Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Algonquin Loon Family

Alan Dean
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Algonquin Loon Family

Hi I have been admiring and learning from all the contributors to the forum for sometime now. The first time submitting is a bit of a struggle , first to get the sizing correct and then to consider even uploading an image which is suitable for the forum. Anyway here goes.

The Algonquin Loon Family is part of a string of images that was taken In Algonquin Park about 5,30 am with poor light last June during a Loon workshop. The image is somewhat different than most wildlife images in that it appears to be somewhat artistic, perhaps like a watercolour as compared to a more detailed photograph in a natural setting. The result was not expected nor intended .

Appreciate your C&C. Thanks Alan.

Alan Dean 2012

Apr 20, 2012 at 03:09 PM
GeorgeM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Algonquin Loon Family

Beautiful capture Alan. I like this very much. (Still a little large though. Try 800px on the long side.)

George

Apr 20, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Algonquin Loon Family

Great composition. Looks either over-processed or over-cropped.

Most viewers can handle 1,000 pixels on the horizontal.

Tony

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Alan Dean
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Algonquin Loon Family

Thanks George , I am working from a new Imac and not sure how to change the length, it must be giving viewers a fit. Alan

Apr 20, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Alan Dean
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Algonquin Loon Family

Hi Tony , yes for sure I over processed the image looking for a different affect . Attached is a copy of the original and I hope it is properly sized, if you are interested I would be pleased to learn how you would have adjusted it. Thanks for your help Alan

NIKON D300    300mm    f/7.1    1/200s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 20, 2012 at 05:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Algonquin Loon Family

Alan Dean wrote:
Hi Tony , yes for sure I over processed the image looking for a different affect . Attached is a copy of the original and I hope it is properly sized, if you are interested I would be pleased to learn how you would have adjusted it. Thanks for your help Alan

Sorry Alan, but the original looks a bit too washed out and not sharp enough to recover much in post-processing.

You could always go for even a more artistic look by applying more filters. I applied a Topaz filter and a Photoshop filter to your first image:

Apr 20, 2012 at 06:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Algonquin Loon Family

That's a tough one to recover given the lighting conditions and focus. You did quite well given what you had. That's why we take thousands of images so we get it right somehow! Keep shooting Don

Apr 20, 2012 at 07:26 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Algonquin Loon Family

I think 1 is a cool shot, and it looks like you did good at working with what you had as the original. It's still a cool shot, and i'm glad you shared. I've never even seen a loon w/ chicks. I do also like Tony's suggestion for the filter - looks good.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Algonquin Loon Family

You have done a wonderful job Alan. Welcome to the forum. I do quite a bit of artistic wildlife images as well as traditional work. Take a look at my site if you want some ideas.

Morris

Apr 21, 2012 at 01:01 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Algonquin Loon Family

The good: Loons are always cool, great catching it with the young, low angle is nice.

The bad: No light doesn't help when trying to get detail in the dark areas. Keep on trying Alan, I know you'll nail a killer shot soon!

Apr 21, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Alan Dean
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Algonquin Loon Family

Ashley , thanks , the original is better than what is showing here, perhaps i did something in the upload, but I appreciate your comment.

Apr 21, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Alan Dean
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Algonquin Loon Family

Conrad and Morris , thanks , I look at your amazing work all the time , I appreciate the both of you taking the time to share your comments. Alan

Apr 21, 2012 at 01:20 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password