Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Fallen GHO nestling

normsmith
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fallen GHO nestling

A Great horned owl nestling fell out of it's nest. The nest just appeared to have come a bit apart. There wasn't a very high wind involved. This is the same nest where ghowls killed the Cooper's hawks last summer and took over this year. Perhaps the nest is haunted by ghosts of cooper's past
In any event the owner of the residence found it on the ground one morning. One of the parent owls was in a tree watching it. The owner called me. When I got there we picked it up, rehydrated it and put in a tree where we hoped the parents would continue to feed it. The nestling was too young to be able to remain in this location so the owner lodged a wicker basket in a shaded location in the tree. I haven't heard if this was a success yet.

The wicker basket nest fell from the tree along with junior during the night. Next morning he was fiesty. She jammed the basket nest in another tree. When I came up around noon we relocated the basket nest and I secured it higher in a tree, gave the site a limb for the parent to land and also provided some shade. We will see if this suffices.

The first image is when we first started the rescue mission prior to putting it in a tree.
Second is the baby in the basket nest.
Third is the male supervising the renovation. He was there for about an hour while we screwed around finding a suitable spot and securing it. He was about 40 ft up in a nearby tree. He never said a word.

normsmith 2012

a dislodge great horned owl nestling

Canon PowerShot G12    6mm    f/4.0    1/500s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Renovated nest

Canon EOS 50D    EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens    70mm    f/14.0    1/200s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Papa owl supervising the renovation,

Edited on Apr 24, 2012 at 08:02 PM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:49 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fallen GHO nestling

Oh, Morris, wonderful shot. I hope he makes it. Trying to help one in distress can be a wonderful thing and very fulfilling. I do hope you hear what happens and let us know.

Birdie

Apr 24, 2012 at 03:47 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fallen GHO nestling

birdied wrote:
Oh, Morris, wonderful shot. I hope he makes it. Trying to help one in distress can be a wonderful thing and very fulfilling. I do hope you hear what happens and let us know.

Birdie

Well, I'm not Morris but thanks anyway. The latest is that the wicker basket and the owlet were on the ground this morning but the owlet was much more feisty and not dehydrated. Perhaps the male fed it last night and in landing or taking off from the "nest" it dislodged it.The male was still in a
his usual nearby day perch.
I'm going up there shortly with another basket and wire to see what we can do to secure or modify the basket
Norm

Apr 24, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Mark Cronin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fallen GHO nestling

Good job Norm,
I'll be looking for the update and more shots.
Mark

Apr 24, 2012 at 04:50 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fallen GHO nestling

Mark Cronin wrote:
Good job Norm,
I'll be looking for the update and more shots.
Mark

Thanks Mark, I added a couple of shots of the new nest location and of the old man. Just about high noon and light was not very good. Before we before we left I placed a motion-triggered video trail camera aimed the new nest and we may be able to document what happens both day and night.
Norm

Edited on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2012 at 08:04 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fallen GHO nestling

Nice shots and well done playing owl rescuer. I suspect ma and pa GHO don't see it that way so be careful! Hopefully it will make it and we can call it "Norm".
Take care of yourself!
Eric

Apr 24, 2012 at 08:53 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fallen GHO nestling

Hope it all plays out well Norm. I'll be looking in to see how it goes.

Mike

Apr 24, 2012 at 09:58 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fallen GHO nestling

eyelaser wrote:
Nice shots and well done playing owl rescuer. I suspect ma and pa GHO don't see it that way so be careful! Hopefully it will make it and we can call it "Norm".
Take care of yourself!
Eric

Thanks Eric, We went through about an hour of messing around erecting the new nest site and didn't even see Pa Owl until we were about to leave. It took much longer than it should have because of the restrictions put on me because of a recent surgery.
Norm

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fallen GHO nestling

mike717 wrote:
Hope it all plays out well Norm. I'll be looking in to see how it goes.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I tend to be realistic about things such as this and put the odds are against this working successfully.
Norm

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fallen GHO nestling

It is good of your to try Norm. If mom has not run off depressed there is a chance.

The first photo is cute!

Morris

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fallen GHO nestling

hope he makes it Norm

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fallen GHO nestling

Cool stuff Norm.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fallen GHO nestling

Very nice of you to help out Norm. I do hope you will keep us posted ~ Ron

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fallen GHO nestling

morris wrote:
It is good of your to try Norm. If mom has not run off depressed there is a chance.

The first photo is cute!

Morris

Thanks Morris, Actually, the male is a better provider since he contributes a lot of groceries for both the female and the offspring during the breeding season. He is the classic hen-pecked husband.
Norm

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:15 AM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fallen GHO nestling

thanks Kenny and Ken
Norm

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fallen GHO nestling

What a looker this youngster is Norm, that first shot is adorable I hope things go well for this youngster, your good deed should not go unrewarded!

Karl

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:19 AM
timgriffin
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fallen GHO nestling

Very cool story and good for you guys with the rescue attempt! I wish the youngster a long and healthful life ahead.
I followed a couple of baby GHO's this year and the last visit to the nest they were gone - and there were quite a few feathers around the nest area. I don't know what their fate was but hope that they fledged and left the nest as they were within a week or so of that. They're easy to get attached to and to root for

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:43 AM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fallen GHO nestling

Karl Witt wrote:
What a looker this youngster is Norm, that first shot is adorable I hope things go well for this youngster, your good deed should not go unrewarded!

Karl

Thanks Karl, I hope you are right, but as an old Eagle Scout I have had very many good deeds go unrewarded so it won't be a surprise.

Norm

Apr 25, 2012 at 04:21 AM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fallen GHO nestling

timgriffin wrote:
Very cool story and good for you guys with the rescue attempt! I wish the youngster a long and healthful life ahead.
I followed a couple of baby GHO's this year and the last visit to the nest they were gone - and there were quite a few feathers around the nest area. I don't know what their fate was but hope that they fledged and left the nest as they were within a week or so of that. They're easy to get attached to and to root for

Thanks Tim, It's easy to get a personal attachment to individual wild critters, even for a wildlife biologist like me. It will be much tougher on my 53 year old daughter and the property owned who I have been helping.
Norm

Apr 25, 2012 at 04:28 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fallen GHO nestling

Nice pics. Such instances of GH owlets falling from their nest or tree perch is not unusual. A GH owlet fell from its tree perch in our local park yesterday. It was taken to the local Bird Rescue Center and I am told by the park Ranger that it will be rehabilitated tomorrow night. I hope I can get some photos too.

The same pair of GHOs nested last year in another eucalyptus tree about a couple of hundred yards away, and . . . guess what . . . one owlet fell from the tree and was rehabilitated.

Apr 25, 2012 at 04:29 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password