Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

ferrerfoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I was always doing the online thing because of the savings with the online tax. Then I recently decided that I didnt mind paying the tax because 1. The money stays in my area where it helps to pay for police, fire, and schools, etc. and 2. It helps the local photo business. Not the taxes, the buying the gear there. Took me about 5 weeks to get the D4 from my local shop. I ordered with B&H within the first hour. I bet I'd be waiting for a couple more months before B&H would call me.

Back to the OP, I would say to try local. You will be waiting regardless at this point but you will probably get it sooner that way, unless you managed to get VERY high on B&H's list. The bad part of all of this is that B&H's wont (or cant) tell where you are on their list. Good look, hope you get one sooner than later!

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM
henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

surgeon1 wrote:
I pre-ordered a D800 from B&H on 2-7-2012. Does anyone know if B&H has shipped out any D800's, either to NPS or non-NPS customers? I keep getting the standard email stating that they are still backordered.

NPS members receive their D800 and D800E cameras directly from Nikon USA. We have not received any D800E cameras yet. The few D800 cameras we have received have all been sent to (non-NPS) customers.

Greta's camera was shipped to her directly by Nikon USA and came, I believe, from their NPS allotment. This has no effect on our allotment nor on any customer's place in our queue.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM
surgeon1
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

henryp wrote:
NPS members receive their D800 and D800E cameras directly from Nikon USA. We have not received any D800E cameras yet. The few D800 cameras we have received have all been sent to (non-NPS) customers.

Greta's camera was shipped to her directly by Nikon USA and came, I believe, from their NPS allotment. This has no effect on our allotment nor on any customer's place in our queue.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Any word from NikonUSA when you receive your next allotment and how many?

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

No. If silence is golden, Nikon USA is 24 karat.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Baywing
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

All the dealers are saying the same thing. NIkon USA is not telling them when nor how many units they will get. It's hard to keep customers informed without good information.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:54 PM
pacman642
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I placed an order with BHPhoto late, and really late. I wasn't sure if I was going to upgrade just yet, I ordered one and was told I was like in the 3000 range, not sure if that was true or not. Ended up calling some brick and mortar places, I just picked up mine after putting a cash deposit down on 3/22 at a local place. I can say that when I cancelled with BH I was never treat with such rudeness there before.

Apr 23, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Go local. I pre-ordered at B&H and Keeble and Schuchat the day the camera was announced. I received it from Keeble and Schuchat a week after the camera started shipping. Goodness knows when B&H will ship.

Arka C.

Apr 23, 2012 at 01:42 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

HenryP,

How did Greta qualify for NPS membership?
Are you sending your B&H mugs to other NPS members who have ordered their D800's to be received through B&H?

Thank you for your time.

Apr 23, 2012 at 03:58 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

AMaji wrote:
How did Greta qualify for NPS membership?

I don't know if she has NPS membership. I only know that Nikon USA supplied her camera directly, without any impact on our allocation, and suggested it was handled in the same manner as an NPS transaction.

Are you sending your B&H mugs to other NPS members who have ordered their D800's to be received through B&H?

We are not. The mugs were sent by a member of our marketing department. Until they'd been sent I was unaware we'd done so.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 23, 2012 at 04:00 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Thank you Henry for your reply. Even though the question was directed to you, the real ire was towards Nikon USA and their apparent preferential treatment to a high profile customer. It just riles me up when I see this kind of favoritism, or at least if it appears to me that way. Can you ask Nikon USA how Greta was eligible for NPS and maybe the non-pros can also try that channel?

I think you should send all the NPS D800 buyers (from B&H obviously) at least a mug just as B&H did for Greta. Most, if not all, of those NPS members have spent many thousands with B&H over the years and they surely will appreciate a mug

I have to tell you, I really appreciate you answering to the different posts.

Apr 23, 2012 at 04:26 PM
miloz
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Greta was shooting at 1600/3200 in the African sun, shutter priority at 1/160 and apertures f/29 & f/32.

Clearly an experienced photographer Nikon should cater to.

Apr 23, 2012 at 04:40 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

AMaji wrote:
Thank you Henry for your reply. Even though the question was directed to you, the real ire was towards Nikon USA and their apparent preferential treatment to a high profile customer. It just riles me up when I see this kind of favoritism, or at least if it appears to me that way. Can you ask Nikon USA how Greta was eligible for NPS and maybe the non-pros can also try that channel?

I think you should send all the NPS D800 buyers (from B&H obviously) at least a mug just as B&H did for Greta. Most, if not all, of
...Show more

For them, it's not favoritism but purely done so for marketing reasons to sustain their business model. The D800 is obviously one of the hottest items on the market this year. It would be an opportunity wasted not to capitalize on the opportunity to give Greta a D800 for maximum exposure. Is it right or wrong? It's neither... this is purely business.

Apr 23, 2012 at 04:50 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

fwiw, I ordered on 3/27 from Best Buy (over the phone, because their system would not allow an online order) and I got a shipment notification from them a couple hours ago. I think the typical channels for cameras like the D800 (Amazon, B&H, Adorama, etc.) were pretty saturated with pre-orders and still are. Some local stores or electronic retailers like Best Buy, where people might not normally buy a $3000 camera, received far fewer orders and are able to fulfill them a lot quicker.

Apr 23, 2012 at 05:06 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I think B&H customers would feel better about the wait if they knew the current earliest pre-order date. It would also cut the number of telephone calls asking where a person is on "the list."

Apr 23, 2012 at 05:09 PM
LXShooter
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Seemed like Best Buy got the bulk of the first shipment. About 80% of the D800 owners including myself got them either through NPS or Best Buy.

Apr 23, 2012 at 05:13 PM
surgeon1
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

My questions to Mr. Posner- Just exactly how many D800 's has B&H received from Nikon and how many have been shipped to customers? How many customers are on the wait list for the D800?
Thanks for responding to questions on the forum,
David

Apr 23, 2012 at 06:12 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

James R wrote:
I think B&H customers would feel better about the wait if they knew the current earliest pre-order date. It would also cut the number of telephone calls asking where a person is on "the list."

Good luck with that one. You should come read some of the threads that went on in the Canon forum during the first weeks of 5D3 release. There were a lot of angry people who had preordered on the first evening or next morning of the announcement and then were finding out that only people that had ordered in the first few minutes would even make it into the first shipment allotment. I had to cancel my preorder as I first found another store in NY that had it in stock and then actually found a Canadian store that had it in stock and agreed to match the US price. I've now learned my lesson....big ticket preorders are best left to small shops and not to BH and Amazon.

BH basically won't give out any information about how many orders or what spot you are on the list as they feel it will be worse if they over promise. Sounds like Nikon may be even more secretive than Canon was in telling retailers about upcoming shipment allotments but I think it would be beneficial to at least know that I'm the 200th on the list or whatever. From that info, I can make a better judgement on if I want to stick it out with the preorder or jump to other options. Sounds like with the D800 though that other options are very scarce.

My best friend is waiting on his D800 from some Canadian store but they have yet to receive a single D800. Because he is personal friends with the owner of the store he says that he got put to the top of the list despite only deciding to purchase on 2 weeks ago (also not very fair) but we shall see if he ever gets the damn camera or not.

Apr 23, 2012 at 07:38 PM
mikesrc
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I've said it once and will will say it again. I was on my local dealers back order list last August. And was # 10 on the list my sales person said bring money in Feb I did and got the second camera in the building. That was on March 22. Like they say money talks BS walks. Got mine and tickeled to death with it. Since I got mine they have received 3 more. Guess I got luckey

Apr 23, 2012 at 08:08 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

surgeon1 wrote:
My questions to Mr. Posner- Just exactly how many D800 's has B&H received from Nikon and how many have been shipped to customers? How many customers are on the wait list for the D800?
Thanks for responding to questions on the forum,
David

I doubt that B&H will share what they would/should view as business secrets with us.

But I have related question for Henry.

How many of those pre-orders were duplicates, triplicates or worse? How in the world do you (B&H) determine what percentage of the pre-orders were made by people that had no intention of paying for them?

Apr 24, 2012 at 06:31 AM
surgeon1
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

RoyC wrote:
I doubt that B&H will share what they would/should view as business secrets with us.

But I have related question for Henry.

How many of those pre-orders were duplicates, triplicates or worse? How in the world do you (B&H) determine what percentage of the pre-orders were made by people that had no intention of paying for them?

Never hurts to ask though!

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:15 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.