewhat drawn to the railings first. Dunno if that was your intention - if so, bravo! Thanks for sharing (and I hope this transition to the new forum is working out!)

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM
charlieboy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Awesome!

Apr 26, 2012 at 02:22 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · San Francisco - Panoramas

It's great to see an influx of San Fran images in this forum! I really love #1! Not because it's the first image, but it immediately drew me into the image. I like #2 although it doesn't appeal to me as much as your first image does. Very good on the black & white conversation though. #3 I like as well.

Very nice work overall! Thanks for sharing.

-Nick

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Love these. No real crits to share because your comp decisions are your comp decisions and your choices won't always please everyone aesthetically, but technically speaking, the horizon appears to be off just a tad.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Striking work! Given the lighting conditions, have you had any contact with The Nocturnes, the SF Bay Area night photography group?

Dan

Apr 26, 2012 at 07:11 PM
AveryTingWong
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Loooove 1 and 3, I thought they were bracketed HDR shots as well. Impressive stuff. What kind of shutter speed did you use to make sure random people didn't get in your shots? Or were you just lucky enough to grab all the shots without people walking into them?

Apr 26, 2012 at 09:53 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Love em all, brings back fond memories of trips past. The #2 B&W is fantastic. Remember the old phrase that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Apr 27, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Henga
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Great series. You took those at the good hour. The light is really sweet in #1 and #3. My only suggestion would be to straighten the horizon in #2 because it's a bit distracting IMO.

Arnaud

Apr 27, 2012 at 03:37 PM
waylee

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback! Will definitely have to retouch photo #2...

These shots were all roughly 10second exposures, and luckily no one was around!

In reply to Dan: I did not see The Nocturnes. This is actually the first the hearing about them...will have to look them up!

Thanks again everyone for looking!

Apr 27, 2012 at 07:00 PM
jdrenda
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · San Francisco - Panoramas

very nice images and excellent work thanks for sharing, #3 is my favorite.
John

Apr 30, 2012 at 09:26 AM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · San Francisco - Panoramas

#1 is wow!

Apr 30, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · San Francisco - Panoramas

Waylee,

Fantastic fantastic, would love to see more of the bridge off to the left on the first one, maybe a combo or mufti shots of 1 and 2 together , all I have to say is WOW to number three that is my fav, I am a pano guy and man I like these panos.

Thanks for sharing

Shane

PS I disagree with mr Grimm, I would like to see the walkway off centered and place it in the rule of thirds and shift it to the right to include more of the bridge on the left.

Again fantastic

May 03, 2012 at 12:03 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · San Francisco - Panoramas

very beautiful ! good job.

Guy

May 03, 2012 at 04:03 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.