Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon DPP Digital Lens Optimizer

rtburgess1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon DPP Digital Lens Optimizer

I've been playing around with Digital Lens Optimizer in Canon's newest version of their DPP software, and am a bit confused about when to apply it during the raw editing workflow.

The instructions on it in the DPP "help" menu say that sharpening should be set to zero before use, but that's about it. Does anyone know if it's best to apply other raw editing corrections (such as color balance, brightness, curve, saturation, contrast, etc) before or after using the Lens Optimizer? Also, any ideas about where the "slider" governing the amount of the Lens Optimizer effect should be set under normal circumstances?

Once the Lens Optimizer is applied can it subsequently be undone, or do you have to make a clean copy of the raw file before-hand in case you want to revert back to the original?

Many thanks for any input

Apr 22, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon DPP Digital Lens Optimizer

This is just an assumption on my part, but I'd say that the only reason you need to apply the lens optimizer first is that it will "enhance" any other edits you have made in ways that you did not foresee and therefore make you want to go back and alter them. That wastes your time and the easy to avoid it is to do the lens corrections first. Therefore I expect the logical workflow is to get the image from the camera and then fix what the lens did to it before applying fixes for what you or the sensor did to it.

DPP was among the first of the "undo-able" raw file editors and I'm sure that everything is still reversible and does not alter the original raw image data, although you may affect the built-in thumbnail preview image in the raw file, or other non-pixel data such as Canon-specific EXIF data. That's how it knows what you've done to the file in terms of edit commands, as there is no separate database or sidecar files involved.

I barely use DPP nowadays but I was once a "power user". The default slider positions are fairly meaningless in that the effect they have varies according to the picture style that you have chosen without changing the numeric values. No matter which value you start with you'll get something different when you change from say Neutral to Landscape, but you won't know what exactly has changed nor by how much. I hate that.

It doesn't help that the len optimizer has a distance scale with no scale information. Not all images provide the distance info and we can make a guess but can't see where that is on the scale. More excellent programming from the DPP authors; there are several things that have needed fixing for years and years.

- Alan

Apr 22, 2012 at 05:08 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password