Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Maui Landscapes and the 5D3

erikmh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maui Landscapes and the 5D3

A couple weeks before I left for vacation with the family to Maui, I had bought a 5D3 but didn't have any shoots scheduled to give it a good workout. Even though I wouldn't be shooting any people or events in Maui, I did bring it with me to photography the scenery and take some more controlled and calculated landscapes while the baby was asleep in the evenings.

Firstly, by no means do I claim to be an expert landscape photographer. The last couple of years I have grown a passion for it, and I am still learning the craft of it. Finding the light for landscapes is much more difficult than finding the light for portraits, and i'm still learning and struggling with landscape composition. Trust me, I took a lot of crap images that I immediately trashed!

You can view my images that I am basing this loose and brief review on can be found at http://www.erikhornung.com

Here are a few comments and insights from using the 5D3 for the last week in Maui:

1. The button layout and menu system is completely different, and despite my frustrations with it all at first, but once I grew more accustomed to it, I decided it's much better than the 5D2.

2. I had no issues at all pertaining to the supposed "light leak" issue that is going around.

3. I did some messing around with the new HDR feature. Using the standard setting, the images appeared to look very good on the LCD. I was quite happy! Not looking to cartoony or otherworldly. However, once viewed in Lightroom on a larger screen I was unhappy with them as the images didn't blend to well and looked wonky and off. Thankfully, the camera keeps the three RAW images that make up the final HDR jpeg. None of the posted images are the HDR images from the camera.

3. The files out of this camera are amazing. Rather than using the HDR jpegs, I was able to pull the details from the shadows of an image anywhere from 2-3 stops with very usable results! This allowed me to get a very very subtle hdr feel without going to far. From the images I posted, you might think an image was a processed HDR, but honestly, it's not. I just pulled the detail out of the shadows quite a bit.

4. For those who care, all the processing was done in lightroom 4. White balance, tone, shadows, and highlights, and clarity all had some adjustments to them.

5. 90% of the shots were focused manually, so I can't comment to much on the autofocus. But for the images I did use AF, it was quite snappy and was never off of its target.

6. I went out one night to try out some star trail shots. I've never done this before so it was completely 100% new to me. I did a 1 hour exposure, which then resulted in another 1 hour of processing from the camera to reduce the noise. After waiting two hours the image was unusable to my standards because the noise was terrible (but maybe with some extra NR in LR, it'd have been much better.). The other reason the image was unusable was my error. It probably could have used another 30 minutes to 45 minutes of exposure. The image was underexposed.

That's about all I have to comment on now. Please take a look at the images and let me know what you think and to critique! I definitely want to become a better landscape photographer!

Also, please don't ask me to post 100% crops. I'm not a pixel peeper to that degree...and, I just don't feel like it :-)

http://www.erikhornung.comhttp://www.erikhornung.com

Apr 22, 2012 at 05:03 PM
HawaiianOnline
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maui Landscapes and the 5D3

Lovely series of images you have there. I like the DR shown in the images of Haleakala at sunrise. Thank you for sharing.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM
erikphoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maui Landscapes and the 5D3

Thanks! yeah, the DR is amazing! I found if you underexpose just a tad, you're able to retain the highlights, and the pull the blacks back in post quite nicely!

Apr 23, 2012 at 03:45 AM
erikphoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maui Landscapes and the 5D3

I added a new post to my blog, so here is the direct link to the Maui photos if you'd still like to take a look

http://www.erikhornung.com/?postID=52&maui-landscapes

I really should have done that in the first place! Sorry everyone!

Apr 23, 2012 at 04:41 AM
gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maui Landscapes and the 5D3

Having just been there, I enjoy seeing someone else's take in the island. Comparing and contrasting how you work with how I do it a great exercise.

I like your detail shots in this tropical location.

Apr 23, 2012 at 06:13 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password