New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Instant wireless photo display

ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Instant wireless photo display

Hey guys, one of my biggest clients just mentioned they had seen a photographer recently at an event whose images from the were coming up on a display as he was shooting, and they want me to offer this. So my questions are on hardware and software.

I see the WT-4a is compatible with both my D800 and D7000. I also see it costs $700!?!? I also know there are those little Wifi SD cards, would one of those suffice? Is a router or some other device necessary on the laptop?

And on the software end, I just saw mention that the WT-4a uses the Nikon capture software. I would rather have a solution that is straight to Lightroom, or some other slideshow app.

FYI I have been interested in a wireless solution for a while because I sometimes have to shoot tethered for my commercial work, so the client can review as we work. And I loathe working with the wire tether, so this would be a dual solution for me, both commercial and event. What is the best way to do this, cost effectively? Thanks!

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:57 AM
colinm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Instant wireless photo display

Drop the 700 clams on the Nikon kit. The little WiFi SD cards are more trouble than they're worth, especially when you toss them into a well-built, largely RF-opaque DSLR body.

Lightroom can be configured to use a watched folder, so even if you have to use Nikon Capture as a dumb pipe to get the pixels from camera to computer (I can't answer that one), you don't actually have to use Nikon Capture.

Unless the computer also needs to access the internet or you need to work at super long distances, you don't need any additional hardware. You just set it to create a WiFi network instead of joining one and it's off to the races. If you do need to work with longer distances than your computer's antennas allow, any cheap WiFi router will plug into an available outlet and give you a much wider range.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Instant wireless photo display

Thank you, I appreciate that. Yes, I've used those watched folders before, when I was tethered with my Canon camera. I had the EOS utility importing and Lightroom watching the folder.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM
teebat
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Instant wireless photo display

I have my camera connected to a big screen tv using a HD cable, it's instant and there is software of computer required. How big of a screen do you need? You could always use a LCD projector and the HD cable.

Apr 21, 2012 at 06:14 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Instant wireless photo display

colinm wrote:
Drop the 700 clams on the Nikon kit. The little WiFi SD cards are more trouble than they're worth, especially when you toss them into a well-built, largely RF-opaque DSLR body..

Certainly not in my experience!

I have no trouble sending the signal 10 meters at full speed and over 20 at reduced speed but still with reliable and constant communication.

For my outdoor event work I have my laptop near me and send the Wifi signal from the camera to the laptop then bounce that out through an attached wifi router on another channel connected to a high gain Home made dish antenna to my event trailer 70M away or more. I NEVER have a problem with it. Once it hits the trailer the images goes into a folder which the software looks at and processes it straight into the galleries and onto the V stations.

For indoor event work I regularly use the instant image display as I find it is a great selling tool. People love seeing their image straight away but I usually set the monitor up so the onlookers and I can see it.
It brings a lot of people up who were not going to have pics taken but saw what I was shooting of other people and changed their minds. I generally use the DSLR remote Pro software for this.
On my last corporate event, 17 yo son worked out how to incorporate the green screen software we were using to instantly batch the images we were shooting onto the background and then display them within seconds. Not sure how he did it but it worked a bloody treat.

I used the WIfi card for that and did over 300 shots and didn't drop one in the transfer or have a single issue. I have used the card in the CF adapters which many say son't work but with the RIGHT adapter, it works just fine. Range is maybe halved but within that, again perfect.

I forked out a fortune for the canon Wifi transfer thing previously and it was a total and utter POS!
I spent endless hours on it, had all sorts of knowledgeable people on it and the thing defied them all and logic. The thing was definitely not faulty, just pathetically hard to get to work for reasons unknown . from the research I did it seems getting the things to work was quite a feat at any time and most people like me gave the things up as a bad joke. I would take it things have since improved, they would have had to in order for people not to be lynched but that left a real bad taste.

The little wifi card OTOH was a cinch to set up and works perfectly no matter what camera I stuff it in from an slr to my daughters P&S.

All I can say is there is no way I'd be paying $700 for a wifi setup to do this kind of work when you can get great units for under $150.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Instant wireless photo display

So Glort you are using the EyeFi with a CF card adapter? What make CF Card Adapter by chance? That would be great for me with just lightroom watching the folder.

Apr 25, 2012 at 02:06 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Instant wireless photo display

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!loE2EvWzpy!BNlrBzIV2w~~_3.JPG

This one.

IT's the ONLY one I found would work. Others said they would, they didn't for me.

These things are generic and sold under different brands but just go by the pic and look for the same one.
It also helps a lot to peel the metal cover off the top where the card sits so the signal comes out better. Doesn't effect the adapter operation at all...except to make it work better of course.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320692919607?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM
fastshooter1

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Instant wireless photo display

Can you shoot tethered or does it have to be wireless? Shoot tethered to a rig like this: http://bit.ly/LaYbHn

May 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM
turbodude
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Instant wireless photo display

For some reason my d800 doesn't like the eyefi card

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Instant wireless photo display

I just put together a simple Eye-Fi to iPad system at the request of a hospital client. It works flawlessly - so far - using my D7000. One card slot holds a 16-gig SD card for RAW images and the other slot holds the Eye-Fi Pro x2 card to hold & transfer low-res jpgs for my client to see in about 5 seconds. I'm using the Shuttersnitch app on the iPad. It will transfer images through a network if I choose to go that route but I like the independence from that with the direct card to iPad for exterior shoots.

Aug 29, 2012 at 09:24 PM
jamez
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Instant wireless photo display

It probably doesn't help, but I've configured my D4 to go wireless (instead of using the Nikon dongle for $125) but it's via the Ethernet port and a Zalip battery powered wireless router (on my hip) tethered to my D4 via a 3 foot Ethernet cable (so a wired, wireless solution).

I've also configured my D3 (not D3s) to use the eye-fi with the adapter listed above

Once it's wireless then it's the delivery & display method - which there are many out there.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:54 PM
shmoogy

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Instant wireless photo display

If you're super tech inclined you can make one yourself:

http://davidhunt.ie/?p=2641

I'm hoping to get some time to make one myself in the future.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:37 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Instant wireless photo display

Capture One has an App that can be used with an iPad. I have not used it but it's worth checking into.

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:59 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.