Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lossy DNG

brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lossy DNG

So is anyone using the new lossy feature in DNG 6.6? The prospect of using a D800 for volume work like weddings got me wondering, and I spent some time playing around with it last night using my D3S files and a few D800 raws I downloaded. So far I'm very impressed, it reduced the file size about 60-70% and I could find NO difference in the image doing normal adjustments. When doing some extreme adjustments, like +3 stops exposure and +50 shadows, I can see some difference, but really even the NEF looks like junk at that point.

So who's using it? Who's explored the pros and cons?

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM
slrl0ver
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lossy DNG

Brett,

After your posting, I did some searching and found this thread with more details about what's actually being done behind the scenes:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947446?start=0&tstart=0

I haven't used it yet (personally) but it seems like they could have done a better job by using something like wavelets instead of the standard scheme (DCT) used by JPEG. Their scheme, in my opinion, is like a more modern JPEG but with better latitude for post-processing.

Like all tools, it might be the right approach for a large volume of pictures where the absolute quality is secondary to the volume of data you have to deal with. Eric (of Adobe) does seem to indicate they did a lot of testing before deploying, so maybe this is really the ticket.

- slrl0ver

Apr 23, 2012 at 07:57 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password