Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

I am a dedicated G10 fan but now the price of the G1X is sliding to a more reasonable level....I'm tempted to upgrade.

I am very happy with the G10 performance so basically I'm hoping to hear comments from anyone upgrading from a G10 / G11/G12......in particular, are there any aspects of the camera that are inferior to the earlier versions? For example, I particularly appreciate the G10 build quality and the fact it easily slips in most of my pockets....the G1X will not compete here from what I have read.

My main use would be street photography / city and seascape......and portability is important to me. I get excellent A3 prints from my G10......that would be my max size for the foreseeable future.

Apr 24, 2012 at 04:06 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #2 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

Still waiting for G1X prices to reduce a bit more but the slide has definitely started to pick up speed in the UK.

As I'm close to taking the plunge, I am wondering if anyone on here has been using this camera on a regular basis (now it has been out for some months ) and has any useful insights into the camera, its IQ and potential for quality print work.

I gave it and a Fuji 10X a brief test in a camera shop last week which was a bit inconclusive...i have viewed both sets of images on a 27 in screen and both are impressive but doing a few test shoots while struggling to take in the functions while being watched by a shop assistant who seemed to think I was going to do a runner with them is not the best way to evaluate a camera.

Both cameras were nice to handle although my preference is for the Canon despite the additional bulk.

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Snead
• •
p.1 #3 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

Iíve been using the G1X for some time and find the picture IQ surprisingly good. The new sensor and lens combination delivers high resolution, good contrast and color saturation. Focus is a little slow but very accurate and the IS very effective. Not good for Macro without a close up lens like the 250D or 500D. It will easily print 11x14 prints and probably even larger. I donít like the RAW 4:3 format and every image has to be cropped like the old 2 ľ sq negatives.

I donít consider it a pocket camera but I donít consider any of the G line good pocket cameras, too heavy. For a pocket camera I prefer the little LX-3.

I carry the G1X in a belt pouch and find that works for me. I picked up a lamb skin fully lined belt pouch for $9 including shipping on EBay and it enables me to carry the camera, two batteries, extra card, 500D and a polaroid filter with no fuss.

Build quality is good and Iíve read a couple of reports of the camera being dropped and still functioning normally.

I like the HD video with IS functioning. Video quality is very good and simple to operate. I find I use the G1X a lot for family photos and it replaces the heavy 5DII and lens bag.

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

I've been using the G1 X since it was released and I'm pleased with the operation and IQ in general. The camera is not particluarly comfortable to use for me as the control placement and operation is very different from my LX3 and my 1DS3. The IQ is the best part of it. The video looks decent although I don't care about video.
I will probably replace it with the LX7 when it is released which can go in a jacket pocket whereas the G! X is only a semi compact. If I did not own a DSLR I would very well consider it for my personal camera.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #5 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

Anthony, I upgraded my G10 to a G1X last April, soon after the G1X became available in preparation for a Greek vacation. Here is my post reviewing the trip and use of the G1X. As a G10 owner you will find the G1X handling to be very similar. After a few minutes of use I couldn't feel a size or weight difference. I always kept an adaptor and polarizer filter on my G10 which effectively kept the lens protrusion at maximum. In contrast the bayonet mount filter adaptor on the G1X retracts with the lens making camera a bit flatter when off. I miss the ISO dial but having the flash positively off unless the flash is raised is a nice trade-off. I'm happy the swivel LCD is back, missed that from my G6. The transition time from P mode to Av mode is slower for some reason, the LCD does some silly graphical transition but I can't imagine they slowed it down just to do that.

Because of the larger sensor size, the G1X has lost the close focus ability of the former Gs. Its more like the kit lenses on the DRebels. You will need a Canon 250D (4 diopter) close-up lens from eBay or the 3 diopter Hoya +3 lens. The Canon 500D is only 2 diopter so it isn't quite as useful. All these close-up filters are two element and do a really nice job. Stay away from the cheaper single element filters. With the 250D, the G1X is just as effective at macro as the G10.

The G1X lens is really good. DxO rates it equal to the EFs 15-85 and I agree. Its a tad bit sharper in the center than the G10 lens and noticeably sharper at the edges and has little to no CA. The big improvement with the G1X is the big sensor. Both noise and dynamic range are vast improvements. I always considered the G10 to have thin pixels, even at ISO 100, pulling up shadows quickly pulled up noise. Working the G1X files is identical to working with my 7D files but I think the G1X has a bit less low ISO noise. I'd never use my G10 over ISO 200 but ISO 800 or even 1600 is no problem with the G1X.

I liked my G10 for daylight landscape work, i.e. backpacking, travel, snorkeling. The G1X now adds street, night out and general tourist photography. Comparing it with the new M series camera the only downside I see (unless you want another camera to change lenses on) is the M has the full 3:2 APSC sensor while the G retains the 4:3 aspect of previous Gs. This assumes the kit lens is as good and it will have an underwater housing - doubtful.

When I first got my G1X I did some comparison shots with the G10 and 5Dc + 24-105. Note that the light was changing while I shot. Focus was on the lager tree in the center. These are 100% crops of each at about 35 mm equiv FOV. I used low ISO and a bit wider aperture on the G10 given its small sensor. These were all processed from RAW in Lightroom 4 with the same sharpening, no noise reduction, and slight lighting adjustment. Not rigorous, I was trying to look at lens performance. Look through my Greek post above for better sample images.

Canon PowerShot G10    6.1-30.5 mm lens    7mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    80 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon PowerShot G1 X    15.1-60.4 mm lens    19mm    f/8.0    1/800s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5D    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    32mm    f/8.0    1/800s    320 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Edited on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

I'm a G10 lover who moved to the G1X for my holiday.

The G10 had by far the best low ISO RAW performance I had ever seen on a compact but the G1X trounces it by a distance and is very usable up to 800 ISO, even higher with LR4

It's a very quirky beast, I have installed the auto lens cap and I carry it in a pouch rather than with a strap, you also have to switch to macro much more than seems logical,but the IQ really is terrific.

The viewfinder is useless though as you can't see what you've focused on.

I got mine on ebay as I wouldn't pay anything like UK retail, but the G1X is a very good camera and way way better than the G10 at anything over 100 ISO

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

Interesting info.....thanks everyone!

I don't expect to veer above ISO 200 on my photographic outings (in fact I normally take a RF with PanF (ISO50) loaded as well).....so I am not too bothered by high ISO performance....so this aspect of the G1X is not a selling point for me.

I am conscious of the fact that the X10 is available for a lot less than the G1X and that the Fuji might suit my needs for something with a better IQ so far as A3 prints are concerned.....but I am willing to pay a bit more for a camera that will be useful for longer (eg, I might go nearer to A2 prints).....and maybe something that will compliment my G10 rather than replace it. But still something that I can slip in a jacket pocket.

Having said all that...I did an A3 B+W print earlier today from a G10 file and every time I do one it reminds me why I like the thing....maybe I have an exceptional copy but talk about sharp!

I guess what is holding me back is I don't want to end up spending money on something that is only marginally better than what I have already...because if that is going to be the case, there are other things I would rather spend it on photographically...

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Petersen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

I've been playing with it on this trip out. I've decided it works just fine and does all I ask of it. My G11 was stolen and I replaced it with the G1X and it just does what I ask with no problems.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

$700 is still too high. $200 more needs to be shed from the price.

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:45 AM
voltaire
• • •
p.1 #10 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

Impressive shots, Gary.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #11 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

The 3 pics above have virtually convinced me!!

Great tonal values in the B+W images. Was this achieved straight from the camera or were filters used?

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:25 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

anthonygh wrote:
The 3 pics above have virtually convinced me!!

I did tell you.

The G1X IQ is distinctly superior to the G10, it is effectively the same as a good crop dslr

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:02 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

G1X is not a "Canon Mount DSLR" - sorry.

Dan

anthonygh wrote:
I am a dedicated G10 fan but now the price of the G1X is sliding to a more reasonable level....I'm tempted to upgrade.

I am very happy with the G10 performance so basically I'm hoping to hear comments from anyone upgrading from a G10 / G11/G12......in particular, are there any aspects of the camera that are inferior to the earlier versions? For example, I particularly appreciate the G10 build quality and the fact it easily slips in most of my pockets....the G1X will not compete here from what I have read.

My main use would be street photography / city and seascape......and
...Show more

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:07 PM
fotografur
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Powershot G1X......anyone getting familiar with it??

Gary Petersen wrote:
I've been playing with it on this trip out. I've decided it works just fine and does all I ask of it. My G11 was stolen and I replaced it with the G1X and it just does what I ask with no problems.

I haven't posted on the canon forum in awhile, Gary those first two B&W images are beautiful !

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password