Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #498 Predecessors

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · #498 Predecessors

I have been collecting "elder" camera bodies and lenses for a while now, this is the most use I have gotten out of them! I hope it fits the theme ok. This one was tough, and it made me think a little more. Good luck to everyone this week, this was a tough assignment. Thanks for looking.

Predecessors

Canon EOS 50D    50mm    f/8.0    1s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 23, 2012 at 09:42 PM
scraptag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · #498 Predecessors

Your daughter is very cute, but I really like the way you thought out of the box on this one.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #3 · #498 Predecessors

scraptag wrote:
Your daughter is very cute, but I really like the way you thought out of the box on this one.

Thanks, on two counts.

This week was tough for me...our family just laid the last "elder" to rest a couple weeks ago, had he still been alive, he would 100% been my subject for this week. That said, I have been trying to come up with something different...so these fit the bill...each one is elder to the next, and they are in chronological order front to back...and with the exception of the third one, they all have meaning to me...

...the front one, never worked, but my grandfather who just recently passed away, found it at a garage sale when I was a little kid and gave it to me...I ran around like I was working for the newspaper with that thing for years...I had no idea that my mother had it in the hoard that is her basement until a couple years ago...when she brought it over one day I was overjoyed to have it back.

...the second one belonged to my father in law, he had it when my wife was a little kid and took many pictures of her with it...so it has its own meaning...

...the last one, was the camera I had in college, that got me into taking pictures and learning the art of photography...

It would have been sweet to have my dads old Konica which he still has, but since I needed to get this submitted before the deadline, I did not have the luxury of time, or going to get it.

Sorry...I get long winded...

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · #498 Predecessors

Travis
I am very sorry for your loss and would liked to have seen his picture.

I really like your image here and it brings back some memories. I remember the Argus "brick" from back in high school. Oh those were the days.

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:53 AM
robert829
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · #498 Predecessors

Nice selection travis preety cool shots too

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #6 · #498 Predecessors

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Travis
I am very sorry for your loss and would liked to have seen his picture.

I really like your image here and it brings back some memories. I remember the Argus "brick" from back in high school. Oh those were the days.

Klaus, thanks for taking the time. He was certainly a huge part of my life, and will be missed. I would have liked to honor him in this assignment.

I don't remember exactly when he found that Argus for me, I think I was probably 5 or 6 years old. It sure does bring back memories seeing it.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #7 · #498 Predecessors

robert829 wrote:
Nice selection travis preety cool shots too

Thanks Robert. I wish that I had time to really set this one up, my dad's Konica would have been nice to have in there, and I could get my hands on my first digital, as a friend owns it now. But then I don't have a spread big enough to shoot the scene. A friend of mine and I are actually going to amass a collection of old cameras, he has more than I do, and set them up on a white backdrop and do a shoot about them...should be fun.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #8 · #498 Predecessors

My sympathies, Travis; I'm a long way from all my relatives and was prompted to call "home".
Thanks.

Good luck this week...
Jerry

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · #498 Predecessors

Tenn.Jer wrote:
My sympathies, Travis; I'm a long way from all my relatives and was prompted to call "home".
Thanks.

Good luck this week...
Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I had the pleasure of spending the last 10 years much closer to two of my grandparents, I enjoyed that time. Spend time with them when you can.

I might find a good one I have of my grandfather, and if the court allows post it for reference to the first camera in the shot.

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:59 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · #498 Predecessors

Travis, very sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to lose those close to you. So glad you got to spend time with them and get to know them. I am sure it meant a great deal to them.

I like how your shot represents the generations .

Birdie

Apr 24, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #11 · #498 Predecessors

birdied wrote:
Travis, very sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to lose those close to you. So glad you got to spend time with them and get to know them. I am sure it meant a great deal to them.

I like how your shot represents the generations .

Birdie

Thanks Roberta.

Glad to see the generations concept worked.

Apr 24, 2012 at 03:45 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · #498 Predecessors

Great shot Travis, especially for us camera types. I love the story of your time with Grandpa. My memories of my Grandpa are distant, but fruitful recollections just as yours are. It's great that a machine that captures bits in time can bring so much happiness and preserve so many special memories for us.

Apr 24, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #13 · #498 Predecessors

mark fadely wrote:
Great shot Travis, especially for us camera types. I love the story of your time with Grandpa. My memories of my Grandpa are distant, but fruitful recollections just as yours are. It's great that a machine that captures bits in time can bring so much happiness and preserve so many special memories for us.

Thanks Mark. Cameras do such a good job of capturing time, that we instantly go back to that moment when we view the results...the camera is such an invaluable part of my family. Thanks again.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Mado
• • • •
p.1 #14 · #498 Predecessors

This is a superb photograph. Good luck!

Apr 25, 2012 at 01:36 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #15 · #498 Predecessors

Mado wrote:
This is a superb photograph. Good luck!

Thank you very much, glad you like it.

Apr 25, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #16 · #498 Predecessors

I know its off topic, Klaus mentioned it...and it still being fresh...the man that was a major influence on who I am today...my grandfather, may his soul rest in peace, forever in our hearts.

Apr 25, 2012 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password