Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Smoky Mountains

jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smoky Mountains

Here are a few from my recent trip to the Smoky Mountains last weekend. Super photogenic place! The first was taken about 20 ft from our campsite in Elkmont, the second was taken at the trailhead for the Ramsey Cascades (that's a brutal hike!), the third was taken early morning on the Cades Cove loop, and the fourth one is Laurel Falls.

Apr 20, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Loscar Numael
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smoky Mountains

Love the wide FOV on that second one!

What FL was it?

Regards

Apr 20, 2012 at 03:42 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smoky Mountains

I was at 17mm on a 1.3 crop...so 21 or 22. But I was up on a bridge, and able to shoot down which kind of increased that feel.

Apr 20, 2012 at 03:45 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smoky Mountains

Very nice shots, Jason, of a beautiful place. My favorite is Laurel Falls because it so often gets too much sunlight for such shots. You did well. Where's the shot of Ramsey Cascades, the prettiest place of all?

Apr 20, 2012 at 03:52 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smoky Mountains

Looks like home! I like the Cades Cove shot. I always say they would have had to bring the army to drag me out of that place when they formed the Park (which is what they did at the time).

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:11 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Smoky Mountains

Ugh. Ramsey Cascades gave me fits this year. I couldn't get the light the way I wanted...This was the best I could do there. I'm working on a B&W version...I think I'll probably settle on that one. In addition to these, we hit Abrams falls and Rainbow falls too. 25 miles of hiking in 3 days. This trip is causing me to look at a compact point and shoot that can do raw files!

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:16 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Smoky Mountains

Here's the B&W version of Ramsey.

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:24 PM
NuclearRoy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Smoky Mountains

Very nice work. Makes me home sick

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:27 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Smoky Mountains

Nice. Ramsey always seems to look better in B&W.

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Smoky Mountains

Hey Jason,

Cool shots here. A lot of hiking in a short time, but it looks like it's worth it. #1 is my favorite here, though you have a whole nice series of shots. It's great to see a shot of Laurel Falls without people running through it.

As for a compact P&S that shoots raw. That's already out there, but it's not just shooting raw that's important, it's getting a camera with a big enough sensor that you can get enough detail to work with. Sometimes a lower end DSLR DX format is the way to go. The bells and whistles have been cut from the body, but atleast you have a lightweight body if that's your goal.

Jim

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:46 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Smoky Mountains

Yeah, I have a 20D that I could have taken...but ended up carying 10 lbs of camera gear everywhere...The funny thing is that some of the best images (#1 included) were in the actual campground!

I've been looking at the Canon s100 and the G12's right now for the compact...I'd only shoot them in adequate light, from what i can see, those do a fairly good job at that. I don't know how much difference you'd see up to 11x14. I have an 8x10 image of Ramsey hanging on my wall that was taken with a 4mp Minolta P&S, and I love that image!

Apr 20, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Smoky Mountains

I love #3; you had a super sky for that! And I really like the feel of #1. I can imagine being there.

Bev

Apr 20, 2012 at 06:36 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Smoky Mountains

Always like seeing photos by photographers who don't live around here. As much as I try not to, I tend to take for granted some places in the park. I never tire of photographing it, though. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Apr 21, 2012 at 02:24 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Smoky Mountains

Very nice work. I like photo # 1

Apr 21, 2012 at 04:11 AM
FoTollery

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Smoky Mountains

A very nice set of images! I think I'm liking the B&W of Ramseys best, but their all nicely done.

I was just there also....got in last Sunday and left yesterday. GSMNP is definitely a photographer's paradise!

If you were camping, would I be correct in thinking you stored all your images on memory cards, and didn't have a chance to look at them until you got home?

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Smoky Mountains

Thanks everyone! Yes, all the images were on memory cards. The viewvinder is pretty bad on that camera, so I didn't really see any of the images until I got home. I brought 2 batteries, but only needed one. took about 1000 shots.

Apr 23, 2012 at 01:57 AM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Smoky Mountains

Really like the dark-ish misty light in the first 2.

Barry

Apr 23, 2012 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password