FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Water Lilies & odd Polarizer Behaviour

Bruce n Philly
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Water Lilies & odd Polarizer Behaviour

Here are some water lilies I took last fall over two days. The first day I used a polarizer, and I accidentally left it at home the next. The first two pics are with the filter and the third without (same time of day and almost same shooting positions for all).

What I found interesting is the polarizer removed all reflections except the flowers...Why? Odd, as I thought it would remove all reflections (not that I wanted that, but I was experimenting to learn). I suspect the index of refraction from the reflective angles of the flowers were different than all else..... hmmm....

C&C desired.... any insights into this polarizer thing?

Thanx
Bruce in Philly

My blog and humor about these photos.

1. With Polarizer

http://travelthroughpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6963TTP2.jpg

2 With Polarizer

http://travelthroughpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6970TTP1.jpg

3 Without Polarizer

http://travelthroughpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_7688TTP.jpg

Apr 23, 2012 at 08:56 AM
jgrau
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Water Lilies & odd Polarizer Behaviour

Excellent images, especially the ones with polarizer! Beautiful.

Joerg

Apr 23, 2012 at 09:22 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Water Lilies & odd Polarizer Behaviour

I like the last one without the polarizer, but it needs a tighter crop.

Apr 23, 2012 at 09:29 AM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Water Lilies & odd Polarizer Behaviour

I like the last best for light and depth, but these are all very nice. Love your low pov.

Barry

Apr 23, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Henga
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Water Lilies & odd Polarizer Behaviour

All are great. I think I prefer the ones with the polarizer. There's more depth in them and the water lilies stand out very well against the dark background.

Bruce n Philly wrote:
What I found interesting is the polarizer removed all reflections except the flowers...Why?

Don't see any reflection on the flowers. I guess you talk about the lily pads, don't you? If so, it looks like a normal behavior to me.

Polarizing the light by using a polarizer means to absorb rays according to a plane and an orientation so that only the photons that are orientated in the same direction can go through the filter. This way, we are able to filter rays that make the unwanted reflection.
What happens here is just that light rays that make the reflection on the water and on the lily pads are not in the same plane.

Arnaud

Apr 24, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Water Lilies & odd Polarizer Behaviour

I understand the question, Bruce. I'm reminded of Thomas Edison being asked "What is electricity?" and answering "Electricity is; use it." I submit that you've learned something organically, rather than intellectually. It doesn't really matter if you can explain what you see to yourself or anyone else; what matters is that you can take into account what you've observed when you're in a similar situation in the future.

I agree about the low angle making these pretty special.

Apr 24, 2012 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.